Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 866830 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11385 on: August 12, 2024, 06:05:20 PM »
There are a couple of Cumberland sausage scotch eggs lurking in my fridge  ;D  I'll be enjoying one later with some salad.  I'll send the other one up to you  :laugh:

Just being provocative now, Pen!  I do hope you enjoyed your scotch egg and salad - I didn't see the one you sent up to me, probably lost in transit!!  >:D

Not sure about the weather today.  It rained overnight (plants were happy as I didn't water them, again) and is cloudy, sunny and warm here at the moment.  hoping it's going to be pleasant but not over hot today. 

Back to work tomorrow afternoon.  Hubby now hobbling around quite well so is safe to be left alone for four hours!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: August 12, 2024, 09:46:49 PM »
Hi Pen,

Ruby is back at home and ruling the roost again.  I have pictures of all the pups but they are pretty standard.  i wiil dribble them out in due course.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: August 12, 2024, 10:14:57 PM »

Just being provocative now, Pen!  I do hope you enjoyed your scotch egg and salad - I didn't see the one you sent up to me, probably lost in transit!!  >:D

Not sure about the weather today.  It rained overnight (plants were happy as I didn't water them, again) and is cloudy, sunny and warm here at the moment.  hoping it's going to be pleasant but not over hot today. 

Back to work tomorrow afternoon.  Hubby now hobbling around quite well so is safe to be left alone for four hours!  >:D

Provocative? Moi??  Perish the thought Linda  :laugh:

I did enjoy my salad. Your scotch egg is probably clutched in the sweaty little hands of Royal Mail!

Just poked my head outside.  It's boiling here.  31oc according to my phone.  I dread to think what my car will  be like by 4.30.  Mobile sauna?  :(

Pleased to hear that hubby's managing to hobble about  :)  I'm sure he'll be fine for a few hours on his own.  He might even enjoy the peace and quite  >:D  :laugh: 
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: August 12, 2024, 10:58:28 PM »

As promised here are some spoilers for your last rebus. I wasn’t sure which one to use.  Ignore the buses in each.  They are just there to suggest the location.  Don’t be a Coward, have a go at the rebus before you look at the spoiler. >:D

Ruby is back at home and ruling the roost again.  I have pictures of all the pups but they are pretty standard.  i wiil dribble them out in due course.

Hi Jack

I'm having a very busy Monday and it's far too hot. 

I loved your spoilers and hint  ;)  Perfect!

Ruby looks happy and relaxed - back to her normal cheeky self!  Be lovely to see some more pictures of the pups :)

My post is just like me

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: August 12, 2024, 11:44:14 PM »
Pleased to hear that hubby's managing to hobble about  :)  I'm sure he'll be fine for a few hours on his own.  He might even enjoy the peace and quite  >:D  :laugh:

Are you implying that I might not contribute towards his peace and quiet, Pen?  I creep around the house like a mouse in slippers!  He's sat listening to Bob Dylan at the moment.  I may have to leave the room!!  I do like some Dylan very much but not everything as he does tend to drone on a bit.  I might retaliate with a burst of Thin Lizzy!

It's very hot here as well but overcast.  Thought we were going to get a thunderstorm earlier but it came to nowt.  Hope you don't get roasted on the way home.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: August 13, 2024, 01:02:25 AM »

Are you implying that I might not contribute towards his peace and quiet, Pen?  I creep around the house like a mouse in slippers!  He's sat listening to Bob Dylan at the moment.  I may have to leave the room!!  I do like some Dylan very much but not everything as he does tend to drone on a bit.  I might retaliate with a burst of Thin Lizzy!

It's very hot here as well but overcast.  Thought we were going to get a thunderstorm earlier but it came to nowt.  Hope you don't get roasted on the way home.  >:D

I wouldn't dare imply anything of the sort Linda  :angel:  I know what you mean about Dylan.  I always think less is definitely more!  You can't beat a blast of Thin Lizzy!

Only half an hour until I'm fried alive  :(

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 11:18:20 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: August 14, 2024, 12:36:39 AM »
Here are the pictures of Ruby's pups -  some managed to get in twice

Hi Jack

Another very busy day here.  Loved the pictures of Ruby's pups  :)

I'm going to start a rebus but heaven knows if I'll get to the end of it.  Fingers crossed - here goes nothing!  It's a song I loved when I was at school.

#1 #4 #3 8 (#4 + #4)

Please re-arrange the letters of picture two.  Present tense for picture four and lose the last two letters.  Please use the surname of picture five and two homophones.  we're all on one line.

Nearly home time hurrah  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 07:58:23 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: August 15, 2024, 12:16:27 AM »
Hi Jack

I am exceedingly glad it's Thursday tomorrow.  Feeling a little bit knacked  :-Y  I haven't been sleeping very well this week as it's too hot   :(

my puzzle today is a book I came across by accident.  It's by a gent who was born in Zimbabwe and lives in Scotland.

#3 #5 #6 #2 #7 #4

You need three consecutive letters from picture one.  Any one in picture two, apart from the waiter, and please change the first letter to a few letters further down the alphabet.  Please reverse the first two letters of picture four.  Any one of picture five and change the first letter of picture six to one nearer the beginning of the alphabet. Please pretend it's all on one line.  A bonus point if you can name the author.
Hopefully, no errors today.  I turned the light off last night and realised I'd made a cock up on my rebus yesterday and had to put it right  :-R

One hour and counting  :-C
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 01:26:20 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: August 15, 2024, 03:03:23 AM »
I haven't been sleeping very well this week as it's too hot   :(
Hopefully, no errors today.  I turned the light off last night and realised I'd made a cock up on my rebus yesterday and had to put it right  :-R

Hi Pen,

I am having a sleepless ten minutes too.

I got your rebus las night before you made the correction and wasn.t at all offended that the singer told me I couldn't come in.  Although I worked out the answer from the rest of the puzzle I never worked out how picture 4 gave the homophone it did.

I coulldn't find any fault with tonight's rebus. It was very clever and well presented. In this book, the hero is mistaken for a veterinarian and, rather than correcting the error, he decides to practice veterinary medicine without a license.

I can claim the bonus point. After all, how many Scottish Professors of Medical Law, that are also an author who has now written over fifty books on a wide range of subjects, are there?
Here is your reward for a job well done.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: August 15, 2024, 04:08:42 AM »

I am having a sleepless ten minutes too.

I coulldn't find any fault with tonight's rebus. It was very clever and well presented. In this book, the hero is mistaken for a veterinarian and, rather than correcting the error, he decides to practice veterinary medicine without a license.

I can claim the bonus point. After all, how many Scottish Professors of Medical Law, that are also an author who has now written over fifty books on a wide range of subjects, are there?
Here is your reward for a job well done.

I'm back Jack

Thanks for the reward  :laugh: and I was pleased to hear that today's effort was faultless!  Happy to award you the bonus point   ;)

I hope you were only sleepless for 10 minutes  :-Z

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: August 16, 2024, 11:28:31 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a very warm and sunny day here today.  I think even you would enjoy it.  Zoe finished work early and came over for lunch.  We're both going to enjoy a massage this afternoon  :)

A quick rebus from me today.  It's an episode of a programme beloved of Linda and myself  >:D

#3 8 (#4 + #4) #2 #7 #5

Please use three consecutive letters from the name of the lady in picture one.  You need to change the first letter of the first name of the gent in picture two to something nearer the middle of the alphabet. Present tense for picture three and lose the first letter.  Please lose the first letter of picture four and pretend it's all on one line.

That's all from me.  My turn now!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 11:30:42 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: August 17, 2024, 12:51:31 AM »
Hi Pen,

Another great Rebus.

It was the of the series.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: August 18, 2024, 09:35:35 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a lovely morning.  Not too hot thankfully and I've been for my constitutional!

My offering today is an LP from the 1970's (I like that better than album  :laugh:)

9 (#5 + #4) 2 #7

Please change the first letter of picture three to one nearer the beginning of the alphabet.  Pictures one and four will give you the third word - you need to think a bit laterally!  Position is vitally important.

By

10 (#3 + #2 + #5)

You need the character on the left in picture three.  One homophone and it's straightforward.

Peter starts his new job at London Zoo and is given three tasks.  First is to clear the exotic fish pool of weeds.  As he does this, a huge fish jumps out and bites him. To show who the is boss, Peter beats it to death with a spade.  Realising his employer won’t be best pleased; he disposes of the fish by feeding it to the lions, as lions will eat anything.

Moving on to the second job of clearing out the chimp house, Peter is attacked by the chimps that pelt him with coconuts.  He swipes at two chimps with a spade killing them both.  What can he do?
'Feed them to the lions', Peter says to himself because lions eat anything.  He hurls the bodies into the lion enclosure.

Peter moves on to the last job which is to collect honey from the South American Bees. As soon as he starts, he is attacked by the bees. He grabs the spade and smashes the bees to a pulp. By now he knows what to do and throws them into the lion’s cage because lions eat anything.

Later that day a new lion arrives at the zoo. He wanders up to another lion and says, ‘What’s the food like here?’
The lion replies, ‘Absolutely brilliant!….. Today we had fish and chimps with mushy bees.’

That's it from me.  I've got an egg and tomato sarnie with my name on it and I need to get the kettle on  :-H

« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 09:38:57 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: August 19, 2024, 01:58:58 PM »
My offering today is an LP from the 1970's (I like that better than album  :laugh:)

Hi Pen,

I had a peaceful weekend.  The weather here is improving and days are warming up to the mid twenties.

I was thinking about your rebus and the answer to it triggered some random thoughts.   

How far is it from John O' Groats to Lands End.  I wonder who the first person was to do it on foot or using a bicycle.  The concept cannot be compared directly to your puzzle because of the different geographical make-up of the countries either side of the ditch.

The Terms United Kingdom, Britain and England are used interchangeably to describe the polity, geography and history of the British Isles.  At a glance, they may look the same, but all three terms have fundamental differences among themselves.  The United Kingdom is used to describe the political unit consisting of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  Great Britain (GB) is the geographical term referring to the island simply known as Britain.  England is one of the countries that make up the British Isles.

On the other hand, America is two continents.  USA is a country in North America made up of 50 states which is why it is called the United States. Some people call the USA “America” which annoys everyone outside of the USA that lives in the Americas.

What are the cultural differences between GB and the USA? One is the question of what is considered a good breakfast. There are some distinct differences, reflecting each country’s culinary traditions and preferences.

The Classic English Breakfast is the Full English: This is a hearty meal that typically includes bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, black pudding, and toast. It’s a centuries-old tradition that showcases culinary wealth.  Different parts of the GB have their own specialties, like Scottish kippers or Welsh rarebit.  British breakfasts often adapt to the weather, with warmer dishes in the winter and lighter options like strawberries and cream in the summer.

American breakfasts are more open-ended and influenced by 20th-century marketing and the proliferation of Diners. You can find a variety of items from bagels and smoothies to more filling dishes like eggs and toast and mix and match to your hearts content.  It’s common to find sweet items like pancakes, waffles, or cinnamon rolls served alongside savory dishes like bacon or eggs.  In the USA, breakfast is often customizable, especially in diners where you can mix and match items to your taste.

Both countries enjoy cooked eggs and some form of meat, but the GB breakfast is more of a set meal, while the US breakfast offers more flexibility and often includes a sweet component.

Anyway, I don’t know why I got started on all that.  All I really wanted to ask is what do I have to do to get a bonus point?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 02:02:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack