Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820351 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3660 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi TR,

I like all animals and cats are cute but I am predominantly a dog person.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: March 22, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
Hi Pen,

The only thing better than a lazy relaxing Saturday is a lazy relaxing week, which I hope you have planned.  I imagine in today’s circumstances you are not planning a wild social whirl on your week off.

I think I can claim the bonus points.

The author    The first book in the trilogy

The third book in the triology

You excelled yourself with the cartoons and joke.  Some thoughts for your coming week.

Fitzy is topical in today’s SMH.

Quote from: Fitzy’s Jokes of the Week

Ran out of toilet rolls, so have been reduced to replacing them with lettuce leaves. I really feel that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Up at Coles the other night, I asked the manager if he had any toilet paper. “NO!” he yelled at me, in front of the whole check-out queue. They all kept staring at me. I am telling you, that walk back down Aisle 5 to the loos, with my pants around my ankles, was the most humiliating walk of my life.

The thought that you might get lonely on your week off directed me to my next puzzle.  It is a well known 18th Century book  8(5 3) 6(3 3).  The numbers inside the brackets relate to the spelling of the word, not the sound of the clue.   The bonus points are for naming the person the book was supposedly based on and what day of the week would it have been more appropriate to present the puzzle.

I thought I would leave you with this one, which I found amusing.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:13:09 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: March 23, 2020, 03:23:15 AM »
Hi Jack

You too excelled yourself :)  A very entertaining post.  Love the mug shot :)  I see your suave sophisticated man about town has been replaced by Hagar :laugh:

I don't think I'm going to have much option other than to relax this week so no wild social whirl!  I have a couple of things I need to do.  My lawn is about 4 feet long so I need to try & cut it.  I'll probably find the body of a milkman or postman who disappeared about 6 months ago >:D  Sorry watched Morse last night about a girl who vanished :laugh:

I think you deserve an extra bonus point for how your solved the puzzle ;)  Very ingenious!  Zoe got your puzzle :)  She tells me you should have presented it on a

It was based on the life of this gent

My puzzle is a quick & easy one.  It's a book published in the 19th century - 1 word.  11 letters.  To earn your bonus can you please give the real name of the author.

I'm off to the kitchen to see
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:24:46 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: March 23, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
Hi Pen,

Yes, I did change my Avatar.  Every time I looked at the old one it annoyed me because it wasn’t the real me.  I am much more comfortable in footy shorts and a sweatshirt than in a monkey suit.  I forget why I put it up in the first place.  I probably was trying to prove I wasn’t a yobbo all the time.  Anyway, Hagar will do fine until I find a better one.  I think it was the first one I used when I joined the forum.

Good luck with the lawn. 

Zoe gets full marks again.  I believe I could get the point by knowing the nickname of the lady in question was “good”.  I am reliably informed that when told the author wasn’t a man, people would immediately say, “good Evans”.

Zoe is a bit of an Einstein when it comes to setting and solving puzzles.  Did you know that the original Einstein wrote to FDR with a suggestion that resulted in an activity whose name is the answer to my puzzle?  3 9(3 3 3) 7(3 4).  The bonus point is for naming the plane that delivered the outcome of the activity to Japan on 6 August 1945.

The  

Blue is a quick learner, always has been.

In his younger days, he took a job in a General Store.  The manager was teaching him how to sell people more than they want. Suddenly, a man walks in asking for a bag of lawn seed. The manager walks up to him and says, “Of course. But you will be wanting a lawn mower, too, right?”

The man asks, “Why would I be?

The manager replies, “Because when the lawn seed grows, you’ll need something to cut the grass with.”

Surprisingly, the man buys a lawn mower.

Then another man rushes in and asks for a box of Tampax. The manager nudges Blue. Blue walks up to the man and says, “Right away, Sir. But, of course, you will be wanting a lawn mower with that, right?

The shocked man asks, “Why?!”

Blue replies, “Well, your weekend’s screwed, so you might as well mow the lawn.”

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: March 24, 2020, 03:53:26 AM »
Hi Jack

It's been a beautiful day here & I managed to cut the grass.  My lawn is about the size of a postage stamp but it still took me ages.  I had to empty the grass box at the end of each strip & my green bin is now full up!  I'll probably have to run over it again but at least I got rid of the worst.

I'm on my own today as the brains of the operation (who is also off for the week) is at home & spending some time with her young man :)  Your puzzle was very tricky.  I got the first half easily enough but struggled with the last word as I was desperately trying to identify the golfer :laugh:  It suddenly fell into place :)
I think this will give me my bonus point, hopefully
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

I've tried to be a bit devious but I think you'll find my puzzle quite easy.  It's an event that took place in the 19th century.  3, 6, 2, 8 (5/3). First name only of the man with the guitar.
Theof
For your bonus can you please name the horse ridden by the very famous gent associated with this.  (that's probably given the game away!)

I loved your Blue story.  Properly tickled me :laugh:  I thought I'd give you a little story courtesy of his cousin Kylie :)
Kylie has an elderly granddad who has owned a large farm in Queensland for many years.  He has a dam in one of the lower paddocks where he had planted mango and avocado trees. The dam had been fixed up for swimming when it was built and he also had some picnic tables placed there in the shade of the fruit trees.
One evening the old farmer decided to go down to the dam to look it over, as he hadn't been there for a while. He grabbed a ten litre bucket to bring back some fruit. As he neared the dam, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny-dipping in his dam. He made the women aware of his presence and they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, 'We' re not coming out until you leave!'

The old man frowned, 'I didn't come down here to watch you ladies swim naked or make you get out of the dam naked.' Holding the bucket up he said, 'I'm here to feed the crocodile.'

I liked your cat but knowing your preference for dogs I thought I'd redress the balance with this lovely waggy dog :)  Unfortunately no words so I'll just say see you soon  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
Hi Pen,

Full marks.

I had trouble with yours because as soon as I had a drink of water I had to go to the toilet. :D
I also had problems with the bonus point because there are two choices as there was a famous horse on each side.

Should I be Copin’ hey again  or should I be calling for Ma ‘n’ go?

I’ve got gym this morning even though the government has closed gyms.  Because mine is run by health professionals, it is classified as a health institution.  Although each session is normally limited to 14 participants they are going to limit it to 5 to ensure the required separation. Look up Ontrac Bowral on google.

We have an electrician coming early this morning to do some work, so I must go.

P.S. still giggling at the crocodile joke.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:42:54 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: March 24, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi, again Pen,

I hope you’re washing your hands.

Blue's son is always pestering Blue with questions.

Son: Why is my sister’s name Paris?

Blue: Because we conceived her in Paris.

Son: Thanks, dad.

Blue: No problem Quarantine.

I didn’t know Arnie Schwarzenegger was visiting Australia.  Blue met him in the supermarket with an armful of toilet rolls

Blue: Where did you get those toilet rolls?

Arnie: Aisle B, back.

The challenge today is a gimme but the back story to get the bonus points is fascinating and well worth the research.  The answer is a 1903 novel, which enjoyed immense popularity in the years before World War I. It is an early example of the espionage novel and was extremely influential in the genre of spy fiction. It has been made into feature-length films for both cinema and television 3 6 2 3 5:1 6 2 6 7

The of the : A of

The bonus questions:

1.   The name of the Author
2.   How did he die
3.   His Last act before he died
4.   What high office did his son achieve?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: March 25, 2020, 04:08:31 AM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed both of your posts :)  Loved the cartoons & Blue as always.  Sign off was lovely :)  You should definitely be Copin'hey again :laugh:

Zoe is here today & solved your puzzle :)  I think I'll have to have an easy puzzle on the days I'm on my own & a tricky one for when I have company >:D :laugh:  One of our local supermarkets is opening between 7 & 8am for NHS staff so we took advantage & did a little shopping at the crack of dawn.  It's a brilliant initiative but, unfortunately, wont be much help to us next week as we're back at work & have to be in by 8am.  The situation is so very weird & surreal.  Just can't get my head round it.

Anyway I've done a bit of research & think I can claim some bonus points!  I can't think of any cryptic ways to answer so I've just gone for it :)
The author was Erskine Childers.  He was executed by firing squad in 1922.  He shook hands with the members of the firing squad.  His son, Erskine Hamilton Childers became president of Ireland.

My puzzle is a poem.  It's one word 11 letters.  I think it's a bit easy so I didn't break the word down.

For your bonus can you name the author & the school & university he attended.

sorry if my post is a little disjointed.  I kept stopping & starting :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: March 25, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »
Hi, Pen,

Full marks on Zoe’s solution and your research.

That was anything but a simple puzzle that you set and seeing you were so mean about not giving me a character count, I am going to subject you to the trivia I learned while I was trying to solve it.  But it was a great challenge.

Your first picture was of Thomas Hearns (born October 18, 1958), an American former professional boxer who competed from 1977 to 2006. Nicknamed the "Motor City Cobra", and more famously "The Hitman", Hearns' tall, slender build and oversized arms and shoulders allowed him to move up over fifty pounds in his career and become the first boxer in history to win world titles in five weight divisions: welterweight, light middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight.

Your second picture taught me how Velcro was invented.

Velcro was patented in the United States on May 13, 1958 and invented seven years earlier. The miracle adhesive was the brainchild of Swiss electrical engineer George de Mestral (June 19, 1907–February 8, 1990). One afternoon, as he was taking a walk in the forest, he noticed the that burrs — the seeds of burdock thistle — stuck to his clothes and wondered how they did that. So he excitedly rushed home, stuck one under the microscope, and spent the next ten years perfecting nature’s brilliant hook-and-loop adhesion mechanism, eventually producing one of history’s smartest applications of biomimetic design.

The spoon with a cut off handle in your third picture is a Chinese carbon steel wok.  I couldn't work out whether it had a 10”,12” or 14” flat bottom.

Andrew said your puzzle started with ” ’Twas brillig”  and effectively ended with “O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”  He gave me the other answers and with a bit of research I offer you these.

In 1846, at the age of fourteen, the author was sent to that school that Pat would know well where in 1823, local lad William Webb Ellis, with a fine disregard for the rules of football, took the ball in his arms and ran with it.  In May 1850 he matriculated at Christ Church, in that little known university  :D about 40 miles south-west of your place via the A421 and A34.

We are beset with shortages of necessary items as a result of this coronavirus lockdown.  Blue tried to get butter from the three Bowral supermarkets without success, so he tried the Indian supply shop.  "Have you got any butter?", said Blue.

"No, but we have Ghee", said the shop assistant.

"Well, that clarifies things", Said Blue.

Andrew gave me a puzzle to pose but it requires more research than I am capable of tonight.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: March 26, 2020, 02:44:04 AM »
P.S. I just came across this in Column 8 in this morning’s SMH.

Peter Heinrich of Wembley Downs (WA) spotted a sign in a pharmacy which had very sound advice. "Underneath its instructions on social distancing, it had another small sign that read: 'If you are panic buying, be sure to stock up on condoms, so we don’t produce any more idiots.'"

Only in Australia.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 26, 2020, 03:43:41 AM »
Hi Jack

Glad you enjoyed the challenge but sorry it wasn't quite as simple as I thought! I thoroughly enjoyed your research & you are of course spot on with your bonus answers :)

Please tell Blue that I have half a pound of butter in the fridge that Zoe got me to go on my jacket spuds.  Would he like me to parcel it up & send it to him? :laugh:

Zoe has suggested a puzzle for you today.  We're returning to ancient Greece.  It's 2 words 7(3,1,3)/3  First name of the gent.

A nice easy bonus.  Can you tell me the Greek title & the author please.

Just spotted your snippet from the SMH.  Hilarious - made Zoe & I roar with laughter!

I'll leave you with a silly joke ;D
An 85-year old man went to his doctor's office to get a sperm count.
The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and
bring me back a sample of your sperm tomorrow."
The next day, the 85-year old man reappeared at the doctor's office
and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the
previous day.

The doctor asked what happened, and the man explained, "Well, doc,
it's like this. First I tried with my right hand, but nothing.
Then I tried with my left hand, but nothing.
"Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand,
but nothing. Then her left, but nothing. She even tried with her
mouth, first with the teeth in, then with the teeth out, and still
nothing.
"Hell, we even called up the lady next door, and she tried with
both hands and her mouth too, but nothing."

The doctor was shocked. "You asked your NEIGHBOUR?"

The old man replied, "Yep, but no matter what we tried, we just
couldn't get the damn jar open!"

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: March 26, 2020, 04:22:47 AM »
Hi Pen,

The original title in Ancient Greek was Οἰδίπους but it was later renamed  Οἰδίπους Τύραννος, the Tyrannus (king) being added to distinguish it from another of the author’s plays.  While we are on the subject of the hero what was the answer to the riddle of the Sphinx?

Great joke. :D

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:40:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Hi Jack

The answer to the riddle is man :)

I don't know what it's like there but we've had a massive problem with people panic buying & hoarding stuff.  Bin men are now reporting massive food waste which was to be expected as a lot of the food is perishable with not much shelf life.  I've just watched a neighbour across the close throw what looked like 3 full packets of bread rolls into the green wheelie bin >:(  What a bloody waste.

Glad the joke tickled you
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
Hi Jack
The answer to the riddle is man :)
I don't know what it's like there but we've had a massive problem with people panic buying & hoarding stuff.  

Hi Pen,

Full marks again.

Actually, the situation you describe also applies to Germany according to one of my e-mail correspondents.  He said that there has been a huge run on sausages and cheese in supermarkets throughout Germany - a wurst käse scenario.

These urinals suit me  ;).

The easy bit of the challenge tonight is the identifying first line of a non-sense poem.  3 3 3 3 5-3 4 2 3

The & the 2 C

You only need the verb in the last picture.

The bonus point is for naming and describing the piece of cutlery the Bride and Groom used when they dined on mince, and slices of quince.  

It’s time to put the chooks to bed.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:10:28 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:16 AM »
Hi Jack

An entertaining & very funny post :laugh:  We both enjoyed it.  Forgot to say you got top marks for Zoe's Oedipus Rex challenge!
Zoe advises me that the cutlery used by the bride & groom in the poem was this...

She has suggested today's puzzle.  It's a 19th century novel.  4 words.  5, 3, 9, 4.
the
For your bonus can you name the author please & the name of the couple who become romantically entangled.

I can't match your brilliant dog rounding up the chooks - love that :)

So I'll sidle out gracefully :laugh:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:09:19 AM by Hobbit »