Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 845925 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11220 on: July 09, 2024, 09:49:24 AM »
My instructions should have read same for picture two please lose the first and last letters of the character on the right.

Hi Pen,

That removes the need for a second homophone and gives the same answer.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11221 on: July 10, 2024, 12:06:30 AM »

That removes the need for a second homophone and gives the same answer.

Hi Jack

Another busy day here.  I'm not sure how far I'll get with this but I'll give it my all!

My rebus today is a programme I enjoyed very much when I was a kid.

#3 #5 10 (#5 + #2 + #3)

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one.  Please change the first letter of the second word of picture three to something nearer the end of the alphabet.  Lose the first letter of picture four and we're all on one line.

I've been stopping and starting so fingers crossed there are no mistakes.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 12:15:54 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: July 11, 2024, 12:58:07 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm very glad it's Thursday tomorrow.  Just got to get through the afternoon on fracture clinic and then I'm away for four lovely days  :laugh:

My offering today is a poem from the late 19th century, written by a gent you told us about some time ago.

5 (#3 + #2) #5 #7

[img
Please lose the last letter of picture one and then change the second letter for a different vowel. You need two consecutive letters from the middle of picture two.  Pictures three and four give you the second word and lob and apostrophe in!  Please ignore Miss Piggy and Kermit in picture five and one of what you're left with.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

Just thirty minutes and counting ... :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: July 11, 2024, 09:27:48 PM »
Hi Pen,

I thoroughly approve of your choice of poet.  Apart from being a prolific poet, when World War I broke out he embarked with the first Australian Imperial Force convoy in October 1914. He had hoped to secure employment in Flanders as a war correspondent, but was unsuccessful. During 1914 and 1915 he drove ambulances for the Australian Voluntary Hospital in Wimereux, France. In October 1915 he was commissioned by the Australian Imperial Force as a captain in the 2nd Remount Unit in Egypt where he broke in and trained Australian horses and mules. He was promoted to the rank of major in April 1919. His wife Alice worked in a nearby Red Cross ambulance unit.

Want to know why my grandkids call me grumps?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 09:29:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: July 12, 2024, 04:49:27 AM »

I thoroughly approve of your choice of poet.   

Want to know why my grandkids call me grumps?

Hi Jack

I hoped you'd approve  :)  What an amazing gent Banjo Paterson was and what an incredible career (not sure that's the right word but I can't come up with anything better) he had during World War I.  Very brave and dedicated.  My maternal Granddad was a runner between the trenches delivering messages during the war as he was very light on his feet.  I've got a medal he earned for taking part in the trials for the 1920 Olympics.

I loved that picture  :)  It really tickled me :laugh: Did the T-shirt come back from the US with the Cleveland Mob?

I've had a busy day so I'm going to search for a few words and relax in my comfy chair and watch another episode of Pie in the Sky - sadly with adverts  :(

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: July 13, 2024, 02:16:12 AM »
Hi Jack

Another hectic day so just a flying visit from me.

My puzzle is a bit easy peasy. It's the follow up to a film that I really enjoyed and have watched a couple of times. Loved them both. Hope it's not a repeat but I have a suspicion it might be.

10 (#6 + #4) #6: #3 #3 #3

:

You need the surname of the character in picture one.  First name of the baddie in picture two and please change the first letter.
Past tense for picture four and make a homophone.  Please lose the first letter of picture five and just use the first three letters of picture six.  Although I've split it it's all on one line.

That's all from me!  Need to sort some grub or number one daughter will be lodging a complaint  :laugh:

ps sorry did I forget to say lob in a apostrophe?  >:D  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: July 13, 2024, 10:52:03 AM »
My puzzle is a bit easy peasy. It's the follow up to a film that I really enjoyed and have watched a couple of times. Loved them both. Hope it's not a repeat but I have a suspicion it might be.

Hi Pen,

Did you love them both times you watched it or loved both films, including the one of which your puzzle was a spin-off? 

I can't remember you using the films before but if you take off the "s", it reminds me of a lozenge with an interesting history, which I will bore you with.

The Lozenge was originally developed by pharmacist James Lofthouse in 1865 to relieve various respiratory problems suffered by people working in the extreme conditions of cold and wet. Though he developed it as an extremely strong liquid remedy containing menthol and eucalyptus oil, Lofthouse later made the liquid into small lozenges, which were easier to transport and administer.

The company expanded its reach after the 1963 marriage of Doreen and Tony Lofthouse, a grandson of the founder, following which Doreen became a director; it transitioned from direct sales to stocking by retailers and subsequently spread abroad, initially to Norway in 1974, and different flavours were added to appeal to regional tastes. The shape of the lozenges was reportedly based on the buttons of a dress worn by Mrs Lofthouse.

British prime minister Margaret Thatcher is said to have used the product when her throat became strained from public speaking. French president Emmanuel Macron uses them too: "He finds his energy  those lozenges which rip your throat out. He keeps them in his pockets and in the car-seats. When speaking publicly, he needs water, some slices of lemon and a small dish of lozenges. During the Presidential campaign, he was reported to have devoured crates of them, delivered to his campaign headquarters."

The lozenges are relatively unchanged since their creation. The original paper packets later became foil-lined and packaged in a cardboard carton.

More Trivia.

Anacreon, or Anakreon, (born c. 582 BC, Teos, Ionia—died c. 485), was the last great lyric poet of Asian Greece. Only fragments of his poetry have survived but this fragment, translated by Thomas Moore, is one you might like.

When wine I quaff, before my eyes
Dreams of poetic glory rise;
And freshened by the goblet's dews,
My soul invokes the heavenly Muse,
When wine I drink, all sorrow 's o'er;
I think of doubts and fears no more;
But scatter to the railing wind
Each gloomy phantom of the mind.
When I drink wine, the ethereal boy,
Bacchus himself, partakes my joy;
And while we dance through vernal bowers,
Whose every breath comes fresh from flowers,
In wine he makes my senses swim,
Till the gale breathes of naught but him!

Till the whole world of beauty seems
To crowd into my dazzled dreams!
When thus I drink, my heart refines,
And rises as the cup declines;
Rises in the genial flow,
That none but social spirits know,
When, with young revellers, round the bowl,
The old themselves grow young in soul!
Oh, when I drink, true joy is mine,
There's bliss in every drop of wine.
All other blessings I have known,
I scarcely dared to call my own;

But this is more my style

And I'll leave you with

« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 10:56:32 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: July 14, 2024, 04:50:40 AM »

Did you love them both times you watched it or loved both films, including the one of which your puzzle was a spin-off? 

I can't remember you using the films before but if you take off the "s", it reminds me of a lozenge with an interesting history, which I will bore you with.

The lozenges are relatively unchanged since their creation. The original paper packets later became foil-lined and packaged in a cardboard carton.

More Trivia.

Bacchus himself, partakes my joy;

But this is more my style

Hi Jack

I thoroughly enjoyed your post  :) - not even remotely boring.

I loved both films  :laugh:

I've never managed to eat a whole one of those lozenges to which you refer.  After about 30 seconds I find the taste so disgusting I spit it out   :(

I did enjoy the poem by Anacreon.  It also reminded me that my sister had a basset hound called Bacchus many many moons ago.

The Brian Bilston was short and funny  :laugh:

No company tonight so I've only got myself to argue with about which film to watch  >:D

Jimmy Anderson played his last test match for England against the Windies at Lords.  A fantastic career - he'll be missed and a sad day for me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 04:52:14 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: July 14, 2024, 12:04:42 PM »
Jimmy Anderson played his last test match for England against the Windies at Lords.  A fantastic career - he'll be missed and a sad day for me.

Hi Pen,

I thought you might appreciate Blue's tribute to Jimmy Anderson on his retirement. He had a bit of coaching from me on the fancy words.

Quote from: Blue
James Anderson was a bloody legend—a bloke who has graced the cricketing world with his artistry, resilience, and unwavering commitment. He has hung up his boots after an illustrious 21-year career.  He was a booby dazzler. Warney once called him a “class act”.

Jimmy, to his mates, was more than just a bowler. He was a maestro—a conductor of the cricket ball, orchestrating symphonies of seam movement and swing. His mastery over the red cherry was akin to a virtuoso coaxing melody from a violin. Whether it was the green, seaming track of the Campbell Park Cricket Ground or the dust bowls of the subcontinent, Anderson’s artistry transcended conditions.

Seven hundred and four wickets, just 4 short of Warney, speaks volumes about his consistency, skill, and sheer determination. From the iconic Lord’s Cricket Ground to the genteel chiacking of the MCG, Jimmy left his mark on every pitch he graced. His ability to extract movement even in the twilight of his career was nothing short of bloody magnificent.

Even Smithy, Steve to you, feared the sight of Anderson running in, ball in hand. The outside edge trembled, and the stumps quivered. His inswingers kissed the timber, while the outswingers teased the off stump.

Off the field, Jimmy was the epitome of sportsmanship. His battles with the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, and Virat Kohli were fierce yet respectful. He celebrated wickets with a smile, acknowledging the contest rather than the conquest. His camaraderie with fellow cricketers transcended national boundaries—a true ambassador of the gentleman’s game. He was fair dinkum.

As the sun sets on his career, we raise our glasses to James Anderson. He leaves the arena, not with regret, but with gratitude. Gratitude for the privilege of representing England, for the joy he brought to millions (particularly Pen), and for inspiring generations of young bowlers to dream big.

So, let us applaud James Anderson—the swing king, the gentleman competitor, and the embodiment of cricketing grace. May his retirement be a standing ovation.  Farewell, Jimmy. Your legacy is etched in the red leather, and your spirit lives on in every seamer who aspires to swing the ball like you did.

Pen, is there any truth in the rumor you put this ad in the Milton Keynes Citizen newspaper?  If so I assume you used someone else's photo for privacy reasons.

And I’ll leave you with this:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 12:11:31 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: July 14, 2024, 10:26:50 PM »

I thought you might appreciate Blue's tribute to Jimmy Anderson on his retirement. He had a bit of coaching from me on the fancy words.

Hi Jack

Please thank Blue and tell him that I very much appreciate his tribute to Jimmy  :) Beautifully put - I love it  :-*

My neighbours and I are hot footing it down the road this afternoon.  Every Sunday during the Summer we have Music on the Green.  Today's entertainment is ...
9 (#3 + #3 + #3) #5 #4

Please reverse picture one and lose the first letter of picture two.  You need three consecutive letters (of eight) from picture three.  How might a Yorkshireman refer to picture four?  Please change the first letter of picture five and we're all on one line.
I've missed the second word out as I'm a bit short of time.  A bonus point if you can solve the rebus and tell me what the missing word is!

I was in a cafe this morning happily dipping my biscuits in other people's tea when they called the police...
They said I was dunkin' disorderly!

I'll see your Billy Connolly and offer you this  ;D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 10:33:17 PM by Hobbit »

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #11230 on: July 15, 2024, 03:15:31 PM »
A bonus point if you can solve the rebus and tell me what the missing word is!

Heritage?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: July 15, 2024, 03:47:10 PM »
My neighbours and I are hot footing it down the road this afternoon.  Every Sunday during the Summer we have Music on the Green.  Today's entertainment is ...
I've missed the second word out as I'm a bit short of time.  A bonus point if you can solve the rebus and tell me what the missing word is!

Hi Pen,

I am not good at guessing missing words.  It is not part of my heritage. >:D

I haven’t heard how your entertainment group went yesterday but they recently performed at Glastonbury 2024 and got good reviews.  Are you looking forward to the Woburn Sands “A” mob next Sunday?

It must be great to have this free entertainment 5 minute’s walk down the road.

I hope the Church that provides you with this free entertainment isn’t the one you were complaining about a couple of years ago.

There's a wedding at our local church this afternoon & those pesky bell ringers are out in force :-R  Zoe wouldn't let me get my gun out & go round there >:D  :laugh:

And I’ll leave you with
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: July 16, 2024, 12:22:43 AM »

I am not good at guessing missing words.  It is not part of my heritage. >:D

I haven’t heard how your entertainment group went yesterday but they recently performed at Glastonbury 2024 and got good reviews.  Are you looking forward to the Woburn Sands “A” mob next Sunday?

It must be great to have this free entertainment 5 minute’s walk down the road.

I hope the Church that provides you with this free entertainment isn’t the one you were complaining about a couple of years ago.

And I’ll leave you with

Heritage?

Hi Yvonne & Jack

Two bonus points awarded of course  :laugh:

It was very entertaining and we really enjoyed it.  I was expecting more people but then realised it was the mens singles final at Wimbledon at the same time.  It's great to have free entertainment on the doorstep.  Mind you it wouldn't be much fun if it rains as it's outside! It's organised by West Bletchley council and not the church thankfully  :angel:  I'm very much looking forward the Woburn Sands mob next week.  Eve has two cousins and a friend who play in the band  :)

A quick and simple rebus today.  It's an episode of a series that Linda and I are rather partial to  >:D

#4 #3 #4 #4

Please lose the first two letters (of six) of picture one and use three consecutive letters from the middle of picture two.  Please change the first letter of picture three to something nearer the end of the alphabet.  Also, change the first letter of word three of picture four.  We're all on one line.
Do hope it's error free.  It's a bit busy and noisy here this afternoon.

What a gorgeous picture of Ruby :)  I don't know why but I expected the puppies to be curly like their mum!

Only about an hour til going home time.  It can't come quickly enough  :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: July 16, 2024, 01:00:29 AM »
It's an episode of a series that Linda and I are rather partial to  >:D

Another good episode, Pen.  I especially like the name of the cat!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile