Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870253 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11025 on: May 10, 2024, 11:40:29 PM »

Did you outpace the slow-worms which are one of six reptile species native to the UK.  ;) Despite their name and appearance, they're neither worm nor snake, but in fact a legless lizard.

My rebus is a relatively new English church which was founded around 1110, although its interior dates chiefly from the late 18th century.  The church graveyard was used as a setting in Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula.

Hi Jack

It's even hotter here today phew!  When I drove away from Barbs' about an hour ago my car said 29o:o 

Thankfully I didn't see any scaly wriggly creatures on Wednesday!  I'd have probably run a mile!  Well that's not true - I'd have probably walked as quickly as I could away from them  :laugh:

My compliments on a very clever rebus  :)  Just tricky enough without being too impossible.

I'm against the clock today as I have to chauffeur Zoe to the pub a little bit later.  My rebus is a film from the 1970's.

#6 #6, 6 (#4 + #2) #6

Please use the surname of the lady in picture one.  Present tense for pictures two and five.  Picture three is probably my all time favourite cricketer  ;)  You need his surname (eight letters) Please replace the first two letters with just one from near the end of the alphabet and lose the last three letters. Please pretend it's all on one line.

That's all from me.  I've just got time for a quick cuppa.  This tickled me  ;D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:56:10 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11026 on: May 11, 2024, 02:53:54 PM »
Picture three is probably my all time favourite cricketer  ;) 

Hi Pen,

You surprise me nominating Andrew Flintoff as your favourite.  I thought it was that old bloke that needs a walking stick to complete his run up.  >:D

Given our seasonal locations, I guess I am dreaming of a warm day while you are wishing for a cool one.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11027 on: May 12, 2024, 12:11:59 AM »

You surprise me nominating Andrew Flintoff as your favourite.  I thought it was that old bloke that needs a walking stick to complete his run up.  >:D

Given our seasonal locations, I guess I am dreaming of a warm day while you are wishing for a cool one.

Picture three is probably my all time favourite cricketer  ;) 

Hi Jack

Another scorcher here today!  As my neighbour just pointed out to me we'd better make the most of it as we're back to normal come Monday  :laugh:

In my defence I did say 'probably'!  It's a difficult choice as I love them both so it's probably a draw!  Michael Vaughan comes in as runner up  :laugh:  Brendan McCullum has given the old bloke with the walking stick his marching orders  >:(  This will be his last summer in test cricket  :cry:

My offering today is a film from about 10 years ago.  I wont be watching it anytime soon!

3 6 (#4 + #2) #4: 3 6 (#3 + #3) 6 (#2 + #4)

THE:THE
Please lose the first letter of picture two and you need the surname of the gent in picture three. Present tense for picture five and lose the first letter and you need the spirit in picture seven.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

Those who jump off a bridge in Paris are in Seine.

Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.

A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Acupuncture is a jab well done.

The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

In the absence of anybody else to do it I'd better make my own tea!

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11028 on: May 12, 2024, 04:44:45 AM »
To The More or Les crew:  a sentiment worth repeating

Thanks for the all weather smiles

Thanks for the all weather smiles

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: May 12, 2024, 02:18:36 PM »
To Paula, whose cheer never fails,
Even when faced with gales or hails.
Your smiles, like sunshine, break through clouds,
Lifting spirits, dispelling shrouds.

In every clime, be it rain or shine,
Your grin's a beacon, eternally divine.
So here's our thanks, for joy you compile,
To the More or Les crew, you bring style.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: May 12, 2024, 03:57:30 PM »
Hi Pen,

If I am right about solving your rebus, the first in the series was ten years ago, the one you specified was two years ago.

I have finished the sixth book in the series about DCI Tom Raven.  The seventh is due for publication in August.  The authors, a husband and wife team, writing under the pseudonym M.S. Morris also have a series about Detective Inspector Bridget Hart set in Oxford.  When I finish this post I will get started on the first book in the series “Aspire to Die”.

I can’t think of any more news here, so I will bore you with a bit of trivia about Bletchley. 

A significant event in Bletchley’s history was the arrival of the London and North Western Railway in 1845 and its subsequent junction with the Oxford-Cambridge Varsity Line shortly afterwards.  In 1851, the population of the township of Bletchley was 443. The area was known for its longevity of inhabitants and for pillow lace making.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: May 12, 2024, 11:49:35 PM »

If I am right about solving your rebus, the first in the series was ten years ago, the one you specified was two years ago.

I can’t think of any more news here, so I will bore you with a bit of trivia about Bletchley. 

A significant event in Bletchley’s history was the arrival of the London and North Western Railway in 1845 and its subsequent junction with the Oxford-Cambridge Varsity Line shortly afterwards.  In 1851, the population of the township of Bletchley was 443. The area was known for its longevity of inhabitants and for pillow lace making.

Hi Jack

There's a good possibility that I might have to finish this post in the cupboard under the stairs  :laugh:  We've got thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon.

You are quite right about the vintage of that film.  I think I got the two films mixed up  :-R

They are in the process of re-building and re-opening the line between Oxford and Cambridge.  It will travel through Bicester, Bletchley and Bedford.  Heaven knows how long it'll be before it's finished.

My rebus sums up my morning.

#3 #4 #7 5 (#1 + #4) #4 #1 #7 #3

A
Please lose the first four letters of picture one and then lob in an apostrophe. Just one of picture two and make a homophone. What might you call the match between the two wrestlers in picture four? Please use the past tense for picture five and change the third letter to a different vowel.  We're all on one line.

Suivez La Piste?
John Windsor was flagged down by a gendarme in the Champs Elysee in Paris.  It was close to midnight and he was on his way back to his brother-in-law’s house in Rue Cler. The truth was inescapable, John was as drunk as a skunk.
The gendarme signals to him to wind down the window then asks John if he has been drinking, and with a slurring speech the Englishman replies; 'Yes, this morning I was at my (hic) daughter's wedding during the banquet I remember downing two great bottles of wine; a Corbieres, and a Minervois, oh and (hic)... sauternes with the cake.'  'Then to finish off during the celebrations in the evening ...me and my mate Trevor downed a bottle of cognac.'
Getting impatient the gendarme warns him; 'Do you realise I'm a policeman and have stopped you for a breathalyser test?'
John, with a grin on his face replies; 'You don’t seem to understand that I'm English, like my car, and that my teetotal wife is sitting in the other seat, at she’s at the wheel - not me!'
I found this by accident and it tickled me  :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 11:52:20 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: May 13, 2024, 10:11:26 PM »
It will travel through Bicester, Bletchley and Bedford.
Please use the past tense for picture five Six and change the third letter to a different vowel.   

Hi Pen,

I liked your Rebus.  Our Australian expression ends like a blue-arsed fly.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: May 14, 2024, 04:20:36 AM »

Please use the past tense for picture five Six and change the third letter to a different vowel.   

I liked your Rebus.  Our Australian expression ends like a blue-arsed fly.

Hi Jack

It's been a busy old Monday - as usual!

Thanks for spotting my stupid mistake.  I'm blaming it on the unusually hot weather - I was a bit frazzled!

I'm pleased to hear you liked my rebus  :)  I use your version as well as ours.

I loved the two Pickles - hilarious  :laugh:

Hoping for a gentler day tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 10:17:44 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: May 15, 2024, 01:03:55 AM »
Hi Jack

Girding my loins for an enjoyable afternoon on fracture clinic!  Have no idea how busy it's going to be so I'll plod along and hope to get this finished in a timely fashion  ;D

My rebus is a play from the 19th century.  There have been a number of films with the same title.

#4 11 (#4 + #2 + #5) #3

Please use the first name of the singer in picture one and drop the first and last letters. Picture two a noun rather than an adjective.  Picture three not who he is but what - six letters.  Please use the last two letters.  Past tense for picture four - nine letters.  Please lose the first four letters and change the d to a letter nearer the end of the alphabet & lob in an apostrophe. Please change the first letter of picture five and it's all on one line.

Nearly home time hurrah  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:06:17 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: May 15, 2024, 04:36:29 PM »
My rebus is a play from the 19th century. 

Hi Pen,

Congratulations on your rebus which reintroduced a touch of class to our rebuses.

My rebus today is the subject depicted in an enormous stained-glass window at Christ Church college chapel in Oxford.  It is a significant piece of religious art.

Interim Clue Word 1 (ICW 1) ( 5 ).  Picture 1.  The tool not the action.
Interim Clue Word 2 (ICW 2) ( 6 ).  Synonym of the Surname of the people in Picture 2 (4).

Word 1  ( 9 ). Picture 3. Not who but what.
Word 2  ( 7 ). Picture 4. First Name not of Kirk but his eldest son.
Word 3  ( 7 ). Picture 5 ( 6 ). Present participle.   Insert “S” as the first letter.
Word 4  ( 3 ). Discard the first two letters of ICW 1.
Word 5  ( 5 ). Picture 6.   
Word 6  ( 2 ). Use the first letters of ICW 2.
Word 7  ( 3 ). Same as word 4.
Word 8  ( 4 ). Discard the first two letters of ICW 2.
Word 9  ( 2 ). Discard the first two and last two letters of ICW 2 and reverse the letters left.
Word 10( 1 ). Use the second letter of ICW 2.
Word 11( 6 ). Picture 7.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 04:42:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: May 15, 2024, 09:58:25 PM »

Congratulations on your rebus which reintroduced a touch of class to our rebuses.

My rebus today is the subject depicted in an enormous stained-glass window at Christ Church college chapel in Oxford.  It is a significant piece of religious art.

Thanks Jack  :)  I was channeling my inner Hyacinth  :laugh:

I have an answer for your excellent rebus but am not convinced I've got it right.  It's been so busy on fracture clinic this morning my head feels like it's going to go pop  :laugh:
I'll have a proper look at it later.

Penx

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11037 on: May 16, 2024, 10:14:07 AM »
Well done, Penny and Jack.
You're making me work for the answers!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: May 16, 2024, 03:10:05 PM »
I have an answer for your excellent rebus but am not convinced I've got it right.

Hi Pen,

You probably did get it right but unfortunely I got the introduction wrong because I believed what I was told in the novel I was reading.

Spoiler alert.  If you want to see the answer to the rebus and how I was fooled, IT explains HERE.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: May 16, 2024, 10:50:09 PM »
Well done, Penny and Jack.
You're making me work for the answers!

We're happy to oblige Moyra  :laugh: