Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823070 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3960 on: May 10, 2020, 05:37:13 PM »
I've watched that episode about a dozen times & never spotted any of those things.

Hi Pen,

I am not really surprised.  When we watch a show we like, we see what we want to see.  We don't watch it looking for errors, but there are obviously people who do.  I had never watched this episode. As you probably realised all that information was cut and pasted from the internet.  Although for interest, I did watch This clip.

Seeing as it is Sunday, my puzzle today is a phrase from Matthew Chapter 5 of the Bible
#7 #3 3 #11

the

Bonus Questions:

Who manufactured the Pistols in the last picture?

What is the next phrase in Matthew?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:15 AM »
Hi Jack

Talk about a change in the weather :o  Yesterday when I left work it was sunny & my car said 25c.  Today when I went to get some milk it's bucketing down with rain & 11c.

Top notch cartoons if I may say so :laugh:  I especially loved the sheep ones :)

Sunday school was probably many more years ago than I can remember but I did get the phrase in your puzzle.  I couldn't quite recall the next bit so I had to seek a bit of help from Ms Google!  'For they shall be called the children of God'
I'm a bit stumped over the manufacturer of the pistols. Smith & Wesson is the only one I've really heard of.

My puzzle is a song from 1973.
#7 #5 #2 #7

For your bonus please say who had a hit with the song & who recorded it originally under what title.

A policeman was rushed to the hospital with an inflamed appendix. The doctors operated and advised him that all was well. However, the policeman kept feeling something pulling at his pubic hairs.
Worried that it might be a second surgery and the doctors hadn't told him about it, he finally plucked up the courage to pull his hospital gown up enough so he could look at what was making him so uncomfortable. Taped firmly across his pubic hair and private parts were three wide strips of adhesive tape, the kind that doesn't come off easily --- if at all.
Written on the tape in large black letters was the sentence, "Get well soon from the nurse in the Landrover you booked for speeding last week."

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 11, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

You almost caught me with your puzzle.  I looked at the first three pictures and I was off to Memphis with Chris Stapleton.  Then I had another look at the fourth picture and couldn’t see how I could relate it to Memphis and then I realised there are two songs with identical titles apart from their destination.  It’s enough to give you the “pips”.  But I’ll leave them to Gladys Knight.

The song was originally written and performed by Jim Weatherly with a title that featured another form of transport to Houston.

You’ll get the answer on the maker of the gun if you google “Peacemaker 1873”, although by the time that model was manufactured Samuel, whose surname is still used by the company today, had been dead for a decade.  I believe the company is probably as well known as Smith and Wesson.

Since last Friday, Blue is now allowed to visit me.  His latest stories are about one of his neighbours, Freddie, who is a Yorkshireman.  As I’ve told you before Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman but tha can’t tell him mooch.

Shortly after Freddie arrived in Bowral, he showed Blue a telegram from home:

'Regret father died this morning early hours STOP. Funeral Wednesday STOP Yorkshire two hundred and one for six STOP Boycott not out ninety six.'

Freddie heard Blue was almost as good as a Vet with animals.

Freddie: Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee about me cat.
Blue: Is it a tom?
Freddie: Nay, I've browt it with us.

Now I know you were a Sunday School graduate, I will stick with a religious theme for today’s puzzle.  I was familiar with Lourdes and Fatima but I hadn’t heard of a similar event in the British Isles until I was doing the research for today’s puzzle.  The answer today is a building which commemorates an event which took place in 1879.

3  #6  2  #3&4  2  #5

The of of

Bonus points:

Where is the building?

What is the event it commemorates?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:01:18 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:43 PM »
Hi Jack

A sneaky little puzzle if I may say so :laugh:  Took a fair bit of working out but I think I got there in the end!
I believe the building is in Knock in County Mayo Ireland.  The following is from Ms Google ;)
The evening of Thursday, 21 August 1879, was a very wet night. At about 8 o'clock the rain beat down in driving sheets when Mary Byrne, a girl of the village, accompanying the priest's housekeeper, Mary McLoughlin, home, stopped suddenly as she came in sight of the gable of the little church. There she saw standing a little out from the gable, were three life-size figures. She ran home to tell her parents and soon others from the village had gathered. The witnesses stated they saw an apparition of Our Lady, Saint Joseph and Saint John the Evangelist at the south gable end of the local small parish church, the Church of Saint John the Baptist. Behind them and a little to the left of Saint John was a plain altar. On the altar was a cross and a lamb (a traditional image of Jesus), with adoring angels. A farmer, about half a mile away from the scene, later described what he saw as a large globe of golden light above and around, the gable, circular in appearance.  For nearly two hours a group that fluctuated between two and perhaps as many as twenty-five stood or knelt gazing at the figures as rain lashed them in the gathering darkness.

My puzzle is a children's book.
#3 #5 #2 #12 7+4+1
Theof

For your bonus please say who wrote the book & who illustrated it.  Can you name the main character as well please.

I very much enjoyed your Yorkshire themed jokes.  Going to be hard to top them!

A man stops by his local florist shop to buy flowers for his new girlfriend. He asks the proprietor, "You know the expression, 'You should say it with flowers'?"
"How about three dozen of my finest roses?" the florist asks.
"Make it a half dozen roses," the man answers. "I'm a man of few words."
I think this gent might be a Yorkshireman :laugh:

Nearly lunchtime :-H  cheese & tomato today - I know how to live life on the edge :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: May 12, 2020, 01:19:22 AM »
Hi Pen,

Full Marks on my puzzle.

There was a problem with yours in that the second picture didn't come out.  On the iPad it showed as a blank frame and on the PC there was no indication that it was there at all.  It appears to be one of those "proxy" ones we had trouble with several weeks ago.

However I believe the book is written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake. It was first published in London in 1991, after Dahl's death, by Century. The protagonist is a dyslexic vicar, Robert Lee, and the book was written to benefit the Dyslexia Institute in London (now Dyslexia Action), with Dahl and Blake donating their rights.

For the benefit of others this might be used instead of the missing picture.

Must get back to my beauty sleep  :D

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 12, 2020, 04:29:53 AM »
Thanks Jack :)  It's annoying when it does that but top marks for solving it anyway.  It was a picture of some rather nice looking grub on a buffet!
Penx

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: May 12, 2020, 10:13:27 AM »
A Roald Dahl book that I hadn't heard of and had certainly never read!
I shall do my best to rectify that as soon as possible!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 12, 2020, 06:14:34 PM »
I'll bet you'll enjoy it Mike :)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
I've not found a Roald Dahl book that I haven't enjoyed, whether it was reading Matilda to my kids when they were very small or reading the short stories by myself.

Most of all I like the fact that every RD book has a dark side to it. There are some fairly nasty spoiled brats in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', for example, and they do get their come-uppance in some nasty ways!

My favourite? The Witches. Don't know why, it just is!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: May 12, 2020, 08:27:03 PM »
Hi Jack

Have the delights of fracture clinic this morning.  Things do seem to be getting slightly busier on the orthopaedic clinic front but my department is still only booking urgent & 2 week wait appointments for the moment.

I know my memory isn't always up to scratch but I do seem to recall that the styling is due to begin at yours today which probably means you've had a busy day.  I was hunting for a puzzle & I found something that was interesting but I don't think it'll tax you too much.
This is something that happened in Britain in May 1840. #5 #5 #8

An easy puzzle & an easy bonus!  Please name the gent who game up with this brilliant idea.
If you haven't got it by now this poem will give it away :laugh:

“You must kiss our fair Queen,
or her pictures, that’s clear.
Or the gummy medallion
will never adhere.
You will not kiss her hand,
you will readily find
But actually kiss little Vicky’s behind.”

I'll leave you with a couple of naff jokes ;D

I was visiting my daughter last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.
'This is the 21st century,' she said. 'We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, use my iPad.'.
I can tell you this... That fly never knew what hit him!

“In a lesser known sequel by Jack London, Buck joins a pack of vegetarians wolves. It is called 'Kale of the Wild.'”

An hour to lunch.  Another variation on cheese today - cheese & coleslaw :-H 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 12, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »

Most of all I like the fact that every RD book has a dark side to it. There are some fairly nasty spoiled brats in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', for example, and they do get their come-uppance in some nasty ways!

My favourite? The Witches. Don't know why, it just is!

Spot on Mike!  My favourite is The Twits.  Matilda is classic & brilliant.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 12, 2020, 09:38:43 PM »
An hour to lunch.  Another variation on cheese today - cheese & coleslaw

Tuna, salad cream and spring onion sarnie for me, Pen!  Yum!!

I have never read any Roald Dahl books - Wind in the Willows for me, every time!  >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 12, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
You should give them a try, Linda.

Most of them don't have birds or creepy-crawly things in them. It's usually [some of] the people who are nasty.

PS I love 'Wind in the Willows' although at a pinch I would choose the two 'Alice' books.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 13, 2020, 04:31:28 AM »
Quote from: Linda

Tuna, salad cream and spring onion sarnie for me, Pen!  Yum!!

Oh Linda I didn't spot your post until I got home from work & was enjoying my cup of builders & thought that does sound very scrummy!  So off to the kitchen to start my tea & make my lunch for tomorrow. I then had to hunt in the cupboard for tuna :laugh:  I had to substitute spring onion with tomato.   Not quite the same but it'll make a change from cheese.  Please do feel free to share any more sarnie fillings :)  Love to try different things & we do have quite similar tastes :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 13, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »
Hi Pen,

I thought I'd legitimise my post with a

Yesterday was a bit of a funny day.  Last Friday my left hand had a run-in with some boiling fat while I was barbecuing some sausages.  It was starting to look a bit ugly, so I went off to see the doctor yesterday morning to see that we had been doing the right things with it.  I was very careful not to get Doctor Quack  :D.  Apparently, the only thing I had done wrong was to get impatient and stop running cold water on it after 3 or 4 minutes rather than the recommended 20 minutes.  I got a tetanus needle and some expert bandaging and the advice that it would be good as new within a fortnight.  I was really pleased with that because it wasn’t as good as new before the accident.

We just beat the Estate agents home.  They worked on 3 bedrooms, leaving the main bedroom to be titivated next Monday before the photo shoot on Tuesday.  They also started to drop off their fancy furniture for the other room.  We had to do a little bit of furniture shifting into the main bedroom but basically all the work was done by them.  We just had to keep out of their road.  They come back on Friday to finish the rest of the house.

Great puzzle and a funny poem.  On 13 February 1837, Sir Rowland Hill proposed the concept to a government enquiry and it took over 3 years to come to fruition.

Blue has tried out a few religions.  For a while he was a member of one, I won’t name it, in which the Pastor’s stipend was determined by the congregation.  When the Pastor’s wife was expecting their first child, he went to the congregation and asked for a raise. After much consideration and discussion, they passed a rule that whenever the Pastor's family expanded, so would his stipend.

After 6 children, this started to get expensive and the Congregation decided to hold another meeting to discuss the Pastor's salary. There was much yelling and bickering about how much the clergyman's additional children were costing the church.

Finally, the Pastor got up and spoke to the crowd, "Children are a gift from God," he said.

Silence fell on the congregation.  From the back of the room, Blue stood up and said, "Rain is also a gift from God, but when we get too much, we wear rubbers".

And the whole congregation said, “Amen”

The puzzle today is to name the 900-1000 monolithic human statues you would find in Polynesia. The tallest is almost 10 metres (33 ft) high and weighs 82 tonnes .

3 #6 #6 4#2&2

The    

Regards, Jack