Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823255 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1110 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
As for Miss Fisher, I'd never heard of her till the recent postings. Would I be right in thinking it's a bit like The Mrs Bradley Mysteries but set in 1920s Melbourne instead of 1920s Home Counties?
Quote from: Hobbit
Wonder if it's on Netflix?

I couldn't find it on Netflix.  I found two full episodes on YouTube (2&4).  I sampled the first 5 minutes of each and there appears to be a lot of similarities in the two series as one would expect - the music, the costumes and a strong-minded, clever woman.  On the brief sample, it appears that Diana Rigg's character is a lot more formal and less outrageous than Essie Davis's character.  But given Mike's assessment this might prove to be premature.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 21, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »
And the car - Mrs Bradley's classic Roller (and it is a classic; I wonder where the Beeb got it from, and how much it was insured for??) vs Ms Fisher's Hispano Suiza.
I now have the first two Miss Fisher episodes - you can find anything on DVD in Bangkok if you know where to look - and I look forward to watching them.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1112 on: June 21, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
Having read a number of the Mrs Bradley books before the TV series came out, I felt Diana Rigg was a very poor casting choice. Here is the first description of her in the books, reprinted from https://www.gladysmitchell.com/mrs-bradley-an-introduction:

Mrs. Bradley was dry without being shrivelled, and bird-like without being pretty. She reminded Alastair Bing, who was afraid of her, of the reconstruction of a pterodactyl he had once seen in a German museum. There was the same inhuman malignity in her expression as in that of the defunct bird, and, like it, she had a cynical smirk about her mouth even when her face was in repose. She possessed nasty, dry, claw-like hands, and her arms, yellow and curiously repulsive, suggested the plucked wings of a fowl…
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 21, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
Good heavens!  Poor casting is an understatement.  Mrs Bradley sounds truly awful.  No similarity at all to Mrs Peel.
Cheers Val

PS   Back in the late 60s, I named my Siamese cats John Steed and Emma Peel. 

I'll sleep in my next life

Les303

« Reply #1114 on: June 21, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
G'day Les

I very much enjoyed your insightful comments & thoughts about the cricket. Most interesting. It's nice for England to be on top for a little while. I suspect it wont last! I'm off to Trent Bridge in about three weeks to watch a ODI between England & India.  Looking forward to it very much.

Keep well & be happy
Penx

G'day Beauty,

England v India, what a great series that will be, i am just a little bit envious that you will get to see a live game but happy for you as i am sure that you will have a great day especially if, as i suspect, England will continue with their winning ways in fact i am tipping a whitewash to England although if it were being played in India then the result would definitely be a lot closer.

Cheers from the Beast.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 21, 2018, 07:41:24 PM »
Having read a number of the Mrs Bradley books before the TV series came out, I felt Diana Rigg was a very poor casting choice. Here is the first description of her in the books, reprinted from https://www.gladysmitchell.com/mrs-bradley-an-introduction:

Mrs. Bradley was dry without being shrivelled, and bird-like without being pretty. She reminded Alastair Bing, who was afraid of her, of the reconstruction of a pterodactyl he had once seen in a German museum. There was the same inhuman malignity in her expression as in that of the defunct bird, and, like it, she had a cynical smirk about her mouth even when her face was in repose. She possessed nasty, dry, claw-like hands, and her arms, yellow and curiously repulsive, suggested the plucked wings of a fowl…

Indeed. I'm not sure the BBC could have found anyone to play a character that looked like that!
This is what they came up with instead:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »
What is Barnaby doing there?  Surely he has a busy enough time of it in Midsomer?!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 21, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
Neil Dudgeon is Mrs B's loyal and trusty chauffeur - and, what's more, he is nude in one episode!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 21, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
What is Barnaby doing there?  Surely he has a busy enough time of it in Midsomer?!

I was wondering exactly the same thing Linda!
I'm unsure about a naked Neil Dudgeon...
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »

G'day Beauty,

England v India, what a great series that will be, i am just a little bit envious that you will get to see a live game but happy for you as i am sure that you will have a great day especially if, as i suspect, England will continue with their winning ways in fact i am tipping a whitewash to England although if it were being played in India then the result would definitely be a lot closer.

Cheers from the Beast.

Morning Beasty

Hope you're not putting the heebie-jeebies on England by predicting a whitewash :o
India are a brilliant team there's no doubt about that & if the matches were being played there I don't think England would have a snowballs chance :laugh:  Anyway whatever the result it will be a great day out.  Providing of course that it doesn't lash down with rain ;D

from the beauty (with tongue very firmly in cheek!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
I found two full episodes on YouTube (2&4).  

I played episode 2.  It was very disappointing because of the poor copying including sound reproduction.  But the story line and acting were excellent,  All 5 episodes on a 2 CD set are available on Amazon.au.  I presume they are similarly available on Amazon in other regions.

I am not interested in seeing Neil Dudgeon naked.  Diana Rigg could be a different proposition. >:D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:02:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »
Trust this finds you tickety boo!

I’m hunky-dory!

I do like the idea of Les & I being beauty & the beast.  Or perhaps you meant it the other way round :laugh:

I’d have to drink a lots of beers before I could be drunk enough to think of Les as “Beauty” and ten times as much to think of you as the “Beast”, Pen.  Anyway Les and you  have sorted it out in subsequent posts.

A little cheers:

Cheers - Meditation or Sex

Here’s to staying positive and testing negative.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
Afternoon Jack

Glad you're hunky dory :laugh:  I'm fairly happy that it's Thursday & in less than 4 hours I'll be finished work til Monday morning :-) :-V
I will have to save the Cheers clip til later as I'm manning a moderately busy reception desk at the moment.  It's frustrating that work gets in the way of enjoyment >:D
Pip pip
Pen

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 21, 2018, 10:03:33 PM »
No work for me today and after tomorrow no work until Tuesday!  Book club tonight - plenty of wine and quizzes and the odd book!  Latest offering was 'The Lie Tree' by Frances Hardinge - would not recommend it!  Would, however, thoroughly recommend 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman just in case anyone is interested.  Perhaps we can start our own book club on Chi?!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 21, 2018, 11:53:09 PM »
Perhaps we can start our own book club on Chi?!  >:D

Hi Linda.

Sound like a great idea but I’ve never never belonged to a book club. How would one work on Chi?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:59:18 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack