Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870667 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11040 on: May 16, 2024, 11:58:46 PM »

You probably did get it right but unfortunely I got the introduction wrong because I believed what I was told in the novel I was reading.

Spoiler alert.  If you want to see the answer to the rebus and how I was fooled, IT explains HERE.

Hi Jack

I have to own up and admit that I didn't get it quite right but that was mainly because I couldn't count!  I'm very glad you included the spoiler  ;)

A nice & simple puzzle from me today.  It's an expression I said to one of my friends at work yesterday.

#3 #4 #2 #2 #2 #4

Please lose the last letter of picture one and then make a homophone. You need an eight letter noun for picture three and then use two consecutive letters.  Picture four - any one of the 206 in the human body and then please lose the first and last letters. You just need the first and last letter of picture five.  Last four letters of picture six and please pretend it's all on one line.

Dave, the Landlord of the Bull and Butcher in Bletchley had just crawled into bed at 2am.  It had been a long and busy evening and it had taken a long time to persuade all the stragglers to go home and then he had to clear up afterwards.  He'd only just put his head on the pillow when the 'phone rang.  "What time do you open up in the morning?" asked a man who had obviously had more than one over the eight!  Dave was hopping mad and slammed the phone down.  Two minutes later the 'phone rang again and he heard the same voice ask the same question.  "Listen!" shouted Dave “there’s no sense in asking me what time I open because I wouldn’t let a person in your condition in—“  Before he could finish, the man interrupted "I don't want to get in - I want to get out!"

Leave you with a daft joke  ;D  I'm off to cricket at Northampton tomorrow afternoon with my cronies from work.  It's a 20/20 match against Pakistan.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 12:02:06 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: May 17, 2024, 02:25:11 PM »
A nice & simple puzzle from me today.  It's an expression I said to one of my friends at work yesterday.

Hi Pen,

If I have solved your rebus, it would seem you accused your friend of making you undertake a lengthy en-pointe.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: May 17, 2024, 11:27:59 PM »

If I have solved your rebus, it would seem you accused your friend of making you undertake a lengthy en-pointe.

Hi Jack

That's very good  :laugh:

It's a very warm and humid day here.  I'm hoping it's cooled down a bit by later - don't fancy sitting in the sun in this heat!

A very easy peasy puzzle from me today as I don't have a great deal of time.  You could call it a follow on  >:D

#3 10 (#3 + #5 + #2)

Please use the first three letters of picture one.  Picture two you're not interested in who he is but what. Please lose the first and last letters and then reverse what you have left. Finally, please change the third letter.  You need the character sitting down in picture three. Lose the last three letters and then change the vowel to a different one. You need a noun for picture four and just use the last two letters.  We're all on one line.

That's all from me.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: May 18, 2024, 01:00:22 PM »
A very easy peasy puzzle from me today as I don't have a great deal of time.  You could call it a follow on  >:D

Hi Pen,

I hope everyone else had plenty of time.

It's too hard a nut to crack.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: May 18, 2024, 09:31:47 PM »

I hope everyone else had plenty of time.

It's too hard a nut to crack.

Hi Jack

I'll get some humble pie out of the fridge and give myself 2/10  :(  :laugh:

Hopefully I can redeem myself today.  My rebus is a book from the nineteenth century that was made into a film thirty odd years ago.

#4 8 (#4 + #4) #5

You need the surname of the gent in picture one and the character in picture two.  Please use the third word of picture three.  Lose the first three words and then lob in an apostrophe.  Please change the third letter of picture four.

A gent takes his place in St Martin's Theatre to watch The Mousetrap, but his seat is too far from the stage.
He whispers to the usher, "This is a murder mystery, and I can't see properly unless I'm much nearer the stage. Move me to a better seat, and I'll give you a decent tip."
The usher moves him to the second row in the stalls, and the man hands the usher a 50 pence piece.
The usher looks at the coin, leans over and whispers, "The policeman did it."

Leave you with a silly joke  ;D  Time for some lunch  :-H

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: May 18, 2024, 09:52:26 PM »
"The policeman did it."

Oh Pen!  You've given the game away!  I saw Mousetrap in St Martin's and we were all more or less sworn to secrecy.  Naughty girl.  >:D

Lovely sunny day here so have got all my holiday clothes out on the line and stressing over which sandals to take.  Bought some very ugly walking sandals which I will never wear over here but will hopefully come in useful for sightseeing.  Hubby tried to get me to wear trainers .... as if!!  I don't do shoes, just sandals in summer and boots in winter.

Ham and tomato sarnie with fave condiment for lunch and am going to soak up some vitamin D for a while before tackling some ironing.  I used to iron everything (even tea towels and knickers) but have become less pernickity and lazier in my old age! One advantage, I suppose ....  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: May 19, 2024, 02:20:26 AM »
Oh Linda will I get a knock on the door and a rap on the knuckles do you think?  I did think it fairly unlikely that anyone who read my post would be beetling off to see the Mousetrap anytime soon.  Eve and I saw it many years ago.  We were tickled by the bouncers dressed in green outside The Ivy opposite.  Joking apart, do you think I should remove it?

I hadn't realised your trip to Bologna had come round so quick!  When do you actually go and for how long?  Wish I was coming with you :)

I've always been a bit lazy about tasks I don't enjoy  :laugh:  >:D  Never been one for ironing everything! I just iron what needs doing.

The sun only came out here about an hour ago. We had a beautiful day yesterday which I was quite pleased about as I was watching cricket in Northampton until about 9.20pm. Yes I know what you're thinking  :-Z 

I hope you're ironing is complete and you've selected your holiday wardrobe  :laugh: If the ugly sandals are comfy that's all that matters.  Especially if you're going to do a lot of walking.

Zoe and I are having sticky chilli chicken with noodles and spring rolls for tea.  Courtesy of M & S  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: May 19, 2024, 11:58:28 AM »
My rebus is a book from the nineteenth century that was made into a film thirty odd years ago.

Hi Pen,
A bit of extra trivia,  The novel itself has been adapted into various films over the years, but the 1919 silent film stands as the first attempt to bring the adventure to the silver screen.  This version is now considered lost, which means that no known copies of the film exist today.  Since then several movies have been made based on the novel, four with the same title (1937, 1950, 1985, and 2004)  as your Rebus.

I will continue the biblical theme.  The subject of my rebus is a person who has been referred to by Pope Francis as the “Apostle of the Apostles”.

Word1 ( 5 ).  You need another anagram of the two anagrams in Picture 1.

Word 2 ( 4 ).  The lass in Picture 2 doesn’t look at all contrary.

Word 3 ( 9 ). 
  Component 1 ( 5 ). First name in Picture 3.  Have you seen “Babe”
  Component 2 ( 4 ).  Only in America – Picture 4 ( 8 ).  You need the last 4 letters.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 12:02:45 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: May 19, 2024, 08:31:52 PM »
Joking apart, do you think I should remove it?

No, of course not!  Just winding you up.  As you say, chances of anyone on the forum planning on seeing it soon are pretty remote, but then again ....  >:D

Beautiful day here and more washing out.  We drive up to Edinburgh on Wednesday and fly next morning.  Just going for a week and looking forward to excellent pasta and gelato!  I have a big enough suitcase if you want to stow away although you would be placed in the hold which I imagine would be fairly uncomfortable, especially when you get lobbed on to the conveyor belt!!

Just going to change the bed now and swap over to summer duvet as I was roasting last night.  Ciao for now!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: May 19, 2024, 10:23:10 PM »

No, of course not!  Just winding you up. 

Oh Linda you are very naughty - but nice  :laugh:  >:D (now I'm going to spend the afternoon trying to remember what that was an advert for!)

It's a beautiful day here too.  I've just pegged my sheets on the line and there's a lovely breeze.  They'll be dry in no time.

I would love to stow away in your suitcase.  If you knocked me out cold I'd be fine.  I wouldn't know I was on a plane and wouldn't mind being hurled onto the conveyor belt  :laugh:  I'm very jealous of all that pasta and gelato  :-H  Scrummy.   Bangers and mash for me later.

I hope you have a fantastic time and I look forward to hearing about it when you get back.  Can you get a train to Florence? or is it too far away?

Ciao mia amica

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: May 19, 2024, 11:13:30 PM »

A bit of extra trivia,  The novel itself has been adapted into various films over the years, but the 1919 silent film stands as the first attempt to bring the adventure to the silver screen.  This version is now considered lost, which means that no known copies of the film exist today.  Since then several movies have been made based on the novel, four with the same title (1937, 1950, 1985, and 2004)  as your Rebus.

I will continue the biblical theme.  The subject of my rebus is a person who has been referred to by Pope Francis as the “Apostle of the Apostles”.

Hi Jack

That was an interesting bit of extra trivia.  I should have realised there would be more than one version of that film.

I enjoyed your nifty rebus  :)

I'm offering another film today.  It's a little bit older than me!

#3 7 (#4 + #3) 6 (#4 + #2)

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one and lose the first letter of picture two.  You need the first name of the character in picture four.  What might you say to Bonnie when you throw a ball? (five letters) Please use two consecutive letters from the middle and pretend it's all on one line.

I'm off now - Jan next door has just messaged to say the kettle's on  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: May 20, 2024, 03:48:38 PM »
I'm off now - Jan next door has just messaged to say the kettle's on  :)

Hi Pen,

I liked your rebus.

My rebus today is a structure, nicknamed “the giant” by the locals, and its location.  Linda might report on it when she returns from her holiday.

Word 1 .
 Component 1   Reverse the letters in the second word of Picture 1 ( 8  3 ).
 Component  2 ( 4 ). Replace the last letter in Picture 2 with the most common letter in the English language.

Word 2.  Use the first word of Picture 1.

Word 3. Use the last 2 letters of word 2.

Word 4.  Copy the last letter in Picture 3 ( 5 ) and insert it after the first vowel.

Word 5.  Reverse the last 2 letters in Picture 4 ( 6 ) and insert a “D” in front of them.

Word 6. 
 Component 1.  Discard the last 3 letters of Picture 4.
 Component 2. Picture 5 ( 3 ).

The M S Morris novels have been keeping me busy. I have read 13 books in less than two weeks. That's why I haven't been spending as  much time on the forum and the 7-by-many puzzles. They are very good books and I highly recommend them.  I now have to wait until the next one is published in August.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 03:58:14 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: May 20, 2024, 06:21:50 PM »
Can you get a train to Florence? or is it too far away?

We could easily get a train to Florence but I don't think we will as we have been before and pretty much seen everything we wanted to then and also it is so crowded.  Would happily go back to Verona but would want to go for more than a day - this time would book seats for the opera in the fantastic amphitheatre.  Did you ever see the Morse when he was there?  It is is beautiful.

We are thinking of having a couple of day trips to probably Modena and Padua - maybe Parma.  Not been to this part of Italy before and looking forward to it very much.  Might even try a glass or two of Italian dry white to wash down the copious amounts of pasta and gelato! 

I will leave a corner of my suitcase for you in case you overcome your fear of flying and decide to join us!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: May 20, 2024, 07:43:09 PM »

My rebus today is a structure, nicknamed “the giant” by the locals, and its location.  Linda might report on it when she returns from her holiday.

The M S Morris novels have been keeping me busy. I have read 13 books in less than two weeks. That's why I haven't been spending as  much time on the forum and the 7-by-many puzzles. They are very good books and I highly recommend them.  I now have to wait until the next one is published in August.

G'day Jack

Greetings from a slightly chilly and gloomy Milton Keynes Hospital.  The Met Office tells me that the sun will be out before lunchtime.

That was a cracking rebus.  I know it's going to be tricky when I have to get the pen and paper out  :laugh:

My rebus is something you might visit in Oxford - far removed from sunny Italy!

8 (#4 + #4) 6

You need the surname of the character in picture one and change the second letter to a different vowel.  What has the black knight in picture two got in his hand?  Please lose the first two letters and replace them with one from near the beginning of the alphabet.  Please lob an extra letter into picture three and we're all on one line. 
A bonus point if you can tell me how it is more commonly known.

Must do some work  >:D  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: May 20, 2024, 08:43:10 PM »
Would happily go back to Verona but would want to go for more than a day - this time would book seats for the opera in the fantastic amphitheatre.  Did you ever see the Morse when he was there?  It is is beautiful.

We are thinking of having a couple of day trips to probably Modena and Padua - maybe Parma.  Not been to this part of Italy before and looking forward to it very much.  Might even try a glass or two of Italian dry white to wash down the copious amounts of pasta and gelato! 

I will leave a corner of my suitcase for you in case you overcome your fear of flying and decide to join us!   >:D

I do remember Morse visiting Verona Linda. I'd like to re-watch that episode again.  Eve and I holidayed in Lake Garda a few years ago. (that was a train journey and a half  :laugh:)  We visited Verona and loved it in spite of the temperature being about 43oc.  We saw Juliet's balcony and the amphitheatre.  Weirdly Spandau Ballet were due to perform there that evening. 

You could always live dangerously and try a pinot grigio blush  >:D  That would help wash down a large portion of pasta and gellato  :laugh:

Thanks for saving me a little space in your case  :)