Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823232 times)

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2985 on: October 26, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
  Hi Val

I thought I was the only closet Kiwi   

It is very hard when you are a Pom neutralised Aussie

My rugby playing son in law wont take me to a Bedisloe Cup Game !!

Wonder why ?

Welsh Wales gets my vote against the Springboks

Carol

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 26, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
Hey Carol
Yes, it is hard.  I'm also neutralised.
Ha ha, fully understand your plight.  We have 'disagreements' in our household too.
Val

PS: The poms are currently in front dammit!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:53:37 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2987 on: October 26, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »

Your comment on wall to wall rain brought back memories of growing up in the Hunter Valley in the 1950s.

I live in the Hunter Valley. As I survey the desert that used to be my lawn, I think "If only" (whilst being fully aware that too much water is just as bad as next to none).

And my lawn problem is trivial compared with what the local farmers are going through.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 27, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
Hi Mike, Carol, Rose and Val(again)

I have a confession to make.  After enjoying a great dinner washed down by my share of a bottle of Brokenwood Wades Block Shiraz that had been hiding in the wine rack for some years, I took the iPad to bed to watch the second half of the rugby on Foxtel GO.  I didn't make it to full time and woke just a few minutes before midnight.

Mike, that was a great interpretation.  Thanks again for introducing us to World Wide Words.

Carol and Val, I am sorry that the result was not as we would have hoped for you closet Kiwis but at least Pen will be happy.

Rose, after 22 floods in two years in '49-50 and the big one in '55, I never thought I would want to see another flood again.  However, a small excess of water now would be very welcome.  I don't often  smell putrid mud these days but when I do, the memories come flooding (no pun intended) back.  It seems that the sense of smell is more closely linked to memory than any of the other senses,

I must go an see if I can get another couple of hours kip.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:24:40 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 27, 2019, 03:27:08 AM »
Evening All

How many of you remember this gentleman?  Mike definitely will :)
Mike I loved your "bread board" interpretation! To echo Jack thanks for the World Wide Words :)

I know I'm the lone voice in the wilderness but I think England deserved their win. I had a tear in my eye watching the England team sing the National Anthem.  So different to the lacklustre efforts of the England footballers :-R  The Kiwis have been the greatest team in the world for many years & are always a pleasure to watch.  I honestly didn't believe England had a snowballs chance. The only sour point in the game for me was when Sam Whitelock shoved Owen Farrell in the face.  Heat of the moment I expect.

Jack I enjoyed your cartoons & Bluey joke. Thankfully our rain hasn't got that bad here!  I've studied your challenge but am a bit stumped at the moment ???  Will return to it later.

An easy one for you today!  I must go & start dinner for myself & No1 daughter or
aM
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 27, 2019, 05:56:58 AM »
Sorry Jack

Need a clue!  Do I need to know who the first picture is?  Best I could come up with was something in and sweet which doesn't make any sense!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 27, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »
Pen, I thought you had used the first image in one of your posts, so I thought you would recognise it.  The word is the name of the film the image is from.

The letter count for the four word answer is 2,2,5's,4.   It is not an expression I had heard before.  I came across it when I was scanning the WWW index for inspiration.

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 27, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
Evening All

How many of you remember this gentleman?  Mike definitely will :)

Ah, Jack Warner (the British actor, not the Hollywood movie mogul) as everybody's favourite, friendly British bobby, George Dixon (of Dock Green).
Early Saturday evening on BBC TV would not have been quite the same without him.

A saint on earth, he would give help to anyone who needed it.
There was not a hint of police corruption or brutality about him, not to mention a total absence of racism, sexism, homophobia and promotion within the 'bare leg / funny handshake' group, all of which aspects of British policing were starting to come to light in the 1970s when the series finally ended after 20+ years.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2993 on: October 27, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
And there was always a little reflection or homily from PC (or was it Sergeant?) Dixon at the end, on the steps under the blue light (always night time, as I recall). Those were the days.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 27, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think he ever made it above the rank of Constable.

Incidentally, in 1955, the year that the TV series started, Jack Warner also appeared as a policeman in the classic comedy 'The Ladykillers'.
Watch him now in that great film and it's just like watching George Dixon - listening patiently to old Mrs Wilberforce as she tells him about the flying saucer that her neighbour imagined had landed in her garden.
In 'The Ladykillers', however, he had the rank of Superintendent.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 27, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
Evening All.  How many of you remember this gentleman?   

The only sour point in the game for me was when Sam Whitelock shoved Owen Farrell in the face.  Heat of the moment I expect.

Hi Pen,

Unlike those that have already commented, I am sure I had never heard of him, so it is possible the series didn't make it to Australia. 

However, thanks to google I am now an instant expert.

a little bit of nostalgia for you

A full episode of "Harry's back"

There are other full episodes on YouTube.

I am sure that shove would have been accidental.  Rugby players are real gentleman and certainly wouldn't do anything nasty on purpose. ;)

Wales once had a second row forward called Dai.  There was also a David who played on the wing, and a Daffyth at fullback.  To distinguish between the 3 Davids, they called Dai 'Eighteen months', because he only had an ear and a half.

Former RFU supremo Dudley Wood comment on Anglo-Welsh relations. "The relationship between the Welsh and the English is based on trust and understanding.  They don't trust us and we don't understand them".

Banner seen at Cardiff Arms Park. - "Ray Gravell Eats Soft Centres".  The great man explained his rugby philosophy thus:  "You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late".

Snow White was returning from town to the cottage in the forest where she lived with the 7 dwarfs.  In the distance she could see smoke, then as she got nearer she realized that her cottage had burnt down.

Frantically, Snow White searched the forest for the dwarfs, then she heard a a lone voice saying, 'Wales for the World Cup, Wales for the World Cup, Wales for the World Cup.

On hearing this chant, Snow White gave a gasp of relief as she knew that at least Dopey was safe.

Three Englishman walk into a bar and spot a Welshman sitting alone at a table.

One fellow said to the others, 'Let's pick a fight with that Welshman over there.'

His partner replied, 'Wait, we don't want to be arrested. Let's make him start the fight.'

The third Englishman said, 'Wait here chaps. I know how to do it.'

He went over to the Welshman and said, 'St David was a flippin' sissy.'

To this the Welshman replied, 'Ah well you don't say!' and calmly resumed drinking his beer.

The second Englishman now tried his luck and said to the Welshman, 'St David was a stupid fool that wore a dress!'

The Welshman again replied, 'You're very sharp, you don't say!' and calmly resumed drinking his beer.

The last Englishman told his friends he knew how to rile the Welshman and bounced up to the table and yelled, 'St David was an Englishman!'

The Welshman replied, calmly, 'That's what your mates were trying to tell me.'

I am glad you didn't get a flea in your ear.  It was an interesting write-up in WWW,

You will have solved the last challenge by now, so here is a new one:  8 words: 2,4'1,4,4,the,3,4,5

Image 1. only the last two letters of the first word
Image 2. only the last 5 letters of the second word
Image 3=the 4th word
The fifth word is literally "the"
Image 4 describes the 6th and 7th words
image 5: is a rhyming word for the last word

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 28, 2019, 02:56:20 AM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed your clips :) & jokes & cartoons :laugh:
You're spot on about rugby players being proper gentlemen :)

I solved your earlier challenge although I would have know it as 'up in Annie's room behind the clock!'  I haven't heard that since I was
a

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with my post today.  All of a sudden out of the blue.  Hope it's just a blip!

Is your latest challenge 'it aint over til the fat lady sings'?  Took me a fair while then the penny dropped :laugh:

Mrs Hopkins ordered a shoulder of Welsh lamb from her butcher, Mr Davies. She suspected that the meat she had been given was not the genuine article.
'Are you certain this is real Welsh lamb?' Mrs Hopkins demanded, angrily.
'Ah, well, Mrs Hopkins,' confessed Mr Davies, the butcher. 'Look you, that lamb was actually born in New Zealand but I can assure you that it had Welsh parents.'

I think this chap might be a long lost relative of Bluey >:D
An English beau called Charles had his first date with a French girl called Martine.  Charles decided that he would impress Martine, so he acquired an English/French dictionary in order to swot up on the language.
Charles carefully translated and learned every word perfectly with the correct annunciation and accent.  At last they met, and our gentleman friend greeted the young French mademoiselle with the carefully prepared phrase .... in perfect French.
As Charles finished the greeting Martine duly slapped him around the face and the young lady disappeared from the scene. The poor chap was left floundering on the street corner, wondering what went wrong.
All Charles wanted to say was "When I look into your face, time stands still." But when the phrase was translated correctly it came out as: "Your face would stop a clock!"

Talking of clocks we put ours back an hour last night.  Means I'll soon be driving home from work in the dark :(

off to see

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 28, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
Hi Pen,

Knee high?  They must have had big grasshoppers when you were growing up. ;D  You were spot on about the fat lady singing.

I was interested in the difference in explanation for the two idioms.

Up in Annie’s room

and its extension

up in Annie’s room behind the clock

I liked your jokes so I will continue with your theme of Languages, but I don’t believe your hero is anything like Bluey.

Bluey was never, or even tried to be, suave with the Ladies.  I used to tease him by saying his idea of foreplay was to say, “are you awake”. He wasn’t interested in foreign languages and didn’t even have an extensive vocabulary in English.  I’ll tell you a few stories to illustrate the point.

A linguistics professor engaged Bluey in conversation at the local pub the other day. “In English,” he said, “a double negative forms a positive. However, in some languages, such as Russian, a double negative remains a negative. But there isn’t a single language, not one, in which a double positive can express a negative.”.   Bluey’s bored reply was “Yeah, right.”

Bluey asked his smart-arse boss for a raise.  The boss responded with “Because of the fluctuational predisposition of your position’s productive capacity as juxtaposed to governmental statistics, it would be momentarily injudicious to advocate an incremental increase.”  Bluey looked puzzled and said, “I don’t get it.”  The Boss said, “That’s right.”

Bluey and his mate, Ocker, were working in a paddock beside the road from Moss Vale to Bowral when a big car with diplomatic license plates pulled up and the driver who was obviously lost came over to them.
“Parlez-vous français?” the driver asks them. Bluey and Ocker just stared.
“Sprechen Sie Deutsch?” The two continued to stare at him.
“Fala português?” Neither said anything.
“Parlate Italiano?” Still no response.
Finally, the man drives off in disgust. Ocker said, “Gee, maybe we should learn a foreign language…”  Bluey didn’t agree, “What for? That guy knew four of them and what good did it do him?”

I even found a photo of Bluey when he was  young bloke

And here’s one for the Americans.

A Spanish speaking bandit held up a bank in Tucson. The sheriff and his deputy chased him. When they captured him, and the sheriff, who couldn’t speak Spanish, asked him where he’d hidden the money. “No sé nada,” he replied.

The sheriff put a gun to the bandit’s head and said to his bi-lingual deputy: “Tell him that if he doesn’t tell us where the money is right now, I’ll blow his brains out.”

Upon receiving the translation, the bandit became very animated. “¡Ya me acuerdo! Tienen que caminar tres cuadras hasta ese gran arbol: allí está el dinero.”

The sheriff leaned forward. “Yeah? Well..?”

The deputy replied: “He says he wants to die like a man.”

I don’t think the Deputy was good at interpreting because I translated it as “I already remember! You have to walk three blocks to that big tree: The money is there. ”

Seeing it’s Monday, I’ll leave you with a dead simple challenge. (3,4,3,2)

Hint:  Image 1: it is the residence that you should focus on.

1's
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 28, 2019, 10:45:33 PM »
Hi Jack

We had quite a frost this morning.  My windscreen was very frozen.  Not often I wish I had a Ford rather than a Toyota but on frosty mornings I'd give anything for a heated windscreen rather than a heated rear window ;D
Mind you if I wasn't so lazy I would have turned the car round yesterday evening so the front was against the wall of the house & I wouldn't have had a problem.  So you could say I got my
sOR or

May I commennd you on your excellent post & ask if the challenge is 'set your cap at' :)

Work's a bit bonkers this morning so it's a flying visit!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:50:19 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 29, 2019, 10:32:42 PM »
Hi Pen,

You were absolutely right about Set your cap at.

With yours I've got the "serves me right" bit but am struggling with the first half although I guess it might be something about "just deserts".  A letter count might help.

Bluey's father, they called him Pothole because he was always in the road, served in Egypt in WWII and somehow got separated from his unit.

Pothole, practically dying of thirst in the desert and crawling on his hands and knees over the sand dunes, spies three coloured tents in the distance. Eventually he makes it to the first tent: “Water” he pleads.

No water here,” says the Arab in the first tent, “I only sell cream.”

Pothole crawls over to the second tent, “Water,” he pleads again.

No water here,” says the second Arab, “I only sell custard.

Pothole drags himself over to the third tent, “Water,” he croaks.

Sorry, no water here,” says the third Arab, “I only sell fruit and jelly.”

I can’t believe it,” said Pothole,”no water?”

I agree,” nodded the third Arab purveyor, “it is a trifle bazaar!”

I got a new toy today and I spend too much time playing with it and so now I am a bit short of time so I’ll leave you with this challenge which shouldn’t cause you too much trouble. letter count: 8,3’1,11,2,4,4

1's 2
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:36:32 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack