Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819362 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3720 on: April 02, 2020, 06:02:36 AM »
Hi Mike,

A great addition to the puzzle.  I have a vague memory of having heard the name of the movie but I have not seen it.  The name brings two images to my mind.

The actors: one we have talked about recently, a singer, and a beautiful woman reputed to have said "Everything you see I owe to spaghetti".
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: April 02, 2020, 06:26:40 AM »
I do feel for oldies who don’t enjoy the benefits of the Internet.  SMH is cheaper on-line than being delivered even when this was possible.  Here is an excerpt from this morning’s Column 8, affectionately known to regulars as ‘Granny’ or C8.

I am coping with self-isolation and discovering there are many things I can do without,” says Garth Clarke of North Sydney. “What I do miss is my morning Herald, particularly Granny [blushes], Letters, and the cryptic crossword, all of which, thanks to the virus, no longer arrives at my door. Being 84, I'm now banned from taking a bus to the newsagent. I can do without visits to the movies, having a bet at the TAB and catching up with friends but the one thing I can’t do without, it seems, is my Sydney Morning Herald. Is it at all possible to have one sent by post? The news might be a few days old but Granny [blushes again] and my cryptic would be fresh as ever.”

Donald Matthews of Fennell Bay says that “over the past few decades, I’ve noted probably two in every three prominent Australian speakers (including two Prime Ministers) saying anythink, somethink, nothink and the like. In a word, why?” We’ll have to think about it.

Regarding a three-word slogan to save the cruise industry (C8), Joy Cooksey of Harrington recommends “Heavenly Cruises Unmasked” while Les Shearman of Darlington offers “Forget Poxy Princesses".

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:31:36 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: April 02, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
Well done, Jack!
The two pictures should be the other way round, but you obviously know the answer!
 ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
That was a deliberate smokescreen, Mike.  I think you will like the one I am working on.  It has history, science, and a film star.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:43:21 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Hi Pen

I am a dummy.  Being a bit of a technophobe  ;), it didn’t occur to me until Blue rang me this morning that I could contact him by telephone to catch up on what was happening to him and his family.  I have to admit he tells a better story after we have had a few schooners at the pub.

Blue’s five-year-old grandson and the apple of his eye, Little Johnny, was lost, so he went up to Constable “Cautious” Plod and said, "I've lost me dad!"

Cautious said, "What's he like?"

Little Johnny replied, "Beer and women!"

Totally ignoring the latest directives from the NSW Minister for Health about COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement, Richard Cranium, a typical Sydney-sider, was driving along a Bowral rural road when he saw a three-legged chicken running ahead of him. He clocked it at 30 kph.

Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So, he sped up and the chicken did too! They were now moving along the road at 45 kph! and so, Richard sped up again, and to his surprise, the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 kph!!!

Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. Richard followed the chicken to the house and saw Blue in the yard with dozens of three-legged chickens.

Richard called out to Blue, "How did you get all these three-legged chickens?"

Blue replied, "I breed 'em. Ya see it's me, the wife and my youngest son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three-legged variety so we could all have a drumstick."

"That's amazing!" said Richard "How do they taste?"

"Don't rightly know, I ain't caught one yet!"

The puzzle today is a historical novel.  3 4 5 2 3 4

It is described as a powerful novel based on the incredible true story of the glamour icon and scientist whose groundbreaking invention revolutionised modern communication.  Position is everything, both in the early life of the heroine and in the solving of the puzzle.

the     The          

The Bonus Questions:

What is the name of the Author?
What was the original name and city of birth of the heroine?
For what technology was the heroine posthumously inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:03:14 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: April 02, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
Just been reading about the subject of your puzzle on Wikipedia.

Really. I had no idea. So multi-talented!

Easy bonus point for you.

Spot the link between your puzzle and my picture.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:09:55 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: April 02, 2020, 03:27:42 PM »
Quote from: wikipedia

Hedwig is a German feminine given name, from Old High German Hadwig, Hadewig, Haduwig. It is a Germanic name consisting of the two elements hadu "battle, combat" and wig "fight, duel". The name is on record since the 9th century, with Haduwig, a daughter of Louis the German. ... A German and Dutch diminutive is Hedy.

With a name like that you could even become a film star or even impress J.K. and have her give that name to Harry's pet Snowy Owl. Hedwig was an 11th birthday gift from Rubeus Hagrid to Harry. Hagrid purchased her at the Eeylops Owl Emporium.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: April 02, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »

Me thinks I shall have to read the book

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: April 02, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed your snippet from SMH.  I'm sure I saw a paper boy on his bike on my way to work this morning.  Wonder if they're still delivering here!  But then I would expect the newsagents to be closed as non-essential. Although reading Garth Clarke I would think they are fairly important for mental health at the moment - especially if you don't have the internet.

That was quite a tricky challenge! (for me only) I was scratching my head & pulling my hair out for a while :laugh:  
I'm on the horns of a dilemma as to whether to give the answer in case anybody else wants a go but I'll answer the bonus questions!
The Author is Marie Benedict.
Her original name was Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler (great supplementary question from Mike.  I though the passion fruit was a kiwi fruit :-[) & she was born in Vienna.
In 2014 she was posthumously inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame for frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology.
An amazing lady.  An absorbing & very interesting puzzle Jack :)  I'm going to struggle to match it!

My puzzle is a BBC film from 1996. 8, 3, 4.

For your bonus can you please name the star & director of the film.  What is the link between the actress who plays the star's mother Sara in the film &  
I though the puzzle might be a little easy so I tried to be a bit devious >:D

I am highly delighted that Blue rang you earlier (yesterday?)  Chicken joke very funny :laugh:

Here's a couple of silly ones ;D
My friend read a book about Davy Crockett.
He said, 'Did you know Davy Crockett had three ears?'
I said, 'No, I didn't.'
He said, 'Well he did you know. He had a right ear, a left ear and a wild frontear.'

A police officer in a small town stopped a motorist who was speeding down Main Street.
"But officer," the man began, "I can explain."
"Just be quiet," snapped the officer. "I'm going to let you cool your heels in jail until the chief gets back."
"But, officer, I just wanted to say,..."
"And I said to keep quiet! You're going to jail!" A few hours later the officer looked in on his prisoner and said, "Lucky for you that the chief's at his daughter's wedding. He'll be in a good mood when he gets back."
"Don't count on it," answered the fellow in the cell. "I'm the groom."

The last one will probably pass you by!  Police in Derbyshire have been sending out drones in the Peak District to spy on people walking illegally :-R  Some police forces have been a bit heavy handed!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:40:02 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: April 02, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
Penny the English newsagents are allowed to stay open. I expect it is because some people don't have the internet and the Government need to disseminate the information in as many ways as possible. I have seen features on the net about paper boys still delivering but that may vary according to the boys and the shops and how concerned they are.
I am doing my permitted exercise session as a dog walk in as quiet an area as possible which is fairly easy to achieve in a small town and especially as we are surrounded by fields and woodland. How difficult it must be in cities. I count my blessings.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:21 PM »
& what a beautiful place to do your permitted exercise Christine.  You are very lucky. I'm in a town within a city & we do have a couple of green areas nearby so I can do my permitted exercise there.  Not a patch on what you have on your doorstep!  I only have a paper on Friday & Saturday.  Mostly for the Crossword & puzzles if I'm honest!  Pleased it's not necessary to go to the supermarket to get one.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:53 AM »

For your bonus can you please name the star & director of the film.  What is the link between the actress who plays the star's mother Sara in the film &  

Hi Pen,

Your puzzle might not have been so tricky if your last picture had come out and there hadn't been 2 1996 films with the same starting two words.  The word count saved the day.  The other one had five letters and although it had a character Mother  she was not named as Sara.  You might like to see if you can fix the last picture for other forumites.

I assume you got the inspiration for the puzzle from a visit to Bletchley House.  I can't get I, Claudius out of my mind when I think of the main actor and initially I thought the "star and director of the film" must have been the same person.  That was not Wise.

I would guess the link was that "Sara's" real-life son played the man in the picture in "The Darkest Hour"

I've got Ontrac at 8, so I must :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: April 03, 2020, 05:37:45 AM »
Brilliant Jack!  I really am going to have to get up earlier in the morning to get one over on you :laugh:  Not tomorrow though as I have a very busy day with shopping & household chores!  Beats being at work though.  A difficult week at work & I don't think it's going to feel easier anytime soon.
I'd better replace the last picture in my puzzle!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: April 03, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
Hi Pen

Some of your British humour on the Coronavirus has escaped to Australia.

Your country needs you !

Tom Jones Parody

Lez Mis parody

Today you get two for the price of one.  They are two novels that were followed by movies that were based on the novels.  The things that link them are that they are stories of roughly the same time period, WWII, and set in roughly the same geographical area.

I have not read either and have only seen the second movie which I enjoyed immensely.

The first book/movie appears to have a very complicated plot and I am not sure I would enjoy it, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise if anyone has read/seen it.  The second book/movie has a simple plot and is a feel-good movie for a war movie.

First one.   3 8 8(6 3) 3 6 4 3 7(5 3 3)
The puzzle is not positional – It is on two lines because on most screens it wouldn’t fit on one.

The    ary &

Bonus Questions:

Name any two actors in the film? – I only recognised Tom Courtenay.

Give the rationale for the name of the organisation.

Second one 11 4 5

Bonus Questions:

Name the two main Actors – This time they both are well known to me.

Name the breed of the Animal.

The Island name is fictitious but it is commonly believed to be the island where the film was shot.  What Island is that?

After all that I need a drink.  You probably do too.

Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: April 03, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »
Hi Jack...greetings from Redlands!
I follow the puzzles...I sometimes get frustrated...tonight I got both answers...yay!
I have read the first one and quite enjoyed it. I do have some (distant) Channel Island connections so I may have a biased perspective, but none the less,
it wasn't bad.
Cannot comment on the second...yet. Maybe by the end of our enforced quiet time.
Stay safe....and keep up the posts with Hobbit and everyone else who has 2 Bob's worth to add.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia