Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823083 times)

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10830 on: March 20, 2024, 01:16:28 PM »
Gotta check out this BB guy.

Thanks for sharing Madeline

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:31 PM »
Great discovery!  Just beginning to dig in.  favorite so far is Needles. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: March 20, 2024, 02:42:02 PM »
Hi Paula,

I think you have a wicked sense of humour. :D

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: March 20, 2024, 03:43:57 PM »
I have to say though, you come across as pretty sensitive. You’ll be giving Aussie rugby players a bad rep!

Hi Madeleine,

Any improvement has been the result of having a very good coach for the last sixty years.  June was always a one that could never resist a challenge.  Her friends told her I was too rough a diamond and she could never change me and moreover. any romance would not last a year.  She would be the first one to admit she still has a lot to do but I am grateful she is still trying.

Sixty years ago, “Name Calling”  that I used in a recent post would have been one of my favourite BB poems.  I loved the humour. But now I have read his poem “Refugees”, it is my current favourite until I can read some more of him.

It is my first experience of a reverse poem that can be read both forwards and backwards, giving two opposite perspectives.. It’s a powerful piece that showcases Bilston’s clever use of words and structure to make a statement on the subject of refugees. When read in reverse, the poem takes on a completely different meaning, highlighting the plight and humanity of refugees and reflects my feelings very much.

They have no need of our help
So do not tell me
These haggard faces could belong to you or me
Should life have dealt a different hand
We need to see them for who they really are
Chancers and scroungers
Layabouts and loungers
With bombs up their sleeves
Cut-throats and thieves
They are not
Welcome here
We should make them
Go back to where they came from
They cannot
Share our food
Share our homes
Share our countries
Instead let us
Build a wall to keep them out
It is not okay to say
These are people just like us
A place should only belong to those who are born there
Do not be so stupid to think that
The world can be looked at another way

(now read from bottom to top)
© Brian Bilston

I have to admit this one resonated with me and I got quite emotional, but this thread is not the place to sermonise, so I will leave it at that.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: March 20, 2024, 05:06:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying the Brian Bilston...with no analysing  required  ;)
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: March 20, 2024, 09:36:00 PM »
I have to say though, you come across as pretty sensitive. You’ll be giving Aussie rugby players a bad rep!

Hi Madeleine,

Any improvement has been the result of having a very good coach for the last sixty years.  June was always a one that could never resist a challenge.  Her friends told her I was too rough a diamond and she could never change me and moreover. any romance would not last a year.  She would be the first one to admit she still has a lot to do but I am grateful she is still trying.

Sixty years ago, “Name Calling”  that I used in a recent post would have been one of my favourite BB poems.  I loved the humour. But now I have read his poem “Refugees”, it is my current favourite until I can read some more of him.

It is my first experience of a reverse poem that can be read both forwards and backwards, giving two opposite perspectives.. It’s a powerful piece that showcases Bilston’s clever use of words and structure to make a statement on the subject of refugees. When read in reverse, the poem takes on a completely different meaning, highlighting the plight and humanity of refugees and reflects my feelings very much.

They have no need of our help
So do not tell me
These haggard faces could belong to you or me
Should life have dealt a different hand
We need to see them for who they really are
Chancers and scroungers
Layabouts and loungers
With bombs up their sleeves
Cut-throats and thieves
They are not
Welcome here
We should make them
Go back to where they came from
They cannot
Share our food
Share our homes
Share our countries
Instead let us
Build a wall to keep them out
It is not okay to say
These are people just like us
A place should only belong to those who are born there
Do not be so stupid to think that
The world can be looked at another way

(now read from bottom to top)
© Brian Bilston

I have to admit this one resonated with me and I got quite emotional, but this thread is not the place to sermonise, so I will leave it at that.

I love this one too. Nuff said.

June obviously spotted a good un and it warms my heart that she’s persisted in coaching you all these years ❤️ I think by now we can agree you’re a 💎
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 10:10:03 PM by Maudland »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: March 20, 2024, 09:53:12 PM »

I think you have a wicked sense of humour. :D

Hi Jack

I have to say that Madeleine's spot on.   In all these years I've known you, you've always been thoughtful, caring and sensitive to the feelings of others.  June's obviously a wonderful influence.

I really love Needles - clever and funny! Almost my favourite so far.  Also the Glove!  Like Moyra I'm enjoying Brian Bilston and no analysing required  ;D

It's a bit short and sweet from me as it's very hectic - just for a change  :laugh:  I'm very much looking forward to a few days off.
Penx
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:43:34 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: March 20, 2024, 11:23:26 PM »
Hi Pen,

Well, twelve days off.   We are all waiting to see what big plans you have to enjoy this period of freedom.

in the meantime a quatrain from ET in the style of BB to see you on your way.

So here's to joy, to peace, to rest,
to finding what makes you merry,
May your holidays be the very best,
like a sweet, ripe, juicy berry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:07:28 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: March 21, 2024, 06:54:53 PM »
Hi Pen,

A Brian Bilston poem with a story of an unlikely coincidence.

I was looking for a Brian Bilston poem when I saw that he has a page on Facebook.  Below the above poem on Facebook, in a list of the people who liked it, was a good friend of ours from Canberra who June and I correspond with several times a year.  She lost her husband, who was also a very good friend, last year.  They both doted on their cat, Maggie, much as we do on Bonnie.  What a small world it is.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:05:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: March 22, 2024, 01:59:15 AM »

Well, twelve days off.   We are all waiting to see what big plans you have to enjoy this period of freedom.

Not only 2 Pickles but a Brian Bilston poem with a story of an unlikely coincidence.

I was looking for a Brian Bilston poem when I saw that he has a page on Facebook.  Below the above poem on Facebook, in a list of the people who liked it, was a good friend of ours from Canberra who June and I correspond with several times a year.  She lost her husband, who was also a very good friend, last year.  They both doted on their cat, Maggie, much as we do on Bonnie.  What a small world it is.

Hi Jack

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit of a disappointment!  No big plans just some little diddly ones  :laugh:  I'm very much looking forward to not having to leap out of bed at 6.50 am and am meeting up with some old friends  :)

The Job Interview with a Cat is brilliant  ;)  Definitely my favourite so far by a country mile.  Apologies to Bonnie  :laugh:  It is a very small world.  What an amazing coincidence about your friend and Maggie  :)

My rebus today is a book from about 10 years ago.  It features two well loved characters but was not written by their original author.

#6 #3 #3 #7 #5

Please change the first and third letters of picture one. You need three consecutive letters from picture two.  The title of either gent in picture three and again three consecutive letters.  Please change the third letter of picture four.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

A cowboy rode into town & stopped at a saloon for a drink.  Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers.  When he finished his drink & went outside he found his horse had been stolen.
He went back into the bar & tossed his gun into the air & niftily caught it above his head before firing a shot into the ceiling.  "Which one of you yokels stole my horse?" he shouted at the top of his voice.
Nobody answered.
"Alright I'm going to have another beer, & if my horse ain't back outside by the time I finish, I'm gonna do what I dun in Texas!  And I don't like to have to do what I dun in Texas!"
Some of the locals shifted uneasily.
True to his word the cowboy finished his beer & went outside where his horse had been returned to the post.  He saddled up & started to ride out of town.  The bartender wandered out of the bar & said "say partner before you go... what happened in Texas?"
The cowboy turned back & said "I had to walk home."

Leave you with a very naff joke  ;D  I'm off to do something useful like put the kettle on!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 02:01:53 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: March 22, 2024, 03:47:18 PM »
HI Pen

Quote from: ET
**Ideas to Spice Up Your Leave**

In Redland Bay, as Easter nears,
A friend ponders how to spend your days.
Here's a list, to clear his fears,
Of ways to set your time ablaze.

Go biking at Chapel-en-le-Frith,
Where hills and dales will test your skills.
Or walk with Barbs, through Howe Park's myth,
And talk of life, and love, and thrills.

At Wavendon, the Stables await,
With live shows to stir your soul within.
Or Venya's hands, which do create
A massage that makes your head spin.

"Pretty Woman" at the theatre calls,
A tale of love that's sure to please.
While lunch at Grumpy Cook installs
A feast with friends, and endless cheese.

Ditch the pink muck, take a stand,
Sauv. Blanc's the upgrade you deserve.
And Nut & Squirrel's close at hand,
For dinner that will hit the curve.

So there you have it, a plan that's neat,
To spice up leave with joy and fun.
Each moment savoured, oh so sweet,
Until your splendid break is done.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:03:26 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: March 23, 2024, 01:25:37 AM »

**Ideas to Spice Up Your Leave**

Hi Jack

Having a lovely lazy Friday.  Been to see Barbs and had a walk - when it finally stopped raining!

I really enjoyed your clever poem - almost as much as the Interview With a Cat  >:D  :laugh:

I'm off to the Grumpy Cook on Monday.  Tuesday it's Miller & Carter in Shenley with an old friend for a steak  :-H and on Wednesday I'm meeting my old work friend Gill.  Venue to be decided!   So I have lots to look forward to.  Spookily we were only talking about The Stables at work earlier in the week.  Jane and her husband are going to see Richard Digance there next month.

I have to pop out in a little while so a quick and easy rebus today.  It's a fairly recent film.

#4 2 #5: #3 #4 #4

:
You need the first name of the cop in picture four and then please lose the last letter.  Position is vitally important!

Did you know that the Icelandic alphabet does not contain the letter z?
How do they sleep at night?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: March 23, 2024, 12:07:53 PM »
Hi Pen,

I am going to surprise you by constructing a rebus. Apart from being a movie from some time ago it is a musical being put on by a college theatre in Linda and Christine’s neck of the woods on 23-25 May.

#7 #3 #3 #9 #7

I have used pictures 2 and 3 from your rebus two days ago.  Use your clues - same answer.

ET is on a roll.  What do you think?

Bletchley’s Breath

In the shroud of dawn’s soft, rosy light,
Where Bletchley wakes from the cool night,
Streets unfurl like ribbons in the days,
A town where history whispers and sways.
🌤️
Bletchley Park, once secrets’ silent keep,
Now echoes with tales that no longer sleep,
Where codebreakers once weaved fates of war,
Now open doors invite to explore.
🔍
The Grand Union Canal, a mirror serene,
Reflects the dance of willows, so keen,
Boats glide gently, a tranquil parade,
By towpaths where memories never fade.
🚤
Milton Keynes Hospital, in its halls of care,
The fracture clinic mends what's laid bare,
Bones and spirits, with equal grace,
Restored by hands, the pain they erase.
🏥
The Blue Lagoon, nature’s azure gem,
Where wildlife thrums on every stem,
Birds take flight in the expanse of blue,
Singing the song of the morning dew.
🐦
Bletchley, your story, a tapestry rich,
From every brick to every ditch,
May your future be as bright as your past,
And your essence in our hearts forever last.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 02:58:57 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: March 24, 2024, 01:00:05 AM »

I am going to surprise you by constructing a rebus.

ET is on a roll.  What do you think?

Ditch the pink muck, take a stand,
Sauv. Blanc's the upgrade you deserve.

Hi Jack

To say I'm surprised would be understatement  :laugh:  I haven't had a Toblerone for years.  I wonder if they're still as good as they used to be.

ET is definitely on a roll.  I loved the latest effort  :)  Not wishing to detract from such a lovely piece, the town centre of Bletchley is, unfortunately, very sad and neglected now.  I had a lady at the door a couple of weeks ago from the Bletchley Park Residents Association.  She told me that our town is amongst the most run down in the country  :( In the 20 years since I left the Halifax it's gone downhill fast and many of the shops have closed.  My visitor told me that they had obtained a grant of several million pounds to try and rejuvenate the town centre. My only hope is that they spend it wisely.

Jan and Andy often walk Lucki round the Blue Lagoon. Bletchley Park is amazing and well worth a visit.  The canal runs through the park where Barbs and I walk. It's a very pretty area with lots of trees and a river as well. We set off for a walk again this morning.  It was cold and windy but sunny.  We'd only got halfway round our usual route when the heavens opened.  Not just nasty spiky rain but sleet as well  :o  We were soaked by the time we got back to hers.  Nothing a good cuppa couldn't put right :laugh:

I completely forgot to say that I took your advice.  I opened a bottle of Sauv Blanc from your neighbours across the water last night.  Very good it is too.  Have saved half to enjoy this evening >:D

I'm expecting number one daughter in a little while. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: March 24, 2024, 04:23:04 PM »
When I worked at the Halifax every year my boss would do my appraisal & it was nearly always the same!  Penny is resistant to change

Hi Pen,

If you worked for about 30 years for The Halifax and left them about 20 years ago, you must have still been a teenager when you started work with them.  Did you always work at the same Branch in Bletchley or did you work in several Branches?

If that boss knew you now, he would have to change his view, wouldn’t he?

I was sorry to hear about the decline of your city centre. 

ET tells me that “it is true that many towns and cities in England have experienced economic decline and urban decay in recent decades. According to a report by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, ten of the twelve most declining UK cities are in the north of England. There are many reasons for this decline, including the loss of traditional industries, such as manufacturing and mining, and the rise of service-based economies. Other factors include globalization, automation, and the decline of high streets due to the rise of online shopping. The government has recognized the need to address these issues and has launched a long-term plan for towns to help regenerate and revitalize struggling areas . The plan aims to tackle deep economic imbalances and create environments that attract more productive types of business and higher-skilled jobs.

Successful economic regeneration should change the offer a place makes to businesses. Places have weak economies because they struggle to attract or retain high-skilled businesses and workers in sufficient numbers. This results in low productivity, low wages, and poor career progression. The goal of a regeneration scheme should be to change the nature of an area, so that it offers something different to what it has done in the past”.

This would account for the money your visitor told you about.  I would have added the problem was not helped by The Iron Lady’s dry economics and disregard for the welfare of the ordinary workers.  This doesn't seem to have changed much by subsequent governments. I would also be sceptical that the long-term plan is likely to be achieved by the mob you have in charge at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:00:22 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack