Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876992 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11295 on: July 29, 2024, 10:24:48 PM »

I think 80 might just be pushing it a bit for the role, Pen!

I loved Olga Korbut too.  I especially like watching the floor exercises.  Those leaps and somersaults are mind boggling!

Hope you're feeling better today.  Keep on drowning those germs with pink plonk. 

More washing to hang out - oh joy!  >:D

I'm a bit fed up Linda.  Tested positive for bloody covid  :(  Not a whiff of it in over four years and got it now.  Not impressed.  Does pink plonk work in killing the covid bugs?  :laugh:  I do feel a little bit better today but it doesn't look I'll be returning to work until next week  :(

I think you're probably right.  Tom's a bit long in the tooth to return to the role sadly.

Olga Korbut was amazing.  I also remember Nadia Comanechi.  Another brilliant gymnast.  I think she may have been a little later.

It's roasting hot here and not a puff of wind.  I'm sure your washing will be dry in no time!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: July 29, 2024, 11:46:12 PM »

I hope you start feeling better soon.

I had another busy day.   I have had my blood tests and I see the doctor on Thursday.

We put a deposit on 25 solar panels today after doing lots of due diligence.  They should be installed on Friday. there is generally a 3 week delay but the installers had a cancellation and we jumped in.

Hi Jack

You'll see from my reply to Linda that I've got covid.  Not a happy bunny.  As Zoe rightly pointed out better now than four years ago!

Here's hoping your blood tests all come back well with no problems.  Please keep us posted after you've seen the doc on Thursday.

The gorgeous pictures of Ruby and the pups brought a big smile to my face and cheered me up.  I must be going mad because I'm sure I can see seven pups.  Perhaps I've forgotten how to count  :laugh:

At least you wont have any problems with sunshine to make the most of your solar panels  :)  Is there much work involved in installing them?

I'm going to have a bash at an Agatha Christie novel today.

#3 #6 #2 #5 7 (#3 + #3 + #1

You need the first name of the gent in picture four.  Please lose the first letter of picture five and first name of gent in picture six.  Just the first letter of picture seven and one homophone.  we're all on one line.

In need of a snooze  :-Y

« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 11:48:57 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11297 on: July 30, 2024, 12:46:44 AM »
I'm a bit fed up Linda.  Tested positive for bloody covid  :(  Not a whiff of it in over four years and got it now.  Not impressed.  Does pink plonk work in killing the covid bugs?  :laugh:  I do feel a little bit better today but it doesn't look I'll be returning to work until next week  :(

Oh poor you!  Do you know I nearly asked whether you had tested for covid but didn't want to appear alarmist!  I've had it twice even though I had all the jabs and boosters but I wasn't too ill with it whereas hubby was quite poorly.  Look after yourself and get plenty of rest and I'm sure pink plonk is recommended by medics for killing the germs so perhaps you need to increase your intake!  Take care and thinking of you.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: July 30, 2024, 04:37:12 AM »

Oh poor you!  Do you know I nearly asked whether you had tested for covid but didn't want to appear alarmist!  I've had it twice even though I had all the jabs and boosters but I wasn't too ill with it whereas hubby was quite poorly.  Look after yourself and get plenty of rest and I'm sure pink plonk is recommended by medics for killing the germs so perhaps you need to increase your intake!  Take care and thinking of you.  >:D

Thanks Linda  :-*  I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me over the weekend. Denial perhaps!  It feels like a bad cold but it's the stupid cough cough cough that's annoying.  Don't cough for hours then can't stop  :(  It's my first, and hopefully last, encounter with it.  I remember you and hubby both having it but didn't realise you'd had it twice.
It sounds like an extra dose of pink plonk might just do the trick  :laugh:  >:D

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: July 30, 2024, 09:54:18 AM »
Hi Pen,
Sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly - hopefully on the mend now in time to join in the gymnastics!

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: July 30, 2024, 09:56:03 AM »
Jack, I’m loving the pictures of Ruby and her pups. Adorable! Thank you. Keep ‘em coming because they seem to be good medicine … ?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: July 30, 2024, 05:00:22 PM »
Madeleine, I am at the mercy of the breeder who provides some pictures to my daughter.  I will pass on any that come my way.
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: July 30, 2024, 09:29:04 PM »
You'll see from my reply to Linda that I've got covid. 

Hi Pen,

I suppose you were high risk having so much public contact but it's still a bugger and you have every right not to be a happy bunny.

Your Agatha Christie partly restored my self-confidence because I have still not solved the previous one.  I will have to ask for a solution in due course.  By the absence of comment, I expect everyone else found it quite easy.

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: July 30, 2024, 11:36:30 PM »

Sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly - hopefully on the mend now in time to join in the gymnastics!

Thanks Madeleine  :) I am on the mend gradually thank goodness but I think the sight of me in a leotard would be enough to frighten the horses  :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: July 30, 2024, 11:43:53 PM »

Spookily in tune yet again, Pen.  A friend of mine has just lent me four Christie novels that I haven't read so after I finish the book club offerings - one dire and one good - I will be in the land of Hercules and Miss Marple, like you!  The good book I am reading at the moment is The Last Dance by Mark Billingham.  Not one I would have chosen in a book shop but I am enjoying it very much.  The dire one is Exposure by Helen Dunmore.  It has some good reviews but not for me, I'm afraid.

Hope you are getting better with each day and keeping up the liquid medication!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: July 31, 2024, 12:52:29 AM »

I suppose you were high risk having so much public contact but it's still a bugger and you have every right not to be a happy bunny.

Your Agatha Christie partly restored my self-confidence because I have still not solved the previous one.  I will have to ask for a solution in due course.  By the absence of comment, I expect everyone else found it quite easy.

Hi Jack

Thankfully I'm feeling a bit perkier today  :)  Apart from the awful bloody heat  :(  It was so hot in bed last night I think I saw almost every hour!  When I 'phoned in on Monday morning I was told that several of my colleagues in the X-ray Department have also got covid. Chances are that's where I picked it up.  One of the horrible side effects was that I had an awful dodgy tummy for a couple of days  :-R

Does this help you solve my previous rebus?  It was also adapted into a telly series.
The work... is a 12-volume roman-fleuve by English writer Anthony Powell, published between 1951 and 1975 to critical acclaim. The story is an often comic examination of movements and manners, power and passivity in English political, cultural and military life in the mid-20th century.

As you enjoyed Agatha Christie how about the last novel by another prolific British author?  It was published within the last ten years.

#5 #7 2 #3 #5

Please use the first three letters of picture one.  Can you cast your mind back a few years to schoolboy chemistry?  What is the latin name for the metal in picture two? You need to lose the second letter.  Not much else to say apart from position is vitally important. I'll offer you a bonus point for the name of the author.

This tickled me...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 12:54:50 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: July 31, 2024, 01:04:28 AM »

Spookily in tune yet again, Pen.  A friend of mine has just lent me four Christie novels that I haven't read so after I finish the book club offerings - one dire and one good - I will be in the land of Hercules and Miss Marple, like you!  The good book I am reading at the moment is The Last Dance by Mark Billingham.  Not one I would have chosen in a book shop but I am enjoying it very much.  The dire one is Exposure by Helen Dunmore.  It has some good reviews but not for me, I'm afraid.

Hope you are getting better with each day and keeping up the liquid medication!  >:D

Don't know how we do it Linda  :laugh:  It's great to find an Agatha Christie book that you haven't read before so hopefully you'll enjoy all four.  You'll have to report back!  I saw Mark Billingham on House of Games a while back.  Seemed like a genuinely lovely bloke  :) I've never read any of his books - perhaps I should give one a whirl.  Do you get ticked off at the book club if you don't finish the selected offerings? Give their attitude with the wine I'm guessing that's the case  :-R

Definitely getting better thanks  :)  I'm going to test again tomorrow and cross my fingers.  I'm doing my best to force down the liquid medication  :laugh:  >:D

I'm struggling with this damned weather  :(  Can't wait for it to break up at the end of the week!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: July 31, 2024, 05:14:24 PM »
I'll offer you a bonus point for the name of the author.

Hi Pen,

I'll claim that Bonus point by telling you that I have read every one of the late Author's books that featured George Smiley, plus several others.  Not only did you present a great rebus but you picked a great subject.  I have downloaded the book from the kindle store to read when I have finished the Vera series.  I am reading book 8.

Now I know the answer to the rebus that foxed me,I can see it was a very clever rebus and the fact that I couldn't solve it was a combination of a gap in my knowledge and my ineptitude.  Having worked out word 3 from picture 2, I forgot that I also needed to use picture 2 to get word 2.  I somehow believed it would be the right half of picture 1. I figured the last picture was either flea or mite and so I tried making sense of leaf or item without considering emit or time.  As I had never heard of the author, the book series or the TV program, I couldn’t give google a decent chance to help me out.  So congratulations to you for presenting a great rebus and to all the others that solved it.

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11308 on: July 31, 2024, 06:22:34 PM »
Do you get ticked off at the book club if you don't finish the selected offerings? Give their attitude with the wine I'm guessing that's the case  :-R

No, but I just know that I am going to be out of sync with the rest of them when reviewing the Helen Dunmore book.  Care not a jot!

I'm glad to hear you're improving and fingers crossed that the covid test is negative. 

It's very hot here too but not so hot that I can't sleep, thankfully.  Perhaps it's hotter where you are - it generally is. 

Will report back on the Agatha Christie.  Still on with the Mark Billingham.  I only tend to read in bed so take a while to get through books although I am quite a fast reader.  My neighbour is often seen sitting in the garden reading but I just can't seem to do that.  Too hot for me to sit out anyway at the moment.

Get plenty of rest and pink plonk and I'm sure you'll soon be buzzing around again.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: July 31, 2024, 10:36:28 PM »

No, but I just know that I am going to be out of sync with the rest of them when reviewing the Helen Dunmore book.  Care not a jot!

I'm glad to hear you're improving and fingers crossed that the covid test is negative. 

It's very hot here too but not so hot that I can't sleep, thankfully.  Perhaps it's hotter where you are - it generally is. 

Will report back on the Agatha Christie. 

Oh Linda you do make me laugh and cheer me up  :)  My test a bit earlier was still showing positive  :(  I feel so much better I was convinced it would be negative! The one thing we don't have in common is that you're fearless.  I'm afraid I run a mile from any form of confrontation!  I'm not any good at making a well thought out, constructive argument.  I just get cross and say the first stupid things which pop into my head.  I always remember what I wanted to say about an hour later  :laugh:

It's another scorcher here today.  I went out for a little walk in the woods first thing but am now skulking indoors with most of the curtains closed.  :laugh:

When you've finished with Mark Billingham I look forward to hearing which Agatha Christie you're going to read  :)