Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876225 times)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1830 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:00 AM »
20 was just a very lucky guess on the probability.
I hesitate to offer this logic puzzle to such clever people and apologise if it's already been done: http://www.brain-fun.com/Brain-Teasers/EinsteinsRiddle.php
About a year ago I did it with pictures of houses in a row rather than properly with a grid, but I know better now.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
I hesitate to offer this logic puzzle to such clever people

Hi Anona,

A great puzzle.  Not so clever here I am afraid. I remember doing it it years ago and so I knew the methodology for attacking it.  It didn't stop me making a wrong assumption on the first attempt and coming up with an obviously wrong column half way through.  I was more careful on the second attempt and got the answer..

All in all it provided over an hours fun.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:23:33 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: December 06, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
I'm still struggling with it, having made some erroneous efforts earlier tonight.  But I refuse to give up so I've saved it for when I have more time.  I actually think I know the answer, but I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion.

"And still, she persisted."

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: December 06, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
One of the toughest brain-teasers ever is the 12 billiard ball problem.
I first came across it when I was teaching in UK. A maths teacher had found it in 'Omni' magazine. (Is that still going, I wonder?)
It took a group of us - ardent puzzle solvers all - two days of what is now called 'brainstorming' to come up with the solution.

Here is the problem.

http://www.curiouser.co.uk/puzzles/12balls.htm

Be reassured - there is a solution, but it will require time and thought.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:37:39 PM by mkenuk »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: December 06, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
So you won't be expecting responses in the near future, I hope, if a group of Maths teachers took 2 days.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: December 06, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
Chris Evans on BBC Radio 2 was talking about Edward de Bono this morning.  I had totally forgotten all about him but he used to do very interesting programmes back in the 1970's I think. He was famous for lateral thinking & looking at things differently.
Nothing to do with anything this cartoon just tickled me.

De Bono had a long run.  His first book was in the late 60's and he was still active in this century.  I went to one of his seminars in the 90's and apart from the fact that he was very impressive, the only thing I can remember from it was his six coloured hats method of solving problems involving great conflict.

I am chuckling about you being tickled, Pen.

Just picked up a visitor from Canberra so I'd better go and entertain him

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:05:07 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »
Hi Jack
I'm struggling with Anona's puzzle.  It reminds me of a much harder version of the 11plus exam I sat many moons ago!  Mind you it's not easy to concentrate when you have patients to deal with :laugh:
I will give it more attention later & failing that I'll rope in No1 daughter who is the brains of the outfit!  Mind you that might be classed as cheating :o

I'm tickled about your chuckling :laugh:
Enjoy your day with your visitor :)
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Mind you it's not easy to concentrate when you have patients to deal with :laugh:
I'm tickled about your chuckling :laugh:

You'll need to concentrate to solve it but if you can't concentrate there are ways to fake it. :D

Being tickled apparently is good for mental health.

Gym and weekend shopping is done and so I am now looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend.

Have a good one, Pen

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: December 08, 2018, 06:34:18 AM »
Thanks Jack.
I must admit I'm looking forward to a lovely lazy weekend. 
If being tickled is good for mental health then you do mine the power of good :)

I will revisit Anona's puzzle over the weekend.  Not tonight!  I'm going to search for a few words & then slump in front of Midsomer Murders with a glass of particularly fine pink. Maison Castel Cotes de Provence Rose.  It's in a very pretty shaped bottle!  It was a gift from a very discerning friend.  Much appreciated :)
Adios Amigo
Bottoms Up!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: December 08, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Hi Pen,

Thanks for the compliment.  It is commonly accepted that laughter is good for both physical and mental health.  It is certainly better for you than swearing.

There is something about a lazy long weekend that makes you want to reminisce.

When I was growing up, every time my father swore, he would add "Pardon my French".I'll never forget my first day at school when the teacher asked us if we knew any French words.  So I gave him some of my father’s favourites.  He went bright red and said "If that's your French, I'd hate to hear your English."

When I was in Brisbane, I went to see my grandson play in an under 8’s Football match.  After about 15 minutes, the referee called my grandson over and said “Look son, we all want to win and we are all passionate about the game but I’ve heard a lot of shouting and swearing and terrible language today and that is not acceptable, do you understand?”.  

“Yes, Sir”
said my grandson.

The Referee said “GOOD, so if you could just go over to the touchline and explain all that to your grandfather, we can get on with the game.

When I got back to the Southern Highlands, I heard a story about two young brothers, say 6 and 4 years old, who live just up the road from us.  They were up in their bedroom planning mischief.

"You know what?" says the older one, "I think it's about time we started swearing."

His brother nods his head in approval.

The older one says "When we go downstairs for breakfast I'm going to swear first, then you swear after me, OK?"

"Ok"   agrees his brother with enthusiasm.

Their mother walks into the kitchen and asks the older one what he wants for breakfast.

"Oh, shit Mum, I s'pose I'll have some Coco Pops"

He got a very stern reprimand and lecture from his mother, got up, and ran upstairs crying his eyes out. She looked at the younger one and asked with a stern voice,:-

"And what do YOU want for breakfast, young man?"

"I don't know, Mum" he blubbers,"but it won't be bloody Coco Pops."

I didn’t think there would be anybody left in Midsomer to Murder.

I looked up your Maison Castel Cotes de Provence Rose.  I agree that it has a great bottle and it sounds like it would be a great drop if you like Rose.

Keep laughing, Pen, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:14:23 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: December 09, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »
Quote from:  Peter FitzSimons in today’s SMH

Joke of the Week

A man is cupping his hand to scoop water from a Highland burn.

The gamekeeper shouts, “Dinnae drink thon water, mun, it’s foo o’ coo’s shite ’n’ pish.”

The man replies, “My good fellow, I’m English. Be a good chap and repeat that in the Queen’s English.”

The gamekeeper replies, “I said use both hands – you get more that way.”

I’ve heard this one many times but I have a chuckle every time I see (hear) it.  No, I definitely am not an Anglophobe but I am a self confessed Scotophile. >:D
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: December 09, 2018, 06:31:59 AM »
Evening Jack
I'm having a lovely lazy Saturday.  No1 daughter has gone to Wembley to watch a band call Nightwish.  Just texted to say she has a great seat & is just waiting for the support act to start.  Very loud!!  I'm slightly concerned about her travelling home alone on the train at midnight but she's a grown up so I have to pretend not to worry!
The jokes really tickled me :laugh:

Sunburn

As you love all things Scottish I'm sending you a snippet of Billy :)
hope I haven't posted it before or I'll feel a proper numpty :o
The wine was very yummy.  Had half last night & will finish it tonight with a film if I can find one!
Happy Sunday
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: December 09, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
I forgot to say you're probably right about Midsomer Murders. A very dangerous place to live :laugh: The problem is ITV keep repeating the same old episodes.  They made loads & I wish they'd put some different ones on!  We have some new ones being made but I expect it'll be next year before they see the light of day!

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »
Jack

Loved the Highland burn joke!

When camping in Scotland in my teens, my friend and I washed our hair in the burn (a little guilty about polluting it with shampoo) and also had a drink. We walked further up, only to find after less than 100 yards, a dead sheep lying right across the burn.

We worried less about the shampoo after that, but a bit more about our own health.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: December 09, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »
Hi Anona,

Camping was great fun when we were young but I don't know about you, but this is more my style these days.

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com