Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823539 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1125 on: June 22, 2018, 05:52:03 AM »

A little cheers:

Cheers - Meditation or Sex

Finally managed to watch it Jack.  Totally hilarious :laugh:  Thanks,
Forgot what a great programme it was.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #1126 on: June 22, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
I just can't decide if i should address this post to Penny or to the Beauty so it's ... G'day Beautiful Pen,

I absolutely agree, Cheers was indeed a classic but its really no surprise when you look at how all of the main characters have gone on to have such brilliant careers.
Do you remember the episode in which John Mahoney made a cameo appearance (i'm sure Jack will find it for us ).
It was due to this appearance that Grammer pitched for Mahoney to play his father in Fraisier & as you know the rest is history.

You probably already know but i was very surprised to learn that John Mahoney was actually born in England having emigrated to America at about 18 years of age, i was also not aware that he is no longer with us as he passed away at the age of 77.

Anyway enough about the bloody pommie & yankie comedians, i would like you to have a look at this link to an Australian comedian that i reckon you have probably never seen or even heard of, patiently awaiting your expert review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wooAsMxJGy0

Cheers, Le Beast

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:38:33 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 22, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
John Mahoney on Cheers

Season 11, Episode 5, Do Not Forsake Me, O My Postman
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1128 on: June 22, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »
Thanks Mate.

Les303

« Reply #1129 on: June 22, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
Perhaps we can start our own book club on Chi?!  >:D

Hi Linda.

Sound like a great idea but I’ve never never belonged to a book club. How would one work on Chi?

Hi Linda.

Sound like a great idea but I’ve never never belonged to a book club. How would one work on Chi?
[/quote]

G'day Jack,

I was quite surprised to hear that such a well read, intelligent & sensitive gentleman like yourself, has never been involved in a book club.
Of course many years ago I was involved or at least attended a couple because a friend had pointed out what a great opportunity it was to meet women, all you have to do is wait until they are discussing a particularly sad or very romantic novel & even though you have never actually read the book, just nod very sagely as you agree with all their comments & interpretations & the possibilities are endless as you are suddenly perceived to be such a sympathetic, caring & sensitive soul who is so in touch with his feelings.

Seriously though, Jennifer Byrne was one of my favourite investigative journalists, she wrote brilliant hard hitting articles which often included touches of sarcastic humour which I really enjoyed.
So when she made the transition to prime time television to host a very popular " current affairs " program, i was very pleased as she was an excellent presenter & as a bonus, just happened to be very easy on the eye. ( she has the most beautiful smile )
There was a lot of controversy when despite the excellent ratings she was suddenly dropped from that show & faded into relative obscurity so imagine my surprise as one night i am flicking through the channels looking for something half decent to wtach when i come across Jenifer hosting a show called the Book Club.
So that night, i watched the entire 30 minute show,  i can't even remember the books that they ere discussing but i actually found it quite interesting & enjoyed their banter so i tuned into the following show the next week where i lasted about 5 minutes before deciding to watch a movie.

Having said all that, i do agree with you that Linda's idea to start a Book Club on Chi would be fantastic as i am sure that there would be many genuine book reading forumites out there who would love to have the opportunity to share their thoughts, opinions & interpretations on books with like minded people. ( it might even encourage me to actually pick up a book & read it ).

So Linda, if you choose to take on this challenge, the ball is in your court, how are you going to format this?
I think that your biggest problem will be in selecting an appropriate book that people are going to want to comment on, maybe start off slowly & suggest a classic that everyone has read or perhaps ask for suggestions from forumites & select the most requested.

If you were to take the latter option, my nomination would be " The Power of One " by Bryce Courtney. 

Cheers les

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:19 PM »
I was quite surprised to hear that such a well read, intelligent & sensitive gentleman like yourself, has never been involved in a book club.

Les, the world is full of surprises.  I'll accept 2/4 of the characteristics you ascribed to me.  I'll leave you to work out which ones. I find it hard to believe I would enjoy sitting around with a group of people talking about books but I could see that offering opinions and arguing points in writing at a time of my choosing would be interesting.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 22, 2018, 11:14:23 PM »
I'm fairly happy that it's Thursday & in less than 4 hours I'll be finished work til Monday morning.
I'm manning a moderately busy reception desk at the moment.  It's frustrating that work gets in the way of enjoyment >:D
Pip pip

A week off and now a long weekend.  Sounds to me that you've got the life of Reilly, Pen.

It's getting harder to get good short clips, particularly of contemporary comedians.  I've had a look at Kevin Bridges, Rhod Gilbert, Jimeoin and a number of others.  Some are funny but I find they lack the style and subtleness of our old favorites:such as the Two Ronnies; Dave Allen; and the comedy series of 30 years ago. They also have to be short or people will stop watching after about 4 minutes.

Or is the problem me.  Have I become a nostalgic old fart who can't adapt to changing styles.  

One of the problems of dishing out the old favorites is that sooner or later, with my short term memory, I am going to repeat something that has already been posted and then imagine the stick I am going to cop from Les.  The guy has a photographic memory for jokes, shows, sporting details and previous posts that is freakish.  So I will present a few contempories for your judgement.  But first i will give you one which I reckon Les will try at his pub.

Cheers - Harry The Con Man

Kevin Bridges = Knife Crime and Sesame street

Rhod Gilbert - Shower gels

Don't Cold Call Lee Mack

Happy Friday -- hoping you’ve got some relaxing things planned for the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:15:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 23, 2018, 04:49:26 AM »
I just can't decide if i should address this post to Penny or to the Beauty so it's ... G'day Beautiful Pen,

Do you remember the episode in which John Mahoney made a cameo appearance (i'm sure Jack will find it for us ).
It was due to this appearance that Grammer pitched for Mahoney to play his father in Fraisier & as you know the rest is history.

You probably already know but i was very surprised to learn that John Mahoney was actually born in England having emigrated to America at about 18 years of age, i was also not aware that he is no longer with us as he passed away at the age of 77.

Anyway enough about the bloody pommie & yankie comedians, i would like you to have a look at this link to an Australian comedian that i reckon you have probably never seen or even heard of, patiently awaiting your expert review.

Bonsoir Monsieur Le Beast
You're a proper old smoothy chops but I loved being addressed as Beautiful Pen :)
I was pleased that Jack found the clip of John Mahoney in Cheers.  I'd completely forgotten he'd been in it. I knew he was originally from England but didn't know he'd passed away.
I watched Carl Barron. I had never seen or heard of him before.  I didn't roar with laughter sorry.  Found bits of it funny & bits of it not so funny.
Toodle Pip
The beauty (still with tongue wedged firmly in cheek :laugh:)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 23, 2018, 05:05:27 AM »

It's getting harder to get good short clips, particularly of contemporary comedians.  I've had a look at Kevin Bridges, Rhod Gilbert, Jimeoin and a number of others.  Some are funny but I find they lack the style and subtleness of our old favorites:such as the Two Ronnies; Dave Allen; and the comedy series of 30 years ago. They also have to be short or people will stop watching after about 4 minutes.

Or is the problem me.  Have I become a nostalgic old fart who can't adapt to changing styles.  

One of the problems of dishing out the old favorites is that sooner or later, with my short term memory, I am going to repeat something that has already been posted and then imagine the stick I am going to cop from Les.  The guy has a photographic memory for jokes, shows, sporting details and previous posts that is freakish.  So I will present a few contempories for your judgement.  But first i will give you one which I reckon Les will try at his pub.

Happy Friday -- hoping you’ve got some relaxing things planned for the weekend.

Evening Jack
I do know what you mean - I keeping harking back to our old favourites so perhaps I'm a nostalgic old fart as well :laugh:  I don't mind if you repeat things & hopefully the eagle-eyed beasty wont notice >:D
I did watch all the clips & actually found them very funny.  I like Kevin Bridges but struggle with his broad Scottish accent.  I particularly liked the Rhod Gilbert Shower Gels sketch :laugh:
I'm having afternoon tea at a friends tomorrow to celebrate her Golden Wedding :)  She said you don't get 50 years for murder!! (the old ones are the best!)
Have a fab weekend - even though every day is a weekend for you ;D
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 23, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
I'm having afternoon tea at a friends tomorrow to celebrate her Golden Wedding :)

Here's a couple of jokes to drop in over afternoon tea.

The Anniversary Decision

A couple was celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
The man looks at his wife as asks “what would you like to do for our anniversary?”
She then replies “we could run upstairs and make love.”
He replies, “Make up your mind, we can’t do both.”

The Anniversary Trip

A man asked his friend about his upcoming 50th wedding anniversary.
The friend asked, “What you did for your 25th anniversary?”
The Man said “I took my wife to Hawaii.”
The friend then asked, “What are you thinking about for your 50th?”
The man replied “I’m thinking about going back to get her!”

Wise, kind, gentle, generous, sexy . . . but enough about me. Here's to you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:57:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1135 on: June 23, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »

The husband, on explaining their 50 years of successful marrage, well for my part, I never try to be selfish after all, there is no " I " in marrage & the wife replies, well for my part, I never try to correct his spelling.

---

An elderly couple are sitting at the breakfast table reminiscing on their 50th wedding anniversary.
Lisa, do you remember when we were on our honeymoon how we wouldn't even bother getting dressed & just sit at the breakfast table in the nude?
Oh of course I do Roger, they are such wonderful memories, in fact, just for old times sake, why don't we strip off right now.

So they both get naked & return to the breakfast table.

Lisa leans forward to look into Roger's eyes as she lovingly explains that her nipples are as hot for him right now as they were 50 years ago.
Roger leans back in his chair & laconically replies, well I'm not surprised as one of them is dangling in your coffee & the other is in your porridge.

---

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:50 AM »
Thanks You Two!  Very funny :laugh: Made me laugh out loud!  Sorry should that be lol ;D I've been & come back from the Golden wedding tea party but I will save the jokes & repeat them to my friend when I see her later in the week.
Grumpy, impatient, forgetful...& those are my better qualities >:D
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 24, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
Pen, Les and anyone interested,

Humour is not only meant to be entertaining and make you feel good, it can also be used to sell serious messages.
  • You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
  • A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

Sorry, if these a bit long (8 minutes) and it helps to know something about the Australian situation.

However, if this was a bit too serious, I think this next one will make you laugh and that's it's sole purpose.

Dave Fagan -interpretive dance

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:26:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 25, 2018, 04:50:46 AM »
Evening Jack
I fell about laughing at the interpretive dance.  So very very funny.  Don't know where you find these things!
Given the choice I would prefer not to eat halal meat.  A few supermarkets here sell it but don't label it so I guess I've eaten it without knowing.
Anyway that's irrelevant!  Governments just love wasting tax payers money >:(
By the way Hugh Dennis is the father of 3 in a sitcom called Outnumbered.  On the whole quite funny.  It hasn't been on for a while though.
Pen

Les303

« Reply #1139 on: June 25, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »
G'day Pen,

I am just a little bit surprised that you haven't had anything to say about Jack's latest avatar as he seems to have dropped the " bib " quite a bit although I can understand that he probably posted it on one of those nights when he had over indulged in one of those fancy wines that you & he are always talking about.

Cheers Les