Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 865809 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11445 on: August 29, 2024, 11:24:05 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a beautiful sunny day here.  I've done a few chores and the washing's on the line.  I'm happily contemplating my two weeks off and my visit to David tomorrow  :)

My rebus today is a novel and author. (It sounds like it might make your hair curl  :o)

7 (#6 + #1)

Please use the first name of the gent in picture one and the last letter of either in picture two.

#7 #2 #4

Please use the last two letters of picture two.  You need to lose the first two letters of picture three (of five) and then replace them with a letter nearer the end of the alphabet.  One homophone and it's straightforward.

Snooze Alarms: When you rearrange the letters: Alas No More Z's
A Decimal Point: When you rearrange the letters: I'm a Dot in Place
Eleven plus two: When you rearrange the letters: Twelve plus one

Try not to miss me too much  >:D  :laugh:

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11446 on: August 30, 2024, 02:16:39 AM »
It's a beautiful sunny day here.
My rebus today is a novel and author. (It sounds like it might make your hair curl  :o)
7 (#6 + #1)

Hi Pen,

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day here too.  Today is predicted to be 28oC and tomorrow 31.  Not bad for the last two days of winter - eh!

I've been scouring the internet to see if Jason Day had an identical twin called Justin.  So far no luck.  I am working on a theory that he may have changed his name to Rose by deed poll.  >:D

Ruby joined Bonnie on her walk yesterday and I've got a couple of pictures.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: August 30, 2024, 04:27:35 AM »

Please use the first name of the gent in picture one

I've been scouring the internet to see if Jason Day had an identical twin called Justin.  So far no luck.  I am working on a theory that he may have changed his name to Rose by deed poll.  >:D

Ruby joined Bonnie on her walk yesterday and I've got a couple of pictures.

Oh Jack I'm feeling a proper charlie  :-[  :-[   What an idiot.  So sorry.  Jason definitely hasn't got an identical twin called Justin  :-R
Got the two golfers confused - heaven knows how.  Should have used Mr Rose or the pm of Canada instead!

Great pictures of Ruby  :) and Pickles was very funny (as usual)  :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 04:32:27 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: September 03, 2024, 04:24:46 AM »
Hi Jack.

I'm home and had a smashing weekend :)  I'm a bit knacked this evening (must be all the walking  :laugh:).  I'll do a proper post tomorrow.

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: September 03, 2024, 08:16:02 PM »
I'm Back Jack!

Saturday was a beautiful warm sunny day.  We went to three villages to look for well dressings.  Elmer, Foolow and Eyam.  This is how Ms Google sums it up!
Well dressing is an ancient custom in rural areas in England of adorning local wells with floral decorations usually as part of a religious service in thanksgiving for an abundant supply of pure water
Before heading into Eyam we climbed up a very high hill.  It was very windy (picture attached I hope!) and the views were spectacular.

Eyam is known as the plague village. 
Immerse yourself in the incredible story of its unselfish villagers, who sealed themselves off from the outside world in the 17th century to prevent the deadly disease from spreading to neighbouring communities

After we'd enjoyed home made cake and tea in the village hall we had the unexpected pleasure of a carnival.  The floats and characters were brilliant and rounded the day off a treat.

Sunday was a bit drizzly.  We visited Buxton Pavillion which is where we used to start the Buxton run.  Sadly it disappeared which is a shame as it was great fun and very well attended.  David thinks the people who now run the pavillion didn't want the old motor bikes there.  He's going to see what can be done about getting it started up again perhaps from a different starting point.  It's a pity as the pavillion and gardens are lovely.

I'm going to attempt to add a couple of pictures.  I'm off to the barbers after lunch  :laugh:  Desperately in need of a hair cut!

Sorry failed with the pictures  :(  Perhaps I could e-mail them to you and see if you can succeed where I failed?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 08:21:29 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: September 04, 2024, 01:56:22 AM »
Hi Pen,

I’m glad you had such a great time. It sounds like a lovely area. You’ve got me intrigued by the Buxton Run - was it walk, run, or motor bike?

I must get back to sleep now but email me the pictures and I will see what I  can do after breakfast.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: September 04, 2024, 04:29:55 AM »
Hi Again Jack.

The Buxton Run was motorbikes.  I don't think I could run for a bus now  >:D  :laugh:

Thanks I'll e-mail the pictures now.  They're not brilliant but better than nothing!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 01:35:03 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: September 04, 2024, 07:54:17 PM »
Thanks Jack.  I look like a windswept scarecrow but it does show the beautiful scenery!  The well dressings were beautiful.  It must take a lot of work to make them look that great.

I'm a lady wot lunches today!  I'm meeting Gill in Stoke Bruerne for lunch in the Boat Inn.  It's a lovely pub next to the canal.

A fairly easy rebus from me to get back into the swing.  It's a character from a book. (just for a change  :laugh:)

7 (#2 + #3 + #2) 8 (#4 + #4)

Please lose the last letter of the bird and change the first letter to one nearer the middle of the alphabet.  Picture three you might not have a drink until the sun's over this (seven letters)  >:D You need two consecutive letters from the middle.  Surname of golfer in picture five and drop the last letter.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.
A bonus point for the author and a super bonus point if you can tell me who he was named after!

Time I wasn't here!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 07:56:04 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: September 05, 2024, 09:22:02 AM »
I look like a windswept scarecrow but it does show the beautiful scenery!
I'm a lady wot lunches today!  I'm meeting Gill in Stoke Bruerne for lunch in the Boat Inn. 
A fairly easy rebus from me to get back into the swing.  It's a character from a book. (just for a change  :laugh:)

Hi Pen,

You’re both looking fit in the picture.  David looks like he does a lot of walking too.

That was a honey of a rebus.  I think I have solved it and went waltzing around the lounge room singing about a West London prison to celebrate.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: September 06, 2024, 12:33:17 AM »

You’re both looking fit in the picture.  David looks like he does a lot of walking too.

That was a honey of a rebus.  I think I have solved it and went waltzing around the lounge room singing about a West London prison to celebrate.

Hi Jack

It's a bit wild and windy here!  I did venture out for a quick walk but it wasn't very enjoyable as it was spitting in the wind.  I turned out of the close and as I set off up the path a branch blew out of a tree.  Ten seconds later and it would have landed on my head.  Might have knocked some sense into me!  Saves me punching myself in the face like Earl  :laugh:

David is as fit as the proverbial butchers dog!  He's ten years older than me but has bags of energy and is a lot fitter!  He never sits still for more than five minutes!

I loved your answers to my rebus  :)  Took me a while to twig on - especially the prison!  Did you get the super bonus point as well and I missed the clue to your answer?

My puzzle today is a novel published during the reign of Queen Victoria.

#3 #4 #3 7 (#3 + #4) #5

Please lose the last letter of picture one.  You need to ignore the Orient Express and people in picture two and lose the first four letters of what's remaining.  Please swap the middle two letters of what you're left with. Ignore the gent in picture three and use the first three letters of what's left.  Please reverse picture four and lose the last letter of picture five.  Past tense for picture six and make a homophone (ish!).  We're all on one line.

Three women are in the changing rooms at the squash club getting ready to play a game. Suddenly a man runs through the room wearing nothing but a bag over his head.
He passes the first woman, who looks down at his penis. "He's not my husband," she says.
He runs past the second woman, who also looks down at his penis. "No! he's not my husband either."
He passes the third woman, who also looks down as he runs by.
"Hold on a minute," she says. "He's not even a member of this club."

Leave you with a very naff joke  ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11456 on: September 06, 2024, 03:49:02 PM »
Did you get the super bonus point as well and I missed the clue to your answer?
A bonus point for the author and a super bonus point if you can tell me who he was named after!
Hi Pen,

I beg a thousand pardons.  I was so pleased with myself for solving the puzzle, I overlooked the next sentence.    I can’t  think of a way of a way of disguising the Author’s name but I think you can trust me on that one,  He was named after this man who disappointed an Englishman early in the Twentieth Century.

Your latest rebus was equally challenging.   It is described in the literature as a classic but from the Blurb it doesn’t sound like something I would read. On the other hand, four adaptations have been made into films that have also been praised, so the story must have something going for it.

I have been a bit distracted in the last month by a family challenge from my daughter to learn a second language.  She bought a family subscription to software which allows us to compete against each other even though we have chosen different languages.  I opted for German because of a (very) little previous knowledge, June went for French, and the Cleveland mob have Spanish and Greek covered.  If you want to see more, go to duolingo.com.  It is so addictive I haven’t found time for 7-by-many in the last two days.

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: September 06, 2024, 06:43:12 PM »
I turned out of the close and as I set off up the path a branch blew out of a tree.  Ten seconds later and it would have landed on my head.  Might have knocked some sense into me!

Surely not, Pen!!  Thank goodness you weren't ten seconds earlier then.  Bit like me when at the garden centre and a shed door blew open seconds from slamming me in the face. 

Lovely sunny day today and am heading out to Kendal soon to stock up on scotch eggs!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: September 06, 2024, 10:28:33 PM »

Surely not, Pen!!  Thank goodness you weren't ten seconds earlier then.  Bit like me when at the garden centre and a shed door blew open seconds from slamming me in the face. 

Lovely sunny day today and am heading out to Kendal soon to stock up on scotch eggs!  >:D

Bloody Norah Linda that would have been awful and very painful  :cry:  Perhaps somebody is watching over us?  :angel: The branch is still lying across the path!

It's very warm and rather muggy here.  My washing not moving about much on the line but hopefully the sun will dry it.

Damn! I wish I'd have though about scotch eggs  :laugh: I was in M&S on Thursday and didn't go past the right shelf.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11459 on: September 06, 2024, 11:34:25 PM »

I can’t  think of a way of a way of disguising the Author’s name but I think you can trust me on that one,  He was named after this man who disappointed an Englishman early in the Twentieth Century.

Your latest rebus was equally challenging.   It is described in the literature as a classic but from the Blurb it doesn’t sound like something I would read. On the other hand, four adaptations have been made into films that have also been praised, so the story must have something going for it.

I have been a bit distracted in the last month by a family challenge from my daughter to learn a second language.  She bought a family subscription to software which allows us to compete against each other even though we have chosen different languages.  I opted for German because of a (very) little previous knowledge, June went for French, and the Cleveland mob have Spanish and Greek covered.  If you want to see more, go to duolingo.com. 

Hi Jack

I trust you 110% of course and you are spot on with your picture  :)

I have to admit that I haven't read the book which was the subject of my last rebus.  I did see the film with Julie Christie and Terence Stamp when I was nowt but a whippersnapper  :laugh:  My vivid memory is of the sheep falling over the cliff.  Very sad.  I've just realised I was very remiss yesterday and forgot to offer you any bonus points.  It took me quite a while to put it together and I needed to go out so ran out of time.
Today's offering is a character from a 19th century novel. 

6 (#3 + #3) 8 (#4 + #4)

You need the middle three letters of picture one and the first three letters of the surname of the gent in picture two.  It's nice and straightforward.  A bonus point for the novel and author (that'll challenge you  :laugh:  >:D) and a super bonus point if you can tell me the occupation of the author's father.

I think you're very brave tackling German!  I remember doing it for two years at school and it's a tricky language to learn.  Kudos to you  :)