Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876166 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11610 on: Yesterday at 12:50:59 AM »
Ok Pen.  There's nowt worse than a dithery hag!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: Yesterday at 12:52:40 AM »

After that little preamble I was wondering what the worst meal forumites indulged in

Where to start Carol! Back in 2006 Eve and I had our first holiday together.  We stayed at the Villa Borghese in Greoux-Les-Bains.  Our tour manager told us on the way to the hotel that the food was sublime.  Proper Provencal fare!  It was horrible - we hated most of it.  It was a long standing joke that the chef's wife had got him a blender for his birthday.  All the veggies were pureed to within an inch of their lives!  They served us raw salt cod (also pureed) and it was repulsive.  Among other delights were fresh water fish.  Perch and tench which I'm sure some people love but sadly we didn't. The Eurostar terminated at Waterloo in those days.  I can remember we ran up the platform with our suitcases straight into Burgerking.  The burger and chips barely touched the sides!  Never has food tasted so good  :laugh:

I have had food poisoning from an M & S chicken dish

I had a similar experience with an M&S king prawn pasta dish Linda  :(  I haven't looked at a king prawn since!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: Yesterday at 12:54:42 AM »
Ok Pen.  There's nowt worse than a dithery hag!  >:D

I suspected you might say that Linda  :laugh:  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: Yesterday at 02:35:07 AM »
Hi Jack

I didn't have a very auspicious start to my Monday.  I woke this morning with a bloody rotten headache.  I went back to sleep for a couple of hours and the horrible ziggy zaggy had cleared from my vision when I woke.  Apart from a bit of a muzzy head I'm fine now thank goodness.

I'm having a change again today.  My puzzle is a song from the 1960's.

#4 7 (#2 + #5) #2 #3 13 (#3 + #3 + #5 +#2)

Please lose the first two letters of picture three and replace them with a single letter from near the beginning of the alphabet. You need the last two letters of picture four and three consecutive letters from picture five.  Please ignore the witch and cat in picture six and use the first three letters of what you're left with. First name of gent in picture seven and lose the first letter of the first name of the actor in picture nine. Two homophones and we're all on one line.

For those who have no idea who the gent is in picture seven this may help  >:D

I'm going to have a rummage in the fridge!

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:44:09 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: Yesterday at 04:11:19 PM »
I woke this morning with a bloody rotten headache. 

I'm having a change again today.  My puzzle is a song from the 1960's.

Hi Pen,

I hope that head wasn't the result of an increasing love of a product from one of our neighbours.

Actually, it was your excellent rebus and a shaky connection with our neighbours across the ditch that dropped a piece of trivia into my lap.

The title of your rebus is also the title of is a 1999 New Zealand drama film directed by Ian Mune and starring Temuera Morrison as an abusive Māori husband, Jake "the Muss" Heke. The film is based on Alan Duff's novel of the same name which is the sequel to Once Were Warriors (1990), which was made into the film of the same name (1994).

It enjoyed significant theatrical exposure and, as of 2007, was the fifth highest-grossing New Zealand film in the domestic market.  It won nine of its 13 New Zealand Film Award nominations in 1999, including Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Music.

Despite all the kudos I have read the synopsis and I don’t think I would like it.

I believe that the Ulysses restaurant has been the The Olive at Hawker for the last thirty odd years.  We had many good meals there apart from the Freebie.  The Owner waiter had a remarkable talent.  He would take a dozen or more orders for full meals without writing anything down and deliver the orders flawlessly to the people who ordered them.  We thought he was just showing off but we heard later that he could neither read nor write and so his skill was essential.Do any long term Canberra residents remember the Ulysses

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: Yesterday at 04:49:41 PM »
After that little preamble I was wondering what the worst meal forumites indulged in

Hi Carol,

I was an only child and very spoilt, so I was never made to eat anything I didn’t like.  Our meals were substantial but stock standard Aussie.  We were poor so there was nothing fancy, but you can eat well on a farm if grow stuff yourself and barter with your neighbours.

When I was the dislikeable larrikin that I was when I first went to Canberra, I had a small-scale success at Rugby Union but an even greater fame at the drinking that followed the games.  So there were probably many meals that would have satisfied your request but I couldn’t remember them the next morning, let alone today.

I was quickly taken under control by the person who has made me the quiet conservative man you know today. 

What I can say is the palate must change as you age.  Many foods I would nor eat years ago are among my favourite dishes today when cooked well.  I couldn’t abide Cabbage, but I can’t get enough Coleslaw.  I hated spinach but love Szechuan spinach today.

But I am looking forward to hearing about food I should avoid.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:39:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: Yesterday at 09:36:16 PM »

I was quickly taken under control by the person who has made me the quiet conservative man you know today. 

I hope that head wasn't the result of an increasing love of a product from one of our neighbours.

Hi Jack

Do we think June deserves a medal?  >:D  :laugh:  Joking apart what a brilliant job she did  :)  I for one am very pleased you're not at all too quiet and conservative  >:D

The headache, sadly, wasn't the result of an overindulgence of my new found love of Kiwi sauv blanc.  Almost wish it had been and then I could at least say I enjoyed it at the time and suffered for the cause  :laugh:  I probably should be grateful you didn't call me a dummkopf!

We've had a busy morning and it's nearly lunchtime  :-H  I'll try and get back this afternoon with something a bit more substantial.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:38:21 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: Today at 01:31:01 AM »
I'm Back Jack

Don't know how far I'll get but I'll give it my best shot.

It's a film from the 1960's.   Probably more to my taste than yours  :laugh:

8 (#4 + #4) 2 #3 #4

Please ignore kitty and use three consecutive letters from what he's holding.  You need four letters from picture three. One homophone and position is vitally important.

I'll leave you with a little bit of Hollywood trivia. 
From “We’ll always have Paris” to “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” Casablanca remains one of the most quotable films of all time. But its most famous line wasn’t actually in the script to start with.
Legend has it that while Humphrey Bogart was teaching his co-star Ingrid Bergman how to play poker on set between takes, he’d say, “Here’s looking at you, kid.” Then, while filming, the actor decided to incorporate it into his scenes and cinema history was made.

I've been stopping and starting so I hope all is ok.  Not long till going home time.  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: Today at 01:49:45 AM »
Was Robert Redford ever that young?

Great rebus but you were right,  the movie not to my taste.   :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: Today at 07:00:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: Today at 01:54:47 AM »
That was very speedy Jack!  20 minutes and counting...

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11620 on: Today at 09:05:48 AM »
Great rebus but you were right,  the movie not to my taste.

Very much to my taste, though, and, bizarrely, I watched it last night!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: Today at 01:39:12 PM »
Do we think June deserves a medal?  >:D  :laugh:  Joking apart what a brilliant job she did  :) 

June said it is a work in progress.  Still a lot to do.
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: Today at 01:50:53 PM »
I think I am the only hag who contributes on here, Jack.  Gone are the heady days of hagism, much to many people's delight, I'm sure, but it amused us at the time. Perhaps the hags could be reformed.  I'm sure Pen would be a great head hag!  >:D

Hi Linda,

I wasn't trying to reform the hags.  That's way above my pay grade. But you all were a significant part of the forum and I was curious to see how members of the group were going post Chi.

The repartee between you and Pen are an enjoyable feature of this thread but I warn you I am copying down all the food ideas and am going to make a fortune  publishing my recipe book  >:D
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: Today at 07:25:41 PM »
I am copying down all the food ideas and am going to make a fortune  publishing my recipe book  >:D

Do you really think so, Jack?  We tend to be very basic (well I tend to be very basic, I can't speak for Pen) and mainly just slosh a load of salad cream on sarnies or rifle through the M & S food store for something quick and easy to shove in the oven.  Perhaps the title of your recipe book could be 'Can't Be Arsed to Cook Tonight' or 'A Hundred Ways with Salad Cream'.  I'm already anticipating the royalties rolling in!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: Today at 07:35:58 PM »

Very much to my taste, though, and, bizarrely, I watched it last night!

That's spooky Yvonne!  I might have a look for it on Saturday evening.  Be great to watch something different for a change  :laugh:

Sorry I've been meaning to ask but completely forgot.  Is your home fully repaired and back to how it should be after your terrible ordeal back in August? 

Penx