Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814338 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3045 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:17 AM »
Thanks Jack I just wrapped my laughing gear round some rather good roast potatoes with my dinner :laugh:
I thought I knew it as wrap your laughing tackle round that but I could have a memory warp!

Still it's probably just
aa
5, 2, 1, 6 (remove first letter of 2nd pic)
Easy peasy lemon squeezy :laugh:

Happy Golfing :laugh:
 Spare a thought for the workers
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »
Hi Pen

I guess I was wrong about the “laughing gear” being very Australian. Seems like you have a similar saying.  I didn’t mean to start a storm in a teacup.

Yesterday, I played the worst golf that I have for years. No excuses.  The company was good, the weather was good, but the out-of-bounds and the trees seemed to have an unnatural attraction for my ball.   I hope your Monday was better.

When I got home my spirits were restored by a lovely roast dinner and a glass or two or more of wine and  I crashed early.

We have an early start this morning, so. I must get back to sawing wood.

:-Z :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:41:29 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 12, 2019, 03:06:39 AM »
Hi Jack

My Monday on fracture clinic is sadly not very peaceful!  It's a paediatric clinic & the very young patients seem far from happy :laugh:  (ear plugs anyone?!)

I'm very envious of your roast dinner - especially if it was lamb :-H.  I especially love it from your neighbours just across the way :laugh:  I can't remember when I last had a proper roast.  Christmas probably! 

I've sent up a small prayer to St Andrew for you to have a better day tomorrow (today!)  Don't blame me if it doesn't work >:D  Whenever I pray to the God of clear skies for Zoe she says it never works & it's usually cloudy :laugh:
There is no doubt that golf is the most frustrating game there is!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 12, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
Hi Pen.

Your prayer to St. Andrew worked.  I played much better today - not well enough to win  but good enough to place me in the top half of the field.  Could you say another prayer for Thursday?

Actually, I feel a little guilty worrying about my golf game when so much of Eastern Australia is beset by bush fires.  Here are two items that I found interesting.

a wrong assumption

About 25% of NSW volunteer fire fighters are women. Among the young cohort, that percentage is rising rapidly. It’s also worth noting that women provide enormous support at home to male volunteers, picking up the slack with children and jobs. They are all heroes.

I don't know why, but this image touched me

The roast dinner was eye filet, Pen.

We are off to Sydney tomorrow to spend a bit of time with the Brisbane mob.  My Son-in Law's father is in a Sydney hospital and they dodged the bush fires along the Pacific Highway to come down and be with him for a few days.

I'll see if I can find something cheerful to end with.

Blue was telling me some stories about when his son, Ocker, was a young lad.

Once he got suspended from school.  Blue said the conversation with his teacher went like this:
teacher: "What does the chicken give you?"
Ocker: "Meat!"
Teacher: "Very good! Now what does the pig give you?"
Ocker: "Bacon!"
Teacher: "Great! And what does the fat cow give you?"
Ocker: "Homework!"

and then there was the time Ocker asked Blue, "How were people born?" Blue said, "Adam and Eve made babies, then their babies became adults and made babies, and so on." Ocker then went to his mother, asked her the same question and she told him, "We were monkeys then we evolved to become like we are now." Ocker ran back to Blue and said, "You lied to me!" Blue replied, "No, your mom was talking about her side of the family."

Nighty Night  :-Z :-Z :-Z

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:49:58 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 13, 2019, 12:59:41 AM »
Hi Jack

Very pleased to hear you played better today :)  (yesterday?!)  Will offer up another prayer for Thursday.

I know exactly what you mean about that picture.  It touched me in exactly the same way.  The bush fires are horrific. It's not just the people but all the wildlife that are affected too.  I think all firefighters, regardless of their gender, do a fantastic job.  They deserve huge admiration and respect.  So very brave and selfless. 

A mother thinks there’s something strange going on and eventually decides to take a DNA test.
She finds out that their child is actually not related to her or her husband at all.
Wife: "Darling, there’s something really important that we need to talk about. I did a DNA test and Roger isn't our biological child."
Husband: "Of course he isn’t, don’t you remember? We were just leaving the hospital and the baby pooped hugely so you told me, ‘Go and change the baby, I’ll wait here.’”

As the airliner was preparing to land in Madrid in a rainstorm, an English passenger seemed noticeably afraid. "What's the problem, fellow?" asked his seat mate.
"Surely," said the Englishman, "you've heard the saying, 'The planes in Spain fall mainly in the rain!!'"

My post's a bit of a random hotch potch :laugh:  We've just had to evacuate the building because the fire alarm went off.  Perishing out :(

Hope you have a good drive to Sydney to see the Brisbane contingent  :)  Here's hoping your son-in-law's father is on the mend.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 13, 2019, 10:18:06 PM »
Hi Pen,

I am counting on those prayers tomorrow.

The traffic was heavy both ways on our trip but apart from being a bit slow (nearly 4 hours driving in total) there were no hassles.  The family are staying in an apartment right on Coogee beach.  We had a teetotal lunch at the Coogee Bay Hotel which was great and would have been even greater with a good bottle of red but I thought it wiser to wait until I got home to indulge.  The patient who is 87 is responding as well as can be expected to treatment.

The weather was a bit cool and as you can see from the picture the beach was not well patronised but the weather was somewhat better than yours at the moment.  Unfortunately the cold snap which followed the heat wave yesterday has done little to alleviate the bush fire situation.
Coogee Beach at 11 am.

Great cartoons.  I'll see what I can find.

After retiring, Blue went to the Social Security office to apply for his pension.

The woman behind the counter asked him for his driver's license to verify his age. He looked in his pockets and realized he had left his wallet in the pub. He told the woman that he was very sorry, but he would have to go come back later.

The woman said, 'Unbutton your shirt'. So he opened his shirt revealing the curly silver hair on his chest.

She said, 'That silver hair on your chest is proof enough for me' and she processed his pension application.

When Blue got home, he excitedly told Sheila about his experience at the Social Security office.

Sheila said, 'You should have dropped your pants instead. You might have gotten a disability pension too.'

I have just enough energy left to give you a challenge. 7,2,3.5.4

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:22:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 14, 2019, 01:35:19 AM »
Hi Jack

Pleased you had a hassle free, if somewhat slow, drive to Sydney.  I loved the picture of Coogee beach.  Wish I was there - it's gorgeous & hardly anybody there!

What you could really do with is a good downpour but I don't suppose there's much hope of that at the moment.  We've got flood warnings again tomorrow.  It's a great pity we can't direct some of it your way.  Though preferably not on your golf course!

Loved your cartoons & the Bluey joke made me laugh out loud :laugh:  I wondered if I was 'barking up the wrong tree'?

I've had a busy & somewhat trying morning...

Hoping for a quieter afternoon!

Found this by accident!  Wonder if it's true? :laugh:
Why do full-length golf courses have 18 holes, and not 20, 10 or an even dozen?
During a discussion among the membership board at St. Andrews Golf Club in 1858, one of the members pointed out that it takes exactly 18 holes to polish off a fifth of Scotch.
By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out....

Before you tee off tomorrow please do make sure you have all
a
4, 5, 2 (remove 1st letter), 1, 3

Enjoy your game & play your socks off :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:24 AM »
ps  I thought you might like this
Hekan
Chances are you've already seen it.  It just made me smile :)  fantastic.

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 15, 2019, 03:48:03 AM »
Hi Pen,

Just a quickie between  :-Z

I hadn’t seen the Hekan clip and I absolutely loved it.

You were spot on with “barking up the wrong tree “.

I got all my ducks in a row before I hit off but after I hit off they scattered.

A is going home this morning and so we had big dinner last night.  The bangers in the bangers and mash were a mixture of English pork and boerevors.  Dessert was fruit cake and the Pedro Ximenez we got at the Joadja Distillery. We may have washed dinner down with a little too much liquid so we retired early.

I was amused but sceptical about the whisky explanation for 18 holes.

This article thinks the whisky explanation is an urban myth

One more game of golf to go and then hopefully a weekend of relaxation.

Enjoy your Friday.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 15, 2019, 06:48:04 AM »
Hi Jack

Had a long week & am a bit knacked this evening :-Y  So pleased it's Friday tomorrow :)

I'm so pleased you hadn't seen the Hekan clip.  It's really wonderful.  Brightened up a manky rainy day :)
Your bankers & mash & sounded yummy :-H  I had to look up boerevors.  Can't believe it's time for A to go home already.  Only seems a minute since he arrived.  Time flies.

I'm sure the article about the 18 holes is correct but a little bit of me preferred the whisky explanation >:D

5, 3, 3, 8  Don't think you need that!  Far too easy but brain is tired!

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 15, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Hi Pen,

Was that Catch you later crocodile. >:D

I have put the matchsticks under my eyes to complete this post.  I am not as good as I used to be and I have found this week quite tiring (but enjoyable).  I won't tell you about the golf because I don't want to destroy your belief in the power of prayer.  The Brisbane mob have dodged the bushfires and are safely home.   A is back home but no rest for the wicked, he has to give an address to a conference tomorrow. It was good to have a family catch-up on Wednesday even for a few hours.  So all told a very satisfying week.

Boerevors are my favourite sausage.  Simon, our butcher, tells us there is an extensive South African community in the Southern Highlands and whenever they have a celebration or party they ask him to make a big batch.  Whenever this happens he puts some aside for me because he knows how much I like them.

You might not believe this but Blue had a Kiwi mate.  They were walking down a street in Sydney.  The Kiwi happens to look in one of the shop windows and sees a sign that catches his eye.

The sign said: "Suits $5.00 each, Shirts $2.00 each, Trousers $2.50 per pair".

The Kiwi says to Blue, " look! I could buy a whole lot of those, and when I get back to New Zealand I could make a fortune!    When we go into the shop, I'll do all the talking, but because if they hear my accent, they might not be nice to us, I'll speak in my best Aussie accent."

They enter the shop and the Kiwi says, "I'll take 50 suits at $5.00 each, 100 shirts at $2.00 each and 50 pairs of trousers at $2.50 each. I'll back up my ute and..."

The owner of the shop interrupts. "You're from New Zealand, aren't you?"

"Well... Yes," says the surprised Kiwi. "How the hell did you pick that?"

The shop owner replied, "This is a bloody dry cleaners, mate!

A short idiom to finish 4,3,8,3

the

:-Z :-Z :-Z

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 16, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
Hi Jack

So pleased you've had a good & enjoyable week :)  You can have a nice restful weekend to regroup (or recoup might be a better word?)
I was looking forward to a bit of a lazy weekend with a catch up with my friend but had a phone call this morning to say our weekend lady is poorly so I am now working tomorrow.  Least the weather forecast is continuing to be crummy so I don't feel so bad.

I have a few minutes before Zoe comes in from work for her dinner :)

I'm struggling with your challenge ???  Fire the....  Problem is I can't place the men!  I assume it's a group?  I'll seek advice from No1 daughter & see if she can help!  Mine was of course see you later crocodile :laugh:

I loved your cartoons - especially the dogs :laugh:  Here's a small selection to make you chuckle :)

4, 5, 6, 2, 7

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 16, 2019, 06:38:18 AM »

You have us all beat Jack  :o  Not just me but Zoe, Zoe's friend Mike & her astronomy buddy Dave :laugh:  We all want to know who all the men are please!
Pen

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 16, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
The version I know should have eight letters in the last word, but it depends on what vegetables are growing in the fifth picture.

It is in World Wide Words and there may be alternatives.

;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 16, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »
Hi Mike,

The vegetables are definitely parsnips, so your version would agree with Pen's pictures.  I always like the WWW explanations so, for those that have solved the puzzle or have given up,  here is the WWW explanation
Regards, Jack