Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820037 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2850 on: September 18, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
Hi Jack

Working on the fracture clinic this morning.  It's busy but not manic thankfully!  There's still time though :laugh:

I enjoyed your nostalgia post. Made me smile.  I recognised some things or things where we had a similar equivalent. We still have a milkman delivering milk in glass bottles.  I remember my granddad having a vauxhall car with a gear stick on the steering wheel.  I loved the "Good Old Days".  Makes you really think & realise how much has changed since we were young.

I have to confess that I didn't actually try the PowerPoint in your other post :-[  I just went straight for the PDF which worked a treat.

I found this story by accident & it tickled me.
A man who had spent 20 years in prison for bank robbery back in 1963 thought he would try again in 2003 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA.  He demanded and received several thousand dollars from two surprised bank cashiers and as he fled he spilled $100 notes in his wake as he attempted to stuff the cash into his pockets and get away.

When he reached his hired getaway car he realised that he had locked his keys inside. This bungling burglar promptly took to his heels and fled the scene on foot followed by two passersby who grabbed him. The fleeing felon attempted to pull out his gun but failed, and shot himself in his leg but kept fighting his would be assailants; one of whom shot the suspect.

The local police have charged the robber with 8 felonies, including robbery and 2 counts of attempted murder. The suspect was attended to in hospital and recovered.

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused a Novocain injection during root canal treatment?

He wanted to transcend dental medication.

Soon be lunchtime :-H

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: September 18, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »

I have to confess that I didn't actually try the PowerPoint in your other post :-[  I just went straight for the PDF which worked a treat.

Loved the Buddhist joke.   

I would appreciate it if you would try the PowerPoint one and let me know the result.  Powerpoint presentations allow moveable images whereas PDF only allow static images.  An analogy is why we often use GIFs rather than JPGs.  If you can make it work look at the frogs smile in the last frame.

Here are some aged persons Bumper stickers for you.

Never ever let the groom  order the wedding cake

This is why

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: September 18, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
Love the bumper stickers :laugh: & the wedding cake was hilarious :laugh:

I did try the power point & it opened & I could see all the pictures.  I didn't have any moveable images.  I can try it again at home later but my laptop is considerably older technology wise than what we have here at work!

Had a busy morning & this afternoon looks like being even busier :o

Didn't suss your sign off ???  I wasn't sure what the wavey thing was sorry :laugh:  Looked a bit like a dolphin?

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: September 19, 2019, 12:20:03 AM »
the only moving image in that particular PowerPoint was the frog in the last frame going something like this

the bird actually looks like this

:-Z

Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: September 19, 2019, 05:06:08 AM »
Love the "good old days" quote and every word is true!

Some weeks ago there were a number of school children's marches about protecting the environment etc. These of course were held during school hours and have not been repeated in the recent six week holiday period(? Why I wonder?) At the end of these rallies the kids dispersed into town and many of them came into the shop where I work. I love my job and we sell some great things but most of them are not exactly necessary to life. They are more for fun and the vast majority are plastic. Many purchases were made by the placard wielding kids. Much buttoning of the lip was done by me and the other staff especially those of us of more mature years.I can't decide whether it is allowed to consider this as rank hypocrisy as they are of course very young but I do wonder about their education from their parents and teachers and why they don't have at least some real truths pointed out to them by these people. I certainly remember "knowing best" about a few things when young and my parents not being afraid to point out the other side of the argument.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2855 on: September 19, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
Regarding the "Good Old Days" piece, generational warfare is odious, but certainly the current younger generation can't be blamed for most of the changes lamented in the piece. I remember protesting against the abolition of returnable milk bottles in the early 1970s. The change was being driven no doubt by business managers who were then middle-aged or older.

The more important point perhaps is that greenhouse emissions wouldn't be reduced sufficiently even if we all went back to the consumption patterns of the 1950s - at least not if the whole world's population is to live that sort of life. There need to be changes in how our power is generated and in the technologies used for transport, farming, mining, etc. This requires political policy action, preferably coordinated world-wide.

Yes, we should think twice before buying stuff we probably don't need - and I don't think teenagers are the only ones guilty of compulsive consumerism - but systemic changes are needed to avert environmental crisis. That's why I'll be rallying to support the strike for climate action - tomorrow here in Australia.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: September 19, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
Hear! Hear!

For a number of years now, Thailand, my adoptive home, has promoted tourism with the slogan 'Amazing Thailand'.

I'm afraid that recently one of the most amazing features of this very beautiful country has been its polluted beaches.

A recent high-profile case has been the death of a well-known and well-loved dugong, which choked on plastic garbage that it swallowed.

Anything, anything at all, which can reduce the world's dependence on plastic and ensure that what is used is properly and economically recycled has to be to the good.

Education is the answer.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:56:29 PM by mkenuk »

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: September 19, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Oh MK, that is so very very sad.  Unfortunately, the same thing is happening all around Australia too, particularly on our off-shore islands where wildlife is abundant.  We were in the Arctic a couple of years ago and every time we went ashore we would come back to the ship with a zodiac (inflatable rubber boat) full of plastic garbage that we'd picked up off the beaches.  The hold of our little ship was overflowing by the end of our three week trip.  The Galapagos has seen the light and is now banning all use of plastic on the islands.  It is a truly horrific problem.
Val
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:44:27 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
Hi Pen,

I am glad I made the comment that I didn't identify with the "good old days" because although there are some parts of it which ring true I think the overall conclusion is false as has been pointed out eloquently.

Given the serious and important points made in the discussion I think it would be disrespectful to go straight into our usual banter and so I suggest we take a rain check for a day on the humour. I am tied up for the next little while but I will look for something which compliments the discussion when I get the chance.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:24:13 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »
Hi Jack

I agree wholeheartedly.  I'll take my cue from you & wait for you to post.

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
People in the 1950’s were a product of their recent history.  Most remembered the privations of the Great Depression, the horribleness of war and the Holocaust, and the shortages that remained for some time after the war.  By force of circumstance they did the “green thing”, they just didn’t have a name for it.

The 60’s and 70’s saw a period of great prosperity and the threat of nuclear war.  A lot of people didn’t see the value in long term planning if we weren’t going to be around.

Since then technological change, religious extremism, and the increasing unequal distribution of wealth has changed national psyches and our way of living has accelerated climate change.  We can’t go back to the way of living the way people did in the 50’s.  We must take every opportunity to do the “green thing”

You may find these videos interesting/informative.

Greta Thunberg addresses the UN

Humour can be used to sell Climate Change

Made in 2006 but would be even more worrying today
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:32:42 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: September 20, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
Organisers estimate 300,000 Australians have gathered at climate change rallies around the country in one of the largest protest events in the nation's history.

More than 2,500 Australian businesses took part, either closing their doors or allowing their employees to walk off the job.

The Australian protesters called for the Federal Government to commit to:
•   No new coal, oil or gas projects
•   100 per cent renewable energy generation and exports by 2030
•   Funding for "a just transition and job creation for all fossil fuel industry workers and communities"

I believe that this issue has reached a ”Tipping Point.  A tipping point is when an issue slowly builds to a critical mass, a threshold in which it continues to grow force under its own momentum and becomes impossible to reverse.  Even our bone-headed conservative politicians will have to take action.

Our Local Scene- you'll note even Mary Poppins was there

Quote from: 2ST

Around a thousand people have turned up to today's Climate strike in Bowral.

The crowd heard from a number of school students who spoke about the need for Governments to take action on climate change.

The students came from a range of different schools including public and private and Spokesperson Stephanie Jedrasiak says they didn't hear of any schools discouraging students from attending.

She insists the message is that students want to be heard and want a climate change emergency to be declared.

A number of letters have been sent to our local politicians to re - iterate this.

Local resident and former Labor Minister Minister Peter Garratt was also in attendance and believes it sends a very strong message that the time for denial is over.

Pretty small beer compared with your rally in Melbourne, Alan, but pretty good for a small rural area.  There probably would have been a larger attendance but the weather was threatening and there was only street parking.  

When I arrived, knackered after Gym and dog-walking, I found that I would have had to park a kilometre away and so I squibbed it.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: September 20, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
Hi Pen,

I think we can return to normal now.  I’ll keep them weak so you don’t get too excited. ;)

In a monastery in Wyoming, every day before breakfast the Superior would
chant "Good Morning, Good Morning" and the Brothers would all chant
back "Good Morning, Good Morning." There was only one problem with this
morning chant, one brother thought it was the stupidest thing in the world.
He really hated it.

One morning he decided that he would get them all back and hopefully stop this
stupidity. That morning he went to breakfast and the Superior came in and
chanted "Good Morning, Good Morning" and all the Brothers except the one
chanted, "Good Morning, ..." At this the one Brother chanted as loud as
he could, "Good Evening."

Upon hearing this the Superior stood up and chanted "Someone chanted evening!"

A golfer was warned by his doctor that his heart was too weak to continue playing the game, but he refused to give up his favourite sport. Sure enough, next time he played, he suffered a heart attack and ended up in the hospital. When his doctor saw him again, he admonished the guy, saying “What did I tell you? You should have put the heart before the course!”

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:51:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: September 21, 2019, 05:03:40 AM »
Hi Jack

Your post was very funny but I did manage not to get too excited >:D  No telling what might happen.  My post will be short & quite tame as I certainly don't want you getting over excited >:D & I'm popping out in a bit!

I'm sure I've already told you but No1 Daughter jumps out of an aeroplane tomorrow.  She's doing it to raise money for a local animal charity.  HULA.
Thankfully she'll be strapped to somebody but I think I'll be watching with my eyes closed!

Sorry a bit lame! :-[

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: September 21, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »
Regarding the "Good Old Days" piece, generational warfare is odious ... <snip>

Very much agreed — although such pieces seem to always survive (typically updated to be current).

I do wish, however, that more beverages were in re-usable glass containers: pay a deposit, get a refund when returning — even if making and reusing glass containers were more expensive (it would be, IMO, worth paying a bit more).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:59:24 AM by TRex »