Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876989 times)

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11340 on: August 02, 2024, 09:56:33 PM »
Hello Pen,
You ARE getting there, if you’re feeling better. Testing positive just means - rest up, and plenty of fluids (😉).

Looks like it’ll be a bit cooler tomorrow so it might be a more comfortable day.

I know it’s frustrating - I got so fed up of feeling poorly when I had the flu (or Covid?) a few months ago, but you’ll get there! A positive test doesn’t mean you’re not getting better x

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11341 on: August 02, 2024, 10:40:12 PM »
Thanks Madeleine. I know what you say makes perfect sense  :) Linda & I don't have a scrap of patience between us  :laugh: The weather is definitely not helping. Hopefully it'll feel better tomorrow & me with it!!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: August 02, 2024, 10:44:27 PM »
For a bonus point one of the stars appeared in a very famous film.  Can you name it?

Hi Pen,

No, I can't because I could pick 2. 

Your were probably thinking of the star who was in Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly  and Ethel Merman in Call me Madam.  He also starred in the Francis the talking Mule series.

But my money  would have been on the one who won he Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performances in Come and Get It (1936), Kentucky (1938) and The Westerner (1940), making him one of only three male actors to win three Academy Awards, and the only male or female actor to win three awards in the supporting actor category.  He was great in movies like  Sergeant York (1941). Other noteworthy performances were in To Have and Have Not (1944), My Darling Clementine (1946), Red River (1948) and Rio Bravo (1959).  In private life he was a pig of a man but that's another story.

I am sorry to hear your Covid is hanging on when, no doubt, you are so keen to get back to work. :D

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: August 03, 2024, 04:12:37 AM »

No, I can't because I could pick 2. 

Your were probably thinking of the star who was in Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly  and Ethel Merman in Call me Madam.  He also starred in the Francis the talking Mule series.

I am sorry to hear your Covid is hanging on when, no doubt, you are so keen to get back to work. :D

You were right the first time!  I was thinking of Singing in the Rain as it popped into my head :)  I didn't do my homework properly and I hadn't realised how many films he'd starred in let alone winning all those Academy Awards. 

I would love the Covid to bugger off and to get back to work.  I just want to feel normal (as Linda would say whatever that is  :laugh:) again!  I'm fed up with my own company now!

I've got a bottle of pink muck in the fridge and going to enjoy it (hopefully) with McDonald and Dodds a bit later.  Hope they haven't spoilt it too much.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: August 03, 2024, 06:50:44 PM »
Bit cooler up here this morning Pen but the sun is peeking out from the clouds as I speak so who knows what this afternoon will be like.

How are you feeling today?  Any improvement?  Hope the pink plonk is doing its stuff.

No scotch eggs for me yesterday or today but they are on my next shopping list. 

Will wait with bated breath (whatever that is) for the next new Midsomer mainly so that I can check out whether John's succumbed to the lure of Just for Men and whether Betty can utter a word or two!

Whilst typing this the sun is winning over the clouds so hope it's not going to be another hot and humid day.  Roll on a massive thunderstorm but then you'd be under the stairs or wherever it is you hide so maybe just a nice downpour would suffice! >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: August 03, 2024, 08:38:07 PM »
Definitely a bit cooler here today Linda.  Like you the sun is peeking out from behind the clouds here as we speak but I'm hoping it's not going to get too hot and humid.  My towels are blowing nicely on the line.

I am feeling better thanks, but just can't seem to shake it off.  Still coughing and feel like I still have a bit of a cold.  Hard to explain but I don't feel like myself.  The pink plonk is definitely helping  >:D

I hope you locate some decent scotch eggs on your next shopping trip  :)  Tuna sarnie for me today.  No spring onions so I bunged a bit of red onion in for good measure.  I'm coming to the conclusion that buying red onions now is a waste of time as they're just as hot as white ones.  Once upon a time they were much milder and more palatable raw.

My breath is also baited waiting for the next Midsomer.  I'm hoping that John will find some Just for Men in the bathroom cabinet and Betty will learn to speak  >:D  :laugh: There's one more episode to come in series 23 - Dressed to Kill.  We need to keep an eye open.

I'm not fancying hiding under the stairs today so lets just hope for a downpour!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: August 03, 2024, 11:03:21 PM »
G'day Jack

Linda and I are hoping for a cooler, more comfortable day today  :)

My puzzle today is a railway I would love to travel on!

7 (#6 + #1) #5

You just need the initial of the game in picture two.

from
8 (#3 + #5) to 8 (#3 + #5)

TO
Please use the first three letters of the surname of the gent in picture one. You just need a general term for picture three.
Both are just on one line.

God gave men a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Robin Williams (1951-2014)

The old ones are the best  ;D  Need to get the kettle on.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 01:35:17 AM by Hobbit »

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11347 on: August 04, 2024, 02:18:27 PM »

Hi Pen

I lived for two years in T****a, the next stop on the regular commuter railway line from the starting point of the steam railway line you are referring to. Weekends were punctuated by the haunting sound of the engine's whistle. And yes, I did once take a ride on the train in question.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: August 04, 2024, 09:36:39 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

Does this bring back memories?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 03:51:56 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: August 04, 2024, 09:51:22 PM »
God gave men a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Hi Pen,

I have never been on the train but June has.  The best I did was to drive along the route to pick her up when she got to the other end.  We lived in Melbourne for 3 years in the 90's.  You shouldn't be envious. You are spoilt for choice with similar facilities in Britain.

When you get to my age, you’re lucky to get enough blood supply to run either.  >:D

We've got the solar panels on the roof but it could be up to 5 weeks before we get the meters fixed to allow us to feed our extra power back to the grid. At least we won't be drawing power from the grid in Daylight hours on most days.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 04:01:04 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11350 on: August 04, 2024, 10:45:40 PM »

I have never been on the train but June has.  The best I did was to drive along the route to pick her up when she got to the other end  We lived in Melbourne for 3 years in the 90's.  You shouldn't be envious. You are spoilt for choice with similar facilities in Britain.

When you get to my age, you don't get enough blood supply to run either.  >:D

We've got the solar panels on the roof but it could be up to 5 week before we get the metres fixed to allow us to feed our extra power back ito the grid. At Least we won't be drawing power from the grid in Daylight hours on most days.

Hi Jack

I'm still laughing at your post - hilarious  :laugh:

I know you're right and I've enjoyed a ride on a few of them.  As you know I love steam trains.  I'd give anything for a ride on the Flying Scotsman!  A few years ago, after it had a refit, a trainspotter drove quite a long way and waited about an hour and a half to see it.  This was the view he got.

Virgin did give him a trip to American as compensation  :)

I'm pleased to hear your solar panels are all up and running.  Lets hope it's not too long before you get the meters sorted out.

I feel like I've taken a bit of a backward step today.  Feeling a bit out of sorts.  Got a rotten headache and feel tired.  I can't even blame the pink muck as I only had two glasses  >:D  Hoping it's a small dip and I feel much better tomorrow.

I forgot to say I love the picture you posted for Yvonne.  Is that near the railway?

I'm going to have 40 winks  :-Y

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: August 04, 2024, 11:16:12 PM »
I feel like I've taken a bit of a backward step today.  Feeling a bit out of sorts.  Got a rotten headache and feel tired.  I can't even blame the pink muck as I only had two glasses  >:D  Hoping it's a small dip and I feel much better tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you're still not on top form, Pen.  Perhaps 3 glasses of pink muck would do the trick?!  Hope tomorrow sees you feeling much better.

I've probably mentioned this, but we live very close to the Carlisle-Settle railway line and we often get steam trains stopping at the station to do whatever they do - something to do with water I think.  Loads of train spotters with their cameras on tripods lining the route.  If we ever sell this house I think it should go in Trainspotters Weekly (is there such a thing?) and we'd get lots of offers from anoraks!!  We can walk to the station in a matter of seconds and quite often use the train to go down to Leeds to see number one son.  Very pretty journey but the train stops at every single station along the line and as you know, I'm not renowned for my patience!

Lot cooler here today.  No sun as such and it rained during the night which is a good thing as guess what I forgot to do yesterday evening!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11352 on: August 05, 2024, 02:38:45 AM »

Sorry to hear you're still not on top form, Pen.  Perhaps 3 glasses of pink muck would do the trick?!  Hope tomorrow sees you feeling much better.

I've probably mentioned this, but we live very close to the Carlisle-Settle railway line and we often get steam trains stopping at the station to do whatever they do - something to do with water I think.  Loads of train spotters with their cameras on tripods lining the route.  If we ever sell this house I think it should go in Trainspotters Weekly (is there such a thing?) and we'd get lots of offers from anoraks!!  We can walk to the station in a matter of seconds and quite often use the train to go down to Leeds to see number one son.  Very pretty journey but the train stops at every single station along the line and as you know, I'm not renowned for my patience!

Lot cooler here today.  No sun as such and it rained during the night which is a good thing as guess what I forgot to do yesterday evening!   >:D

Thanks Linda :)  I'm hoping it's just a little blip.  Perhaps I should have increased the dose of pink muck  :laugh:

I'm sure there must be a publication called Trainspotters Weekly.  If you ever did decide to sell your house (not after all the work PLEASE!) the anoraks would be lined up outside  >:D  :laugh:

No sun here either but no rain sadly.  I can't believe you forgot to water!!  :o

Penx

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11353 on: August 05, 2024, 02:54:14 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

Does this bring back memories?

It certainly does, Jack, but now I'm totally spooked. How do you know exactly where I lived?

Is that near the railway?

About a mile from the starting point as the crow flies, Pen.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 03:04:13 PM by blackrockrose »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11354 on: August 05, 2024, 03:25:12 PM »
Hi again Yvonne,

Nothing spooky.  Back in 2018 you told RL (Nee Lisa of Upwey) and I eavesdropped. ;)

Hi again Lisa

The house we lived in now stands at the junction of Sunnyhill Road and Apsley Road (although neither road existed then) and is now 1 Apsley Road. It had been moved there in two pieces by the previous owners (although we didn't find that out until after we bought it!).

I got the photo from the latest Real Estate listing.  It looks like it has an interesting history in the last ten years and may even have been completely rebuilt.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 03:52:50 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com