Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814686 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3735 on: April 04, 2020, 12:48:24 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm taking a break from housework but as the sun is nowhere near the yardarm I wont have a drink yet >:D  I do have a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge for ron which I'm looking forward to.  I wont tell you what colour it is :laugh:

It took a bit of doing but I finally managed to crack both puzzles!  Like you I've only seen the second one.  I was all set to go to the pictures to see the first one when I read it wasn't actually filmed in Guernsey.  For some illogical reason that irritated me so I didn't go.  There were 2 other names I recognised apart from Tom Courtenay.  Penelope Wilton & Katherine Parkinson.  The latter was in a sitcom called the IT crowd.  
It was set during the occupation & 4 friends were caught by German soldiers breaking the curfew.  They quickly invented a book club (the name of the film) as the reason for being out.

The second film starred one of my most favourite actors when I was young.  David Niven.  The epitome of suave sophistication :)  His co-star was Glynis Johns.  The animal was a cow & the fictitious island was Armorel. The film was believed to be shot on Sark.

I have a friend who was a child living in Guernsey during the occupation.  He said many families got away from the island in time but, unfortunately, his didn't.  He said it was a terrible time & many of the islanders were close to starvation.

As you've brought him back to my mind I thought  I'd offer you a David Niven film. 8, 2, 6.

I've given you the title under which the film was released in the USA.  For your bonus can you please name the British title & 2 of Niven's co-stars.

Your supplementary puzzle is one of David Niven's books. Don't think you need a word count!
Thea

Better get on with it.  The housework wont do itself unfortunately!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:51:45 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 04, 2020, 02:35:32 AM »
Hi Moyra,

Congratulations on getting both answers.  I’ve had a further look at the reviews of the first movie and they describe it as the greatest thing since sliced bread - my words not theirs and I realise it is showing my age.  I will get a copy and get back to you with an informed opinion.

Unless a miracle happens, I can’t see that we will get to your neighbourhood this winter but if a miracle does happen, we have done all the preliminary work at this end to move quickly.

I hope you and yours avoid the nasty bug and we all get back to normal as soon as possible..
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 04, 2020, 03:10:14 AM »
Hi Pen,

I don’t disapprove of you drinking pale pink muck just so long as I don’t have to drink it too. ;)

Full marks for the puzzle and an extra mark for those excellent cartoons.

I think the following quote should earn me the bonus points.

{The answer} is a 1946 British fantasy-romance film set in England during the Second World War. Written, produced and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, the film stars David Niven, Roger Livesey, Raymond Massey, Kim Hunter and Marius Goring.

The film was originally released in the United States under the title Stairway to Heaven, which derived from the film's most prominent special effect: a broad escalator linking Earth to the afterlife. The decision to film the scenes of the Other World in black and white added to the complications. They were filmed in Three-strip Technicolor, but colour was not added during printing, giving a pearly hue to the black and white shots, a process cited in the screen credits as "Colour and Dye-Monochrome Processed in Technicolor". This reversed the effect in The Wizard of Oz.[nb 1] Photographic dissolves between "Technicolor Dye-Monochrome" (the Other World) and Three-Strip Technicolor (Earth) are used several times during the film.

I am in two minds about how to answer your question on the books. Do I waffle on about satellites of planets and lighter than air transport or do I do a charade and turn my back, drop the daks, bend over and expel some gas. >:D

I am too comfortable and warm under the, how doyou call it?, continental quilt duvet to go to the computer to develop a puzzle, so it’s  :-Z :-Z

P.S. You do realise the sun is over the yardarm in half the world at any time. It is permissible to travel mentally to assuage your conscience.  :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:28:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 04, 2020, 03:47:48 AM »
My bonus question for you, Jack and Pen:

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger were like the Coen Brothers of their age and they worked together on some of the best British movies of the era ('The Red Shoes' is a masterpiece, in my very humble opinion, although 'A Matter of Life and Death' is also outstanding) and their partnership had a nickname; together they were known as 'The ________.'

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:33:51 AM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 04, 2020, 05:22:26 AM »
An interesting question Mike.  I'm going to let that one go through to the keeper for tonight as I'm a bit knacked & just got enough energy to find a few words.  I've no doubt Jack will be on it tomorrow :)  Isn't it funny how I feel a lot more tired than usual even though it's very quiet at work.  Maybe it's working in a hospital in the current environment that's not helping.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: April 04, 2020, 05:32:20 AM »
Hi Again Jack

You do make me laugh :laugh:  Top bonus points & an extra point for being funny with it!

You're right, of course,  about the sun being over the yardarm in half the world at any time.  Problem is if I drink in the day I feel sluggish & a bit out of bonk.  Anyway I'm going to search for a few words & then flop in front of the telly with a glass of my pink muck :laugh:  (it's actually a really nice pinot noir rose!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: April 04, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Hi Mike,

I am not going to let Pen off the hook although I might give a few hints.  Their collective name was the same as the name of the production company they formed in 1942, which was a significant year for me  ;).  They have copyrighted their logo but not apparently the name.

{Their collective name} is a British radio soap opera on BBC Radio 4—the BBC's main spoken-word channel—broadcast since 1951. It was initially billed an everyday story of country folk and now, a contemporary drama in a rural setting. Having aired over 19,100 episodes, it is the world's longest-running drama

The six degrees of separation is an interesting concept.  Doing the research for your question I followed a line which led me to This bit of trivia.  Can you see the connection?  To get started you should look at the last sentence in the first paragraph of the history section.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:46:10 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: April 04, 2020, 09:26:19 AM »
1. I feel sluggish & a bit out of bonk.  

2. a glass of my pink muck :laugh:  (it's actually a really nice pinot noir rose!)

1. I had to look Bonk up to find you have used it correctly in English usage, but you should be careful using it to an Australian. :D

2.  As the Roman poet and philosopher Titus Lucretius Carus (known as Lucretius) is reputed to have said a little while ago, the first century BC to be precise, "quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum" (what is food for one man may be bitter poison to others). I had a crack at doing my own translation and come up with "What is Hobbit's really nice pinot noir rose is Ozzyjack's glass of pink muck". >:D

If I can get the brain working, I will be back with a puzzle later.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:28:35 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: April 04, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
One word to say to you, Jack - 'Toxophilus'.

;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: April 04, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
'Toxophilus'.

Spot on.  In browsing around I determined I must do a puzzle on Elizabeth I - an amazing woman.  But today I am working on one about another amazing woman.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: April 04, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

Smee again with snow inspiration.

There are very few towns in Australia where the streets are numbered rather than named.  We have more imagination than some, but Blue once had a bus driver job in one of those unimaginative towns.

One day a woman got on his bus. Without saying a word, she gestured to Blue by sticking her thumb on her nose and waving her fingers at him.

Blue acknowledges the woman, turned to her and used both hands in the same type of gesture and waves all his fingers at her.

The woman held her right arm out at Blue and chops at it a few times with her left hand.

Then Blue put his left hand on his right bicep and jerks his right arm up in a fist at her.

The woman then cups both of her hands under her breasts and lifts gently. So Blue places both of his hands at his crotch and gently lifts.

Then the woman frowns, runs a finger up between her bum, and got off the bus.

A woman sitting in the front row of the bus who witnessed the whole exchange, said, “That was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen on a public bus! What the hell were you doing?”

Listen, love,” said Blue gruffly, “that woman was profoundly deaf.  She asked me if the bus went to 5th Street. I said no, we go to 10th Street. She asked if we make many stops. I told her that this was the express. She asked if we go by the dairy, and I told her we go by the ballpark. She said “Shit, I’m on the wrong bus!” and got off.

When I was working on yesterday’s puzzle, I came upon a biography about an amazing woman and I was so interested in the blurb, I bought the Audiobook.  So, today’s puzzle is the name of the book   1 5 2 2 10(2 4 4)

Hint and warning:  There is a book by the same name by Oscar Wilde.  That is not the one you want for the bonus questions.

of    

Bonus Questions:

What did the heroine call her prosthetic leg?
What was the nickname the Germans gave her?
Who did she marry in 1957?  What was their previous relationship?

Well, Pen, I’ve got egg on my face.  I quickly dismissed the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society based on a quickly read and not very well understood synopsis.  Moyra’s recommendation made me reconsider and I watched the movie this afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed it and if the book is as good as the movie, I would unreservedly recommend it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:41:57 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:04 AM »
Hi Jack

Loved your latin translation & cartoon selection :laugh:

Your clue to Mike's bonus question gave it me in one!  These everyday country folk live in Ambridge so the answer is The Archers ;)

Bonk means the same here as it does there >:D  I'm all out of bonk was a favourite made up expression of Ray's.  He just meant all out of kilter!

Is that egg scrambled or fried? :laugh:  I'm sorry I didn't make the effort to see The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at the pictures now :(  I'll look out for it on TV.

Your puzzle was a cracker & she was, as you say, an amazing lady.  I did get a bit confused with Oscar Wilde for a bit!
She called her prosthetic leg Cuthbert (I had an uncle with that name who served in the navy on the North Atlantic convoys in WWII)
The Germans called her the limping lady
She married Paul Goillot in 1957.  She was his boss in the OSS when they met.

My puzzle is an epic poem.  8, 4.  Think you'll find it a bit easy peasy!

For your bonus please name the poet & the famous man he worked for in the 17th century.

A small random selection before I head off to the kitchen to see what's for pinging :laugh:

How did Zoe ever pluck up the courage to do that? :o

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:53:56 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: April 05, 2020, 02:39:36 AM »
Hi Pen,

I have a feeling of déjà vu. This is my second 2.40 am today.

Full marks on my puzzle.

Your puzzle was great. It had me completely lost until I twigged the last picture.  Then it felt like heaven. Your poet had the greatest first name and he worked for “old Ironsides”

Must go and adjust my time offset in.my profile.

P.S. Congratulations to Sir Keir Starmer
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:42:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: April 05, 2020, 04:51:17 AM »

they formed in 1942, which was a significant year for me  ;).  

Was that when you arrived by stork Jack? :laugh:  Read that earlier & meant to comment & then forgot :-R

Well solved on my puzzle :)

I see from the bottom of your post that you only have to stand 1.5 metres apart.  Ours is 2 metres or 6ft in my language!  I have a friend who insists on pedantically pointing out that 6ft is less than 2 metres grrr!

I'm going to look for a few words & then relax in my chair with the other half of my pink muck & watch a film.

Hope you enjoy your extra hour in bed :-S

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: April 05, 2020, 08:22:23 AM »
A bonus question or two for you.

1. In which 1997 American horror film did Al Pacino's character have the same name as the author of Pen's epic poem.
2. Which of the other stars of this film went on to become a Monster?

I echo your congratulations to Sir Keir Starmer, the next Prime Minister of the UK.
 I don't know when that will be but I don't think it will be quite as far off as most are predicting.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing just  how the UK's right-wing gutter press are going try to blacken his character and show him to be unelectable.
This is what they do with every Labour Party leader.