Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 866517 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11490 on: September 14, 2024, 12:01:03 AM »
Quote from: On the hop of Bletchleylink=topic=3647.msg83432#msg83432 date=1726233766
A flying visit from me today! 

For your bonus point can you name the author of the book upon which the film is based.  For your super bonus point can you name the detective created by the same author who had his own telly series about thirty odd years ago.

Hi Pen,

An even more flying visit from me as I should have been asleep hours ago

Margery Allingham.  Albert Campion.

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: September 14, 2024, 12:03:11 AM »
Hi Pen and thanks for the tip about TU.  Just got some lovely grey biker type lace up boots for less than half the price of the pair from Fat Face! 

Bad news is that I forgot to pick up flaming scotch eggs!  However, I do have some lovely pork pie with an egg in the middle to have with my salad and spuds for tea. 

Coffee time for me ...  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: September 14, 2024, 04:16:09 AM »
Hi Pen and thanks for the tip about TU.  Just got some lovely grey biker type lace up boots for less than half the price of the pair from Fat Face! 

Bad news is that I forgot to pick up flaming scotch eggs!  However, I do have some lovely pork pie with an egg in the middle to have with my salad and spuds for tea. 

That's great Linda  :)  I love TU stuff.  I've had loads of T shirts and jumpers from them.

I can't believe you got the boots and forgot the scotch eggs  >:D  The Taste the Difference ones are very yummy.  I'm sure you enjoyed the pork pie though.

Back to work Monday.  My two weeks have gone in a flash  :(
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: September 14, 2024, 04:20:23 AM »

An even more flying visit from me as I should have been asleep hours ago

Margery Allingham.  Albert Campion.

Hi Again Jack

Spot on!  Two bonus points heading your way.

Thanks for Pickles - very funny.  Really tickled me  :laugh:

I've got a bottle of pink muck in the fridge and just got to select a film to watch with it.  No Zoe this evening so I have to decide by myself.  Could take a while!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: September 15, 2024, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi Jack

Another lovely sunny day here  :)  We're having a real Indian Summer!

Today's rebus may well be a repeat.  Not sure.  If it is then I hope it's different enough to not matter!

It's a song that's a few years older than me.

#3 #4 #2 #4 #6 2 #3 #6

Please use the first word of picture one and lose the first letter. A verb for picture two and lose the third letter.  You need the middle two letters of picture three.  The bird in picture four has eight letters and you want the middle four.  First three letters of the character in picture five.  Please use either one in picture six and position is vitally important. A bonus point if you can tell me who sang it.

Two nuns were driving down a country road when they ran out of petrol. They walked to a farmhouse and a farmer gave them some petrol; but the only container he had was an old bedpan. The nuns were happy to take whatever they were offered and returned to their car. As they were pouring the petrol from the bedpan into the tank of their car, a vicar drove by. He stopped, rolled down his window and said, "Excuse me, sisters. I'm not of your religion, but I couldn't help admiring your faith....!"

Leave you with a silly joke  ;D  Got a corned beef and tomato sarnie calling me from the kitchen  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: September 15, 2024, 11:25:43 PM »
Another lovely sunny day here  :)  We're having a real Indian Summer!

Hi Pen,

It was freezing here today.   On average only about 4oC warmer than Bletchley.  The sun came out occasionally but the wind was a killer.

A very cunning rebus. My thought when I finally worked out pictures two and five was that you don't believe in giving the suckers an even break.

P.S. I forgot the bonus point. Was it it Patti Page?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 11:35:39 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: September 16, 2024, 04:06:52 AM »

It was freezing here today.   On average only about 4oC warmer than Bletchley.  The sun came out occasionally but the wind was a killer.

A very cunning rebus. My thought when I finally worked out pictures two and five was that you don't believe in giving the suckers an even break.

P.S. I forgot the bonus point. Was it it Patti Page?

Hi Again Jack

If it's been that cold did you actually abandon your shorts?  :laugh: It's actually been very windy here too and the sun vanished and it rained this afternoon.  Teach me to be cocky  :laugh:  I'm off to Trent Bridge on Thursday to watch my mob against your mob in a one day.  It doesn't start until 12.30 which I though was a bit odd.  Day/night usually starts at 2.30 and normal one day usually starts at about 11.  Looking forward to it but I suspect when it gets to evening and the sun's gone it'll feel very chilly!

I thought the bird in my rebus might give you a bit of a problem.  I wasn't sure if you're a twitcher  >:D  :laugh:  I did bung a couple of clues in my first cartoon and last picture but you might not have noticed them sorry. Or was it Kojak you were having problems with? Another bonus point in your account  :)

I'm very much not looking forward to the alarm going off at 6am tomorrow  :(

Penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: September 16, 2024, 06:25:06 PM »
I'm very much not looking forward to the alarm going off at 6am tomorrow  :(

I didn't realize that 6 am existed, Pen!  I used to crawl out of my pit around 7.30 for work when I started at 9 but those days are long gone now I just do a couple of afternoons.  My commute to work consisted of a 5ish minute walk, mainly downhill!  My previous job was even less of an onerous commute - 3 minutes at a push.  I am definitely more an owl than a lark!

It's very misty here this morning but the sun is forecast to appear at some point.  Hopefully it does as I have a large load of washing waiting to be pegged out. 

Have a lovely day!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: September 16, 2024, 07:23:19 PM »

I didn't realize that 6 am existed, Pen!  I used to crawl out of my pit around 7.30 for work when I started at 9 but those days are long gone now I just do a couple of afternoons.  My commute to work consisted of a 5ish minute walk, mainly downhill!  My previous job was even less of an onerous commute - 3 minutes at a push.  I am definitely more an owl than a lark!

It's very misty here this morning but the sun is forecast to appear at some point.  Hopefully it does as I have a large load of washing waiting to be pegged out. 

Have a lovely day!  >:D

I wish I could walk to work Linda!  I start work at 8 and my drive usually takes about 15 minutes.  I have to get in very early as parking at the hospital is a nightmare.  For staff and patients alike.
I'm probably more of an owl than a lark as well but at least I only have to get up early on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!

It was sunny here when I came in.  My windows look out onto the building next door so I have no idea if it's still sunny  :(

Hope you get your washing out and I'm certain you'll definitely have a lovely day  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: September 17, 2024, 05:38:41 PM »
If it's been that cold did you actually abandon your shorts?
I thought the bird in my rebus might give you a bit of a problem.  I wasn't sure if you're a twitcher  >:D  :laugh:
I did bung a couple of clues in my first cartoon and last picture but you might not have noticed them.
Was it Kojak you were having problems with?

Hi Pen,

Be serious, Pen.  Although it wasn’t the main one, one of the reasons I came up to Brisbane was that I wouldn’t have to wear long trousers or anything heavier on top than a T-Shirt.

Birds, Actors and celebrities rarely give me a problem.  I know almost know none of them but google does. On average, I would only solve one rebus in 20, if I didn’t use google.

I don’t understand.  Are we talking about the cartoons and pictures in the rebus or the jokes below the rebus.  It it is the latter, I wouldn’t give a thought to associating them with the rebus.

Kojak didn’t give me a problem until I had solved the whole rebus.  When I think I have an answer I go back and see if I can make how you could have arrived at the problem.   You usually give a pointer to whether we are looking at at the first name or the surname and whether it is the real name or screen name,  It took my second google search before I found “Theo”

It was munch that almost escaped me after I had tried Mulch. The term “munch” isn’t as commonly used in Australia as it is in the UK. In Australia, people might use terms like “snack,” “nibble,” or “have a bite” instead. Australian slang tends to have its own unique flavor, with words like “tucker” for food and “snag” for sausage.  Although I knew what it meant, I doubt that I have ever used it, .

It was a great rebus,  So although I admit to being a sucker, I think that you could sometimes be kinder to us suckers.  Not all the time because Carol, Yvonne, Moyra, Madelaine  and other experts might get bored if they got too easy.

P.S; The only time I twitch is when I see Donalt Trump on TV;

« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 05:46:39 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: September 17, 2024, 10:19:24 PM »

Be serious, Pen.  Although it wasn’t the main one, one of the reasons I came up to Brisbane was that I wouldn’t have to wear long trousers or anything heavier on top than a T-Shirt.

I don’t understand.  Are we talking about the cartoons and pictures in the rebus or the jokes below the rebus.  It it is the latter, I wouldn’t give a thought to associating them with the rebus.

It was munch that almost escaped me after I had tried Mulch. The term “munch” isn’t as commonly used in Australia as it is in the UK. In Australia, people might use terms like “snack,” “nibble,” or “have a bite” instead. Australian slang tends to have its own unique flavor, with words like “tucker” for food and “snag” for sausage.  Although I knew what it meant, I doubt that I have ever used it, .

I think that you could sometimes be kinder to us suckers. 

Hi Jack

My two weeks off seem like a distant memory now!  I was very gently pulling your leg about the shorts  :laugh:  It was the squirrel with his nuts and the down the hatch picture which was meant to help to steer you towards nuthatch but it wasn't obviously one of my better ideas - sorry  :(  To be honest I don't think "munch" is that common here any more.  I love your "tucker" for food and "snag" for sausages.  I don't know why but they just tickle me  :)  I wonder how sausages ended up being called snag. 

I will most certainly take your comments on board and will (mostly  >:D) keep things more straightforward  :)

Hopefully you'll find today's offering a bit better  :)  It's a record from the 1970s.

10 (#5 + #5) 6 (#3 + #3)

You need the name of the German river in picture one.  Picture two - I loved this when I was a kid.  Two words 8 + 4.  Please lose the first three letters of the first word.  Picture four please lose the first and last letters.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.  Can you name the singer for a bonus point?

HE said: “You remind me of a pepper pot.” I said: “I’ll take that as a condiment.”

IF quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

MY dad used to say: “Always fight fire with fire.” Which is probably why he got thrown out of the fire brigade.

I'll leave you with a little bit of Peter Kay  ;D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 10:23:14 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: Yesterday at 12:33:47 AM »
I will most certainly take your comments on board and will (mostly  >:D) keep things more straightforward 

Hi Pen,

Even though I should have turned over and gone straight back to sleep, I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed your rebus more than I have for many a day. It wasn't just  because it was one  of the 1 in 20 that I solved without consulting Google and I don't think it was any easier than usual.  I think it was because each of the clues aligned with my range of experiences.  I even knew the singer for the bonus point because he starred in the first adaptation of True Grit with John Wayne which I have watched at least five times.

It might just have been my day because in the morning my usual opening of Wordle scored four direct hits.  Even then it took me two more goes to get it right.

As a show of appreciation, I have found two more Pickles and have added the latest Bonnie story from her dog walker..

Our last walk with Max and Bonnie. Max is one of our more reactive boys and doesn't particularly like other dogs and Bonnie is our healer. She is calm, peaceful and heals hearts and minds but don't let the postie or garbage truck come past because then she engages her Wolverine mode.
Anyway, back to Max and Bonnie. We met up in the park and Max was not entirely sure about this whole thing but by the end of it, they were walking next to each other quite happily.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:35:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: Yesterday at 04:31:05 AM »

Even though I should have turned over and gone straight back to sleep, I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed your rebus more than I have for many a day.

As a show of appreciation, I have found two more Pickles and have added the latest Bonnie story from her dog walker..

Bonnie is our healer. She is calm, peaceful and heals hearts and minds but don't let the postie or garbage truck come past because then she engages her Wolverine mode.

Thanks for that Jack - you made my day  :) I very much enjoyed my extra Pickles  :laugh:

I was very touched by what the dog walkers said about Bonnie.  I also laughed at the comment about the postie and (as we'd call it!) the bin lorry  :laugh:

Am a bit knacked so am going to search for a few words and conk out in front of the box  :-Y

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: Yesterday at 08:55:57 PM »
G'day Jack

It started off nice and quiet today but didn't last long.  Busy old day again  :laugh:

I'm attempting a film today and continuing with trying to be straightforward! It's about 10 years old.

8 (#5 + #3): #3 #6 #7

:

Link the first two pictures together please.  Picture three not who she is but what (two choices  :laugh:) last three letters.  Please use three consecutive letters from picture four and pretend it's all on one line.

Lunchtime hurrah  :-H