Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876970 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11310 on: July 31, 2024, 10:46:56 PM »
Oh Linda you do make me laugh and cheer me up  :)

That's my aim, Pen!

Flaming roasting here now and I forgot to water the garden last night so plants aren't happy with me.  They can get a good soaking tonight and like it. 

Sorry to hear you're still testing positive but if you're feeling brighter that's a good sign. 

I'm not fearless but am inclined to say what others might not!  Not a good thing really as it does tend to get me in trouble sometimes.  Typical Aries, I've been told, if you believe that sort of tosh!  There I go again, upsetting all the astrologers on the forum!

Can't remember which Christie books I've got and they're upstairs so can't be bothered to traipse up there in this heat to find out but will let you know when I get round to them. 

Keep cool!!  8) >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: July 31, 2024, 10:58:57 PM »

That's my aim, Pen!

Flaming roasting here now and I forgot to water the garden last night so plants aren't happy with me.  They can get a good soaking tonight and like it. 

Sorry to hear you're still testing positive but if you're feeling brighter that's a good sign. 

I'm not fearless but am inclined to say what others might not!  Not a good thing really as it does tend to get me in trouble sometimes.  Typical Aries, I've been told, if you believe that sort of tosh!  There I go again, upsetting all the astrologers on the forum!

Can't remember which Christie books I've got and they're upstairs so can't be bothered to traipse up there in this heat to find out but will let you know when I get round to them. 

Keep cool!!  8) >:D

You've succeeded again Linda  :laugh:

I'm not sure if I'm a typical Scorpio.  Passionate, brave and loyal?  Well I'm very loyal but not so sure about passionate and definitely not brave  :laugh:  >:D

It's far too hot to go upstairs.  If you've got a downstairs loo you're very lucky.  I have to drag myself up into the furnace now and then.

Perhaps you can train hubby to water the plants if you forget? They'll certainly need a good soaking later.  Hopefully they'll be ok.

Try not to get too overheated  8)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: July 31, 2024, 11:16:05 PM »

I'll claim that Bonus point by telling you that I have read every one of the late Author's books that featured George Smiley, plus several others.  Not only did you present a great rebus but you picked a great subject.  I have downloaded the book from the kindle store to read when I have finished the Vera series.  I am reading book 8.

Now I know the answer to the rebus that foxed me,I can see it was a very clever rebus

Thanks Jack  :)

I was on the verge of asking why you hadn't mentioned your doctors appointment when I realised it's only Wednesday today.  The covid and the bloody ridiculous heat have addled my poor brain  :(  I've got no bright ideas for a rebus today.  I think I'll have a little poppy nap and wait for divine inspiration to strike  >:D  Well you never know!

Penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: July 31, 2024, 11:38:47 PM »
Perhaps you can train hubby to water the plants if you forget? They'll certainly need a good soaking later.  Hopefully they'll be ok.

Well he usually does the watering, to be fair, but is laid up at the moment with a badly swollen ankle and possible fractured fibula.  He fell downstairs carrying a stepladder!  Could have been worse I suppose.  Poor thing is in a fair bit of pain but luckily he has the Olympics to watch to keep his mind off it. I am acting as nurse so you can probably imagine how that's going!!  >:D

Would tie a knot in my handkerchief to remind me to water the plants but I don't have such an item.  Will have to remember tonight or there will be a garden mutiny!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: August 01, 2024, 12:40:26 AM »

Well he usually does the watering, to be fair, but is laid up at the moment with a badly swollen ankle and possible fractured fibula.  He fell downstairs carrying a stepladder!  Could have been worse I suppose.  Poor thing is in a fair bit of pain but luckily he has the Olympics to watch to keep his mind off it. I am acting as nurse so you can probably imagine how that's going!!  >:D

Would tie a knot in my handkerchief to remind me to water the plants but I don't have such an item.  Will have to remember tonight or there will be a garden mutiny!  >:D

Oh Linda now I'm imagining you in a nurses uniform - huffing and tutting at your poor hubby  :laugh:  >:D  You've properly made my day.

Joking apart that sounds bloody awful and very painful.  Has it been x-rayed?  Is it too badly swollen to see if it's fractured?  Poor sod - I do hope he's soon on the mend. Bet he's fed up  :(

I haven't owned a hankie since I was at school!  You'll just have to write yourself a note.  You don't want a mutiny!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: August 01, 2024, 12:59:35 AM »
He has had an x-ray but going for another next week as he has lot of swelling around the ankle so not quite sure what damage there is yet.  Think there is a small fracture of fibula but the pain is coming from ankle area.  Perhaps you should be nursing him Pen with your fracture clinic experience!  I'm sure you'd do better than me.

Am keeping an eye on the plants and will be poised with the hose this evening.  Mutiny will be averted!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: August 01, 2024, 01:28:09 AM »
I'm back Jack (as you can see!)

I'm going to make a rebus from the song I've been humming since I woke up.  It features in one of my favourite films which I have watched several times.  It's set in your neck of the woods about 50-60 years ago.

#4 #7 9 (#4 + #5)

Please use the surname of the character in picture one and change the first letter. Paddington is famous for this in picture three.  It's two words four and five.  You need the second word and lose the last letter. Please pretend it's all on one line.  I'll give you a super=dooper bonus point if you can name the film.

I'm off for a rummage in the fridge to see if I can find something to eat  :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: August 01, 2024, 01:38:53 AM »

He has had an x-ray but going for another next week as he has lot of swelling around the ankle so not quite sure what damage there is yet.  Think there is a small fracture of fibula but the pain is coming from ankle area.  Perhaps you should be nursing him Pen with your fracture clinic experience!  I'm sure you'd do better than me.

Am keeping an eye on the plants and will be poised with the hose this evening.  Mutiny will be averted!  >:D

I don't think you'd want to inflict me on the poor bugger - hasn't he suffered enough?  :laugh:  >:D    I have no patience and I'm not a patient patient.

The radiographers are always showing me different x-rays.  It's very interesting but sometimes, if it's a very bad break, it can make you really shudder.  I wouldn't be much good at dealing with the wounds or the patients sadly  :(

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: August 01, 2024, 03:28:48 AM »
Pen, you certainly have a propensity to dish out good rebuses.  You might have told me the second word of the song title was a homophone. :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 03:31:36 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: August 01, 2024, 04:05:49 AM »
Pen, you certainly have a propensity to dish out good rebuses.  You might have told me the second word of the song title was a homophone. :laugh:

Oops so sorry Jack  :-[  That was very remiss of me!  I completely missed that helpful clue out.  My only excuse is the bloody awful weather we're having.  It's fried my poor old brain  :(  It's supposed to break up tomorrow with thunderstorms so chances are I'll be in the cupboard under the stairs  :laugh:  At least if it rains Linda wont have to think about watering the garden tomorrow  ;)

A watering can full of apologies!
Penx

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: August 01, 2024, 07:51:26 AM »
Advice from a veteran of The Sick Front:

Curse a lot (do it judiciously)

Stare for long moments at pictures of Bonnie or whatever does it for you

That,s all ive got that’s fit to print

O … believe the good stuff

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: August 01, 2024, 09:42:02 AM »
Is it acceptable to curse a lot on the non-Sick Front, too? Oh, I hope so …

I know it’s frustrating to see a positive test, Pen, but hopefully it’ll stop you rushing back to work before you’re well enough?! ER must be on telly somewhere, or a Clooney film - you could do a bit of swooning?

If you need any supplies, give me a shout. I’m not far away and could whizz over with pink muck or something.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: August 01, 2024, 06:02:15 PM »
At least if it rains Linda wont have to think about watering the garden tomorrow  ;)

We were supposed to have a thunderstorm last night but it never materialised unless it happened during the night and I didn't hear it.  However, it did rain quite a bit so the plants got a double soaking as I did remember to water them in the evening and very grateful they were too!

Cooler today and looks as though more rain is on its way so hope that is the case with you Pen and you can get some relief from the heat.

How are you today?  Hopefully almost back to normal, or as normal as you were before covid struck!!  ;)

Patience is a virtue - but not one of mine either!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: August 01, 2024, 09:45:39 PM »
I was on the verge of asking why you hadn't mentioned your doctors appointment when I realised it's only Wednesday today. 

Hi Pen,

I now have a medical certificate declaring I am medical fit to drive for another year.  All my blood tests were as good or better than last time and my blood pressure was 120/85, the best result I have had for some time.  Now that dry July is over. I even had a small glass of red with dinner tonight,

It’s good to hear you are on the mend.

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: August 01, 2024, 10:19:48 PM »
Advice from a veteran of The Sick Front:

Curse a lot (do it judiciously)

Stare for long moments at pictures of Bonnie or whatever does it for you

That,s all ive got that’s fit to print

O … believe the good stuff

Your post made me laugh Paula  :laugh:  Hilarious.  I've done quite a bit of very judicious cursing this week.  Partly because I've felt poorly but mostly because of the unbearable hot and humid weather we've got at the moment.

I'm trying to be positive and looking for the good stuff  :)