Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821944 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3435 on: February 08, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
Hi Pen,

I loved your cartoons on wet weather.  So I’ll start off with the weather here and at home.  The headlines have moved from bush fires to high rainfall and flash floods.  Sydney is in for a drenching this weekend. I love this country.

Official rainfall statistics in Brisbane, Redlands and Moss Vale in mm.(1 inch=25.4 mm).

(Brisbane is the measuring station for the suburb we are in, Redlands for Wellington Point, and Moss Vale for home)

Period.                  BRIS. REDLANDS  M.V

THURSDAY                  78      59       1
FRIDAY TO 9 AM.           96      64       5
FRIDAY REST                1       2      18
SATURDAY PREDICTED     20-40   20-40   40-80
SUNDAY PREDICTED       10-20   10-20     >80
MONDAY PREDICTED       10-20   10-20     1-5
YEAR TO DATE             354     297      58

The minimum temperature since we have been up here has been 20oC.

Yesterday by the time we were up and about the weather was great.  The house at Wellington Point was well presented and accurately described but it was not us. It is hard to describe in words why.  It was (is) our intention to downsize but not in the day-to-day living areas.  Somehow the place felt a lot smaller than it did on the plan.  The vibe was one of formality when what we were looking for was relaxed casual, particularly in the outside area.  This was the place  

However, the trip was worthwhile.  We have now got a clear view of what we want.    We have definitely decided to sell our place and when it is sold to look for a place in Brisbane.  There is no reason for us to rush.  We have established that there is a constant stream of desirable places coming on to the market.  We still have a preference for the Cleveland area but will look at a number of properties when the time comes.

We are flying back to Canberra tomorrow and then home on Monday.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 08, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
Really good decision, Jack. Take your time and when the right house comes along, there won't be a decision to make....you'll just want to move in. By the way...lucky escape deciding against Riverton Drive....2 minutes walk to my place  :-P
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 09, 2020, 04:24:15 AM »
Oh that's brilliant Moyra - you'd have been near neighbours :)  You still might yet awhile :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 09, 2020, 04:45:02 AM »
Hi Jack

Blimey you've gone from one extreme to the other with the weather  :o  Your facts & figures are very interesting. Our forecast for tomorrow is rather grim.  We're getting storm Ciara & have weather warnings in place.  My neighbour drives high speed trains between London & Manchester, Liverpool & other points North.  He said they will have a speed limit in place tomorrow of 50mph.  As he rightly says if there's a tree across the line they need to be able to stop which they can't at 120mph.  It will take him about 4 & a half hours to get from London to Manchester.  A journey which would normally take about 2 hours.  Poor sod's going to have a long day :(  If the lines come down or the track becomes impassable he may not be able to get home at all :(  Anyway let's hope it's not going to be as bad as they forecast.

The house at Riverton Drive was nice.  I loved the garden.  Moyra is quite right of course!  When the right house comes along you'll know & just be able to move straight in :)

I suspect tomorrow will be a bit of a long boring day at work.  (beware of what you wish for >:D)  I'll send you a proper post then :)

Zoe's just about to get our grub out :-H  I'd better log off & bugger off :laugh:

before I get a flea in my ear :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:49:15 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 09, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
JACK

Hopefully, by the time you see this, you'll be safely back home.  Horrible howling gale here :(  I've got a fence panel down in my garden & when I drove out of my close this morning there was a tree down halfway across the road.

You will notice a recurring theme in today's post :laugh:

Here's a silly puzzle for you.  It's a group - word pattern 5, 4, 3, 4.  & one of their big hits.  6, 10.  You only need the last word of the book!
&

Work's getting busy so

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: February 09, 2020, 10:08:47 PM »
Hi Moyra,

I knew that was a very desirable neighbourhood.  It would have been great having you as a neighbour and who knows, I suspect if we don't end up in Wellington point or Ormiston, we won't be more than a suburb or two away.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 09, 2020, 11:09:22 PM »
Hi Pen,

We are not home yet.  We had a good flight down and arrived at A's place at about 3:00 pm.  We are going home tomorrow morning but not in such a rush as we had expected.  The golf game we had planned for tomorrow has been postponed because of rain.  Moss Vale has had 75mm since 9:00 this morning with more predicted for  tomorrow, and I assume we will have had something similar.  So, we will sleep in and toddle slowly up the highway.

It's not really cold here but it feels it after being in Brisbane.  The wind might match yours but it is about 17oC.

Great Puzzle, Pen.  Would I be right in saying their initials are E,W,&F and their hit was boogie Wonderland?

I am a bit knacked but I might be able to find something random to share around the fracture clinic.  If your clients spent their day in prayer and contemplation, they would not be making your day so busy.  :D

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 10, 2020, 12:13:53 AM »
Spot on with the puzzle Jack :)  The quality of your cartoons hasn't suffered with your knackedness :laugh:

It's 10c here but the Met Office informs me that it actually feels like 5c :(  I've looked for the little circle for degrees but can't find it anywhere on this computer ???  Does all this rain mean that the bush fires are gone for the moment or at least under control?  I do hope so.

Two & a bit hours & I can go home....can't wait!

Could be worse - it could be snowing >:D  Enjoy your gentle toddle home :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 10, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Heavens to Murgatroyd Jack - just found this on the BBC :o

Very Rainy & Windy!

Hopefully you're home & all unpacked by now :)

Catch you later

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 10, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Hi Pen,

Now you know why

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.

We set out about 11 am and got home before 1 pm.

Only the odd spit of rain.  The bone dry paddocks we drove past on the way down were often flooded in the low areas on the way back.  I don't know how much rain we had while I was away.  My rain gauge only goes up to 100 mm and it had overflowed.  I keep stats but i will have to take the official figures for Moss Vale which should be a reasonable approximation.

A number of houses in the district were damaged and there were blackouts but luckily we were unscathed.

Andrew bought a new laptop and gave me his old one which was ten times better than my old one - lighter, faster, and more memory and I have spent most of the afternoon loading my favorite programs on it.

I will try for a traditional post tomorrow.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 11, 2020, 01:38:20 AM »
Sums it up perfectly Jack :)

Glad you're home & pleased you didn't have any damage.  Looking back to your post the other day that means you had well over 4 inches of rain! :o

I'm very jealous of your new lap top!

The last one just tickled me :laugh:

Fracture clinic getting busy so time to assume my alter ego...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 11, 2020, 06:26:30 PM »
Looking back to your post the other day that means you had well over 4 inches of rain! :o

I'm very jealous of your new lap top!

Hi Pen,

According to the weatherman, Moss Vale had nearly 8 inches and so it would be most likely we had about the same.

The new laptop is a Microsoft Surface pro and it is a beauty.  I don't even have to turn the light on at night to use it because it has a backlit keyboard.

Gym was hard this morning after a couple of weeks break.

and some that you might empathise with

I think I'll go and grab another beer to see if I can come up with a puzzle >:D

P.S.  I think you said that you couldn't find a degrees symbol when writing a temperature.  There would be one - but the way I get around not knowing it is to use the sup button in the second row of symbols on a lower case o.  Try it, it works a treat.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 11, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
According to the weatherman, Moss Vale had nearly 8 inches and so it would be most likely we had about the same.

I think I'll go and grab another beer to see if I can come up with a puzzle >:D

Hi Jack

I'm having a slight change of desk today.  I'm on loan to the obstetrics desk as they're short of bodies.  Haven't worked here for some months so finding it a bit strange!

8 inches is a lot of rain.  Poor Yorkshire is suffering terrible flooding in spite of millions being spent on flood defences.

Your cartoons tickled me :laugh:  I don't think mine came out for some reason.

I'll be back a bit later when I'm in my usual spot :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:34 AM »
Poor Yorkshire is suffering terrible flooding

Not to mention Cumbria, my town in particular!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 12, 2020, 01:43:46 AM »
Sorry Linda didn't mean to overlook you in beautiful Cumbria.  Hope you're safe & sound & not waterlogged. Pen