Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819287 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3000 on: October 30, 2019, 01:01:18 AM »
Hi Jack

Not much of a day.  Almost all the patients this morning have

I wouldn't dream of trying to teach my granny to suck eggs :laugh:  Loved the Bluey joke - very funny!

Here's a couple of grumpy old ladies >:D

I'm intrigued to know what your new toy is.  Hope you'll share next time :)

Roll on going home time :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: October 30, 2019, 03:32:33 AM »
Hi Pen,

The last image of your puzzle didn't come out but by a bit of detective work I found it was a picture of a Parisienne-Sleigh-Bed.  So I am guessing that it was "got out of the wrong side of the bed".  I had a feeling of Deja Vu although your images were cleverer than mine.

You were right that my sign off was "Teaching one's grandmother to suck eggs".

However, you were mean not to give me a clue or a word count on your previous puzzle and while I am trying to work that out I couldn't possibly give any thought to describing my new toy. >:D

Here's another one to keep you going. 3,3,3,3,2,3,4.

the to the

:-Z :-Z :-Z :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think he ever made it above the rank of Constable.

Incidentally, in 1955, the year that the TV series started, Jack Warner also appeared as a policeman in the classic comedy 'The Ladykillers'.
Watch him now in that great film and it's just like watching George Dixon - listening patiently to old Mrs Wilberforce as she tells him about the flying saucer that her neighbour imagined had landed in her garden.
In 'The Ladykillers', however, he had the rank of Superintendent.
Hi Mike. I had a bit of a thought in bed last night when I couldn't sleep & my mind was wandering randomly!  There was another programme called Softly Softly.  Did that follow on from Dixon of Dock Green?  or am I mixing up my policemen?  Pen

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 30, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
BBC's other big police series in the 1960s was called 'Z-Cars'. It was shown in midweek and aimed to be a bit 'tougher' and more realistic than 'Dixon'.

When 'Z-Cars' ended its run, around 1965, there was a spin-off programme called 'Softly, Softly' which starred Stratford Johns and Frank Windsor, both of whom had been in 'Z-Cars'.
When 'Softly, Softly' finished, there was yet another series starring Stratford Johns, simply called 'Barlow' the name of his character in all three programmes.

Meanwhile, ITV's big cop show, 'The Sweeney', probably tougher and -for its time - more violent than any of the BBC's programmes was getting record viewing figures at the 'post-watershed' time of 9.00.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 30, 2019, 09:15:12 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I remember now you've told me :laugh:  I totally forgot Z-Cars.
It always tickles me when I watch (and re-watch!!) Morse that this is the same man who was Jack Regan in the Sweeney.  You couldn't get two more opposing characters if you tried.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: October 30, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
Howdy Jack

Another day in paradise ;D  It's very cold, the patients are still quite grumpy & the computer is moving at the speed of an arthritic snail :-P  This is my fourth attempt at a post & it just keeps freezing up.  If I fail this time then
'
1'1, 8, 2, 3, 5

I did give you a word count on the most recent challenge which you solved as 'got out of the wrong side of the bed'  Even though the bed was missing :laugh:
I think you solved the one before as got my 'just deserts' or 'serves me right'
It took me a while to solve your latest challenge as I was a bit flummoxed by the screwdriver :laugh:  Then I realised it's 'cry awl the way to the bank'

You're very naughty! I think you're teasing me on purpose >:D  I'm very curious as to what your new toy is!

I'll leave you with a couple of silly jokes ;D
A husband and his wife were sound asleep when suddenly the phone rang.  The husband picked up the phone and said, 'Hello? How the heck do I know? What do you think I am, a weatherman?'He then slammed the phone down and settled into bed.'
Who was that?' asked his wife. 'I don't know. It was some guy who wanted to know if the coast was clear.'

Although he was a qualified meteorologist, Howard Sherlock ran up a terrible record of forecasting for the TV news programmes. He became something of a local joke when the Western Echo newspaper began keeping a record of his predictions and showed that he'd been wrong almost three hundred times in a single year.
Obviously that kind of notoriety was enough to get him fired.
Howard Sherlock moved to another part of the country and applied for a similar job. One blank on the job application called for the reason for leaving his previous position.
Sherlock wrote, 'The climate didn't agree with me.'

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 31, 2019, 12:33:54 AM »
How do, Pen,

Sorry to hear that things are a bit coolish in Paradise; It was quite a nice 30oC here todie  (oops that’s now yesterdie).  :D

I didn’t think you’d be the type of person to be throwing in the towel.  >:D  

I thought I still had a word missing in the “just deserts” puzzle which is why I asked for a word count.  On looking back on it, I can see that “desert+dessert=deserts”.  My mistake and I am sorry for teasing you.  I think you might be a bit disappointed when I tell you what the new toy is.

Our new toy is a Foxtel IQ4.  We upgraded from IQ3 because it had a few bugs and I suspected there was a hardware fault in the equipment but I couldn’t prove it.  I opted for self-installation rather than pay to have it installed, so installation took a bit longer than it should have.

Quote from: Sales Blurb for the IQ4

The iQ4 is a set-top box that merges cable or satellite TV with online streaming. It's designed to be a complete TV experience, upgraded for a new age of ultra-high definition content and on-demand video. Users will be able to watch channels live (including Foxtel's newly announced 4K satellite channel), record their favourite shows, and have highlights and suggestions displayed by the smarter, more powerful system inside the box.

I don't know about silly jokes.  Would they be funny if they weren't silly?

Bluey was warned by his doctor that his heart was too weak to continue playing golf, but he refused to give up his favourite sport. Sure enough, next time he played, he suffered a heart attack and ended up in the hospital. When his doctor saw him again, he admonished Bluey, saying “You should have put the heart before the course!”

Bluey's mate, Benny Shapiro, worked at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (MCA).  The Museum of Contemporary Art Australia is culture conscious organisation which on their website "acknowledges the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, the traditional owners of the land and waters upon which the MCA stands.

Benny used to tell his friends that he was the curator, although his primary job was to keep the exhibits clean and polished. One day he happened to be dusting around the Arabian exhibit, and he noticed an ancient urn that needed some cleaning. He got out his dust rag and began polishing. Lo and behold, an enormous Genie appeared before him.

“Master,” the Genie began, “I am the Genie of the urn. I can grant you three wishes, but there is one condition I will put on you: You must never shave or cut your beard for the rest of your life, or you will be forced to take my place inside the urn forever.”

Benny thought about it for a bit, and decided it was a fair condition for three wishes. So Benny wished to own a Maserati which was promptly granted. Then he wished for the most beautiful woman in the world as his wife, and lo and behold, there she was. Finally, he wished for fame and fortune and he instantly became a worldwide celebrity.

Over the years, Benny’s beard became longer and longer until it almost reached the floor. As it grew longer, it began to itch. He tried to ignore it, but the itch became more and more irritating, while the memory of the Genie’s warning faded.

Finally, he decided he had to get rid of the beard and he shaved it off. Instantly he was trapped in the urn, to stay there forever.

The moral of the story: A Benny shaved is a Benny urned.

And I’ll leave you with this one.  2,5,2,4,5

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:37:00 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 31, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »
I don't know if it's right but I came up with 'no names, no pack drill'  Don't think that fits the pattern though ???
I think your telly gadget sounds very exciting.  No doubt it's all singing & dancing :)
Loved the jokes & cartoons :laugh:  Made me really chuckle!

Home now :-C  No1 daughter coming for dinner.  Happy Days :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: October 31, 2019, 06:15:50 AM »
I came up with 'no names, no pack drill'  Don't think that fits the pattern though ???

Exactly right.  I’ve been thinking about your comment on pattern.  I didn’t allow for the comma.  Which would have made more sense to you?  2,5,,,2,4,5 or 2,5,”,” 2,4.5

I think the inclusion of a pattern improves the challenge because one image can result in 2 or more words and sometimes 2 images are need for one word. As well when images are cryptic rather than literal many correct interpretations are possible.  What do you think?

Must rush.  We are playing with the vets at Highlands this morning.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 31, 2019, 06:32:31 AM »
Happy Swinging :)

I think you're right about the inclusion of a pattern.  Certainly helps me along!
See you tomorrow (later!)
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 31, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »
Hi Pen,

Today’s golf was a two-person team competition and June and I won.  So I celebrated a little this afternoon and as a consequence I haven’t got the energy to go searching for jokes and cartoons but two items dropped into my lap – one from my twitter feed and one from Facebook.

Comparison of the style of Obama and Trump – you may have to wait until you get home to watch it if you are still barred from YouTube at work

But it would be remiss of me if I didn’t leave you with a challenge -5,2,4,3,5

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 01, 2019, 01:51:50 AM »
Hi Jack

Pleased that you & June won the golf :) & glad you enjoyed a celebration :)

My best guess for your challenge is 'cheap at half the price?'
I did think to start with it might be as
as >:D
The only excuse I have is that it was before lunch & I was hungry!

I found this by accident & it tickled me ;D
Schoolboy Howlers - A Rich Source of JokesGood clean jokes
Solomon had three hundred wives and seven hundred porcupines. Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread which is bread made without any ingredients. Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandments. He died before he ever reached Canada. Q: Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe to drink. A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists.

Fracture clinic is getting busy.  Friday tomorrow :-)

I was wondering, do you think England will
  3, 3, 7
on Saturday?  I have to work as the weekend lady has a days holiday.  Not a terribly happy bunny but am going to watch it as best I can on the computer!

For Now :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: November 01, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »
ps just enjoyed the Obama & Trump mash up :laugh:
forgot to say that the cartoon really tickled me :laugh:
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: November 01, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’m distracted by picking the ponies again this week, so this post might be a bit disjointed. :-[

“cheap at half the price” was again spot on.  I hope these are not getting so easy that they are getting boring for you.  I was surprised that one source said the chips in “cheap as chips” referred to wooden gambling chips, so that wouldn’t have satisfied your hunger. :D

I reckon your Rugby boy will cut the mustard tomorrow night.  I watched a bit of the South Africa vs. Wales game and Eddie Jones was scribbling notes furiously.  I think he will have worked out a winning strategy. It’s a pity he won’t go back to where he came from. ;)

Most Australians have a love of the ocean.  I am not sure that you Brits are so keen.
 Read this article and tell me what’s not to like about the ocean

Do you believe all the pictures you see in Newspapers and those women’s magazines,
Here’s a funny article on what can be done with photoshop

I don’t get the joke in these cartoons.  Do they mean anything to you?

Today’s challenge is a fairy tail  10,3,3,5,5.  I hope I have made it a bit harder.  It is also open to your friends to make suggestions.

Hint: I could have used this for the second image

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:06:18 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: November 02, 2019, 04:49:23 AM »
Hi Jack

I've had a busy day trying to cram everything in as I'm working tomorrow :(  So it's a flying visit

I can't believe it's your turn to pick the gee gees again already!  Seems to have come round very quickly.  Hope you're lucky :)
I got the first Keith Richards cartoon.  They're saying he's very ancient I think!  No idea what the second one is all about ???
I liked the photoshop article but found a lot of the sea creatures a bit scary!  I hated seaweed when I used to swim in the sea when I was a kid :laugh:
When I worked at the Halifax I had a customer who was an accountant.  Lovely ordinary chap.  His hobby was cave diving & he was involved in several international rescue missions. Just goes to show
ait's
3, 4, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3, 5
Easy peasy but I'm short of time!
I enjoy your challenges :)  I think this one was 'Goldilocks & the Three Bears'

Gotta dash - it's