Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 866518 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11430 on: August 25, 2024, 04:31:13 AM »

I can't make head nor tail of this clue but I don't think it matters because I think it is surplus to requirements and therefore I don't have to worry about satisfying the status quo.   Apart from that little problem, I think I solved it.

Sorry Jack I have to get my jollies where I can  :laugh:  >:D

As far as picture one is concerned think about a few numbers.  737 or 747 for example.

Double Pickles today - thanks  :laugh:

Going to give the little grey cell a small workout and then find a film to watch with some rather good Sauv Blanc from your neighbours over the way  ;)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: August 25, 2024, 06:36:36 AM »
Hi Pen,

I knew it was a B787-8 and who made it.  That didn't help.

Obviously I got the rest of it wrong too or you would have conceded the two bonus points.

Or were you fishing for an extra Pickles.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 02:39:04 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11432 on: August 25, 2024, 02:22:06 PM »
From Jack:
  I note there has been a move to blame the mining in the area.

All the best for getting your situation back to normal and let us know from time to time how it is going.
From Pen:   
That's very scary Yvonne - I'm thinking of you. Love and a big hug

Yes, local people often blame the mines and the explosives they use for the slight tremors we get from time to time, but since the epicentre of this one was several kilometres deep I think it's daft to try and pin it on them.

I will give you occasional updates, but I don't want to bore everyone's pants off.

Thank you both for your concern and good wishes. 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: August 25, 2024, 09:14:56 PM »

I knew it was a B787-8 and who made it.  That didn't help.

Obviously I got the rest of it wrong too or you would have conceded the two bonus points.

Or were you fishing for an extra Pickles.

Hi Jack

Sorry I should have confirmed that you earned the two bonus points as you were bang on the money.  I was thinking of Boeing.  Lose the e and change the B to a G. It seemed like a good idea at the time  :-R

There's no such thing as too many Pickles  :laugh:

Hopefully you'll find today's offering a bit more palatable!  It's a character from a novel.

11 (#4 + #2 + #5) #4

Please change the first letter of picture one and just use the last two letters of picture two. Please also change the first letter of picture three to one nearer the beginning of the alphabet. The gent in picture four is Mr Sibelius.  You need his nationality.   Please lose the last three letters and we're all on one line.  You can substitute the gent below for the composer if it helps.

A bonus point for the name of the novel and an extra one for the author.

Time for lunch and a cuppa  :-H

« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 09:19:30 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: August 25, 2024, 09:22:37 PM »

I will give you occasional updates, but I don't want to bore everyone's pants off.

Please do keep us updated Yvonne.  We'll be thinking of you  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: August 26, 2024, 01:26:05 AM »
Hopefully you'll find today's offering a bit more palatable!  It's a character from a novel.
A bonus point for the name of the novel and an extra one for the author.

Hi Pen,

The initials of your author’s real name is SLC.  The initials of the pen name he wrote under was a homophone of ‘empty’.

Your character featured in  four books and I guess the one you are looking for is the one in which he is the narrator and he is the eponymous Character. He was the narrator in another of the novels.

Your Character is one of the Author’s most enduring characters. He first appears in the novel about his friend but it is in the novel about him where he takes center stage as the protagonist and narrator. He is depicted as a young boy who comes from the lower levels of white society. His father is the town drunkard of St. Petersburg, Missouri, and he is often homeless, left to his own devices and wits to survive.

He’s known for his good nature, his scepticism of the values of the society around him, and his desire for freedom. His moral compass and inner conflict become central themes in this as he grapples with the societal expectations and his personal beliefs. This conflict, and his ultimate decision to help a slave is a significant moment in American literature, showcasing the author’s criticism of the institution of slavery and the moral shortcomings of society.

His adventures continue in two other novels where he remains a symbol of the American frontier spirit, embodying the themes of independence, self-reliance, and the questioning of societal norms. His character has been analysed and interpreted in countless ways over the years, and he remains a subject of study in schools and universities for his role in American culture and literature. His voice, characterized by its unique vernacular and perspective, has influenced the writing style of many authors and is considered a masterpiece of American fiction.

So well done, you.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 01:31:26 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: August 26, 2024, 04:18:45 AM »

The initials of your author’s real name is SLC.  The initials of the pen name he wrote under was a homophone of ‘empty’.

Your character featured in  four books and I guess the one you are looking for is the one in which he is the narrator and he is the eponymous Character. He was the narrator in another of the novels.

So well done, you.

Thank you kind Sir  :)

Happy to award two bonus points and an extra point for all the additional information!

No work tomorrow as it's Bank Hol  :)  I can stay up late, enjoy a small glass of wine and watch a film  >:D

Pickles properly tickled me  :laugh:

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: August 26, 2024, 09:34:16 PM »
G'day Jack

I'm enjoying a lovely lazy day.  Been for a walk and looking forward to my ham and tomato cheesy topped roll for lunch.  With a cuppa of course.

I'm sticking with the theme today.  Another literary character for you.

6 (#4 + #2) 6 (#3 + #3)

Please use the first three letters (of eight) from picture four.  One homophone and we're all on one line.
Two bonus points up for grabs.  Please name the book where you'd find this person and the author.

I was called into my manager’s office at work the other day because of my dress code.
She said, “You can’t wear pyjamas to work.”
I said, “Why not? Everyone else does.”
She said, “That’s because they’re patients.”

Leave you with a naff joke  ;D  The kettle wont fill itself!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 09:41:23 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: August 27, 2024, 03:01:22 PM »
I'm sticking with the theme today.  Another literary character for you.
Two bonus points up for grabs.  Please name the book where you'd find this person and the author.

Hi Pen,

What the Dickens were you thinking of.  Yesterday a lovable lad that I could empathise with.  Today a complete twist. 

He is the cruel, pompous beadle of a poorhouse. He characterises the meddlesome self-importance of a petty bureaucrat.

He is married to a tyrannical woman who completely dominates him. In response to learning that a husband bears legal responsibility for his wife’s actions, he utters the celebrated line “If the law supposes that—the law is a ass.”   The good news is that he and his wife become paupers in the same poorhouse where they once inflicted such damage and unhappiness.

The weather has taken a turn for the better here.  This week we are even getting into the upper twenties and yesterday I had my first dip of the season in the pool.  The water was 23.7oC.  It still felt chilly until I had done a few laps to warm up.

On the negative side, the dog walkers spotted the first two snakes of the season.  So I guess I better make sure the hopstop cans are ready.  If the snakes are coming out of hibernation, the cane toads won't be far behind.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 03:08:55 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: August 27, 2024, 08:40:35 PM »

What the Dickens were you thinking of.  Yesterday a lovable lad that I could empathise with.  Today a complete twist. 

The weather has taken a turn for the better here.  This week we are even getting into the upper twenties and yesterday I had my first dip of the season in the pool.  The water was 23.7oC.  It still felt chilly until I had done a few laps to warm up.

On the negative side, the dog walkers spotted the first two snakes of the season.  So I guess I better make sure the hopstop cans are ready.  If the snakes are coming out of hibernation, the cane toads won't be far behind.

Hi Jack

Back to work this morning - it feels like a Monday  :(

How lovely to enjoy a swim in the pool  :)  Not so lovely that the cane toads will soon be putting in an appearance  >:(

I am hoping you will find today's offering a bit more agreeable  :angel:  It's a novel and a character.

#3 #6 6 (#3 + #3)

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one.  You need to lose the first three letters of picture four please and it's straightforward.

#4 #6

Present tense for picture one and please bung an extra letter into the tree in picture two.
It's a bit easy peasy but I'll still offer a couple of bonus points.  One for the book and one for the author.

I've only got to work today and tomorrow and then I've got two weeks off hurrah  :laugh:  I'm off to cousin David's on Friday for three nights  :)  The weather's looking good and I'm really looking forward to it.  Roll on lunchtime  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: August 27, 2024, 11:11:50 PM »
I am hoping you will find today's offering a bit more agreeable  :angel:  It's a novel and a character.
It's a bit easy peasy but I'll still offer a couple of bonus points.  One for the book and one for the author.
I've only got to work today and tomorrow and then I've got two weeks off hurrah  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

I found your your rebus yesterday most agreeable even though it featured a nasty character.  Nobody could fault the character of the current rebus.  Whenever I think of her, I imagine how different she is from her namesake, Tarzan's partner.

I have a couple of quotes for you to consider while you are swanning around the Peak District on the back of a motor cycle.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: August 28, 2024, 04:24:08 AM »
quote =she who hates to concede a bonus point of Bletchley

I found your your rebus yesterday most agreeable even though it featured a nasty character.  Nobody could fault the character of the current rebus.  Whenever I think of her, I imagine how different she is from her namesake, Tarzan's partner.

I have a couple of quotes for you to consider while you are swanning around the Peak District on the back of a motor cycle.

Oh Jack you're making me sound like another Dickens character  >:D

I thought I'd been throwing the bonus points around like confetti  :laugh:

I'm very happy to award you the two bonus points for today's puzzle and an extra one for the quotes  :)

Been a buzy old day and I'm going to conk out in front of the box  :-Y

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: August 28, 2024, 08:42:01 PM »
Hi Jack

Another hectic day.  Looking forward to my two weeks off now  :)

I'm going to make a start on a rebus and, hopefully, finish by lunchtime.  Fingers crossed.

It's yet another literary character - are you bored with them yet?  :laugh:

7 (#5 + #2) #5

Please lose the first and last letters of picture one.  You need two consecutive letters from the middle of picture two and change the first letter of picture three to something nearer the beginning of the alphabet.  It's straightforward.  I'll offer a bonus point for the character and and the book.  & a super bonus point for the actor who portrayed the character in a film. 
Please don't say I'm not over generous with my bonus points  :laugh:

That's it from me - not long til lunch  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: August 28, 2024, 10:08:30 PM »
It's yet another literary character - are you bored with them yet?  :laugh:
Please don't say I'm not over generous with my bonus points  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

I'm never bored when you present such good chararacters so expertly.

You are generous with offering the bonus points.  My beef was that one time I knocked myself out disguising the answers  so they wouldn't be a spoiler to those still trying to solve the puzzle and you didn;t comment whether I was succussful.  So i didn't know whether I got the answers wrong  or I was too obscure with my hints. I was pulling your leg - I wasn't serious.

I understand your book today was rebranded in Mexico as "Tequila mimicing bird".  The bird couldn't have been a finch because they don't peck hard enough.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: August 28, 2024, 11:16:54 PM »

I'm never bored when you present such good chararacters so expertly.

You are generous with offering the bonus points.  My beef was that one time I knocked myself out disguising the answers  so they wouldn't be a spoiler to those still trying to solve the puzzle and you didn;t comment whether I was succussful.  So i didn't know whether I got the answers wrong  or I was too obscure with my hints. I was pulling your leg - I wasn't serious.

I understand your book today was rebranded in Mexico as "Tequila mimicing bird".  The bird couldn't have been a finch because they don't peck hard enough.

Thanks Jack  :-*  I'll take the compliment.

Sorry, it was remiss of me not to comment on your answers.  Your hints the other day and today are brilliant - spot on.  Clever and witty  :)

Not to self - be more alert in future  :laugh: