Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 871064 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10590 on: February 04, 2024, 03:17:53 AM »
A word we both have in common with different meanings is 'buggerlugs'.  I though it originated in Yorkshire but, according to she who mustn't be mentioned, it comes from across the pond.

Hi Again, Pen,

Did Ms Google really say that Buggerlugs originated in America?

I first heard of the  farm-to-Plate concept from an English TV show some years ago {see Below).   I would have expected that it would have started a common practice.  There is an Australian copycat program.

The saying in your rebus must be English.  Aussies wouldn't be insensitive enough to say that about a person. :D

The River Cottage concept, originally established by British chef and food writer Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, revolves around sustainable and seasonal eating. Here are the key aspects of the River Cottage philosophy:

Locally Sourced Ingredients:

River Cottage emphasizes using ingredients that are locally produced, seasonal, and fresh. This reduces the carbon footprint associated with transporting food long distances and supports local farmers and producers.

The concept encourages people to explore what’s available in their region, from vegetables and fruits to meats and dairy products.

Self-Sufficiency and Connection to the Land:

At the heart of River Cottage is the idea of self-sufficiency. It encourages individuals to grow their own food, raise livestock, and connect with the land.
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall transformed a derelict farmhouse in Dorset, England, into a thriving smallholding where he practiced sustainable farming and cooking. His experiences were documented in the original River Cottage TV series.

Seasonal Cooking and Preservation:

River Cottage promotes cooking with ingredients that are in season. Seasonal produce tends to be more flavourful and nutritious.
The concept also encourages preserving surplus produce through techniques like pickling, fermenting, and canning.

Respect for Animals and Ethical Meat Consumption

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall advocates for ethical treatment of animals. He believes in using the whole animal and minimizing waste.
River Cottage encourages people to appreciate where their meat comes from, supporting local farmers who raise animals humanely.

Education and Community:

River Cottage is not just about cooking; it’s also about education. The farm hosts workshops, courses, and events to teach people about gardening, cooking, and sustainable living.

The community aspect involves sharing knowledge, collaborating with neighbours, and celebrating food together.
In summary, the River Cottage concept celebrates a holistic approach to food—from seed to plate—while promoting environmental consciousness and a deeper connection to nature. 🌿🍽️
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:29:31 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: February 04, 2024, 06:24:48 AM »

Did Ms Google really say that Buggerlugs originated in America?

I first heard of the  farm-to-Plate concept from an English TV show some years ago {see Below).   I would have expected that it would have started a common practice.  There is an Australian copycat program.

The saying in your rebus must be English.  Aussies wouldn't be insensitive enough to say that about a person. :D

I'm Back Jack!

I've just read your post and couldn't stop laughing.  Good job I hadn't got a drink in my hand  :laugh:  >:D

This is what I learnt from Ms Google.  There is, of course, every possibility that she's got it wrong  ;D
The earliest known use of the noun buggerlugs is in the 1830s. OED's earliest evidence for buggerlugs is from 1839, in Wabash Enquirer (Terre Haute, Indiana).
I would have bet a week's pocket money that it originated either here or in your neck of the woods.

I must admit that I'd completely forgotten about Hugh Fearnley Whatshisname and River Cottage. I didn't watch it when the programme was on the telly.

I'm going to search for a few words then decide on my viewing pleasure for this evening.  I have to report that I'm back on the pink muck this weekend!  It's a sauv blush from your near neighbours and very good it is too   >:D

Penx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:28:36 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: February 04, 2024, 12:07:55 PM »
This is what I learnt from Ms Google.  There is, of course, every possibility that she's got it wrong  ;D
The earliest known use of the noun buggerlugs is in the 1830s. OED's earliest evidence for buggerlugs is from 1839, in Wabash Enquirer (Terre Haute, Indiana)..  I would have bet a week's pocket money that it originated either here or in your neck of the woods.

Hi Pen,

Do you have Mortein in your neck of the woods?  Their Motto is "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Which is what I am going to do with Buggerlugs

I have no doubt that Ms Google and the OED have got it right about the first known use of the word but its use without knowing the context is not IMHO evidence that it was a common idiom in the area.

An alternative spelling in Australia is Bugalugs.  Here are a few quotes that are relevant.

“Bugalugs” is primarily associated with Australian English and is commonly used in Australia. While it may not be widely recognized or used outside of Australia, language is dynamic, and you might encounter it in other English-speaking contexts as well. However, its usage beyond Australia is relatively limited.
-------
It's usually spelled "buggerlugs", and although some attempts have been made to ascribe meaning to it, there really isn't one. It's an affectionate, comic, yet slightly coarse nickname for someone, usually a child or a younger person. It's meant to sound old-fashioned and nonsensical, and it does not have any sexual or offensive connotations.
"Oi, buggerlugs, come here!" = "I say, young person, would you mind coming over here?"
Although it is not really derogatory, you almost certainly would not use it as a nickname for someone you didn't know - at least, not to their face.

I wonder if either spelling is accepted in Chihuahua, and if not, should they be.  I have taken a leaf out of John’s book and referred the question to Alan in the appropriate Category.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:10:18 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: February 04, 2024, 01:04:42 PM »
Hi Pen,

My cheeky little rebus is a novel for children by a prolific Australian author whose  literary achievements include winning the prestigious Miles Franklin Award four times and being shortlisted for the Booker Prize twice.

3 8(#3 #1 #4) #3  #5

One line. Two slang words, one American.

The        

Picture 2.  Use one only vowel.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 01:10:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: February 04, 2024, 03:16:49 PM »
👍 👍 👍 👍
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: February 04, 2024, 09:49:30 PM »
I don't have either Siri or Alexa.

Me neither, Pen!  I do have Siri on my phone but rarely use it.  Don't own a Kindle either - I love books so much but don't want to read them on an electronic device and anyway how would I fill my bookshelves/bookcases?  I would really like a library but that's maybe going a bit far although the spare bedroom could be converted.  That's an idea ...  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: February 04, 2024, 10:51:04 PM »

I would really like a library but that's maybe going a bit far although the spare bedroom could be converted.  That's an idea ...  >:D

Oh Linda I was a bit down in the dumps this morning but you are always guaranteed to cheer me up and make me laugh.  Have you told your poor long suffering hubby about your plans for the spare bedroom?  :laugh:   >:D

I do have a kindle but have never used it for reading. Like you I prefer an actual book  :) I just play Scrabble and word games on it.  I like the slightly bigger screen when I'm in bed!

I boiled some eggs and bashed them up with our favourite condiment.  I have a lovely brown bap with ham and eggs for my lunch  :-H  I'm trying to resist the urge to eat it too early!

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: February 04, 2024, 11:15:43 PM »

Do you have Mortein in your neck of the woods?  Their Motto is "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Which is what I am going to do with Buggerlugs

I wonder if either spelling is accepted in Chihuahua, and if not, should they be.  I have taken a leaf out of John’s book and referred the question to Alan in the appropriate Category.

Hi Jack

We don't have Mortein over here.  I consulted herself to see what she has to say on the subject and it seems to be made by a company who used to go by the name of Reckitt and Colman.  My late brother-in-law, Chris, worked for them for many years.

I love both buggerlugs and bugalugs and I think we'll claim them as both Aussie and English  ;)  The spellcheck on my laptop is taking exception to both of them  :-R  Lets hope Alan gives them a rubber stamp!

I'm going to get my washing out of the machine and then scoff my lunch. Hopefully, I'll return in a little while.  Unless I'm abducted by aliens in the meantime  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: February 05, 2024, 01:19:53 AM »

My cheeky little rebus is a novel for children by a prolific Australian author whose  literary achievements include winning the prestigious Miles Franklin Award four times and being shortlisted for the Booker Prize twice.

I'm Back Jack

I've had another wrestle with your rebus which is very cheeky!  Got most of it - just haven't quite sorted it.

My rebus is also a novel. Published in the 1960's and not suitable for children. There's also an album with the same name from the 1980's.

#3 #5 2 #3 7 (#2 + #5)

You need to use three consecutive letters from the first part of the name of the lady in picture one.  Likewise the title of the gent in picture three and again use three consecutive letters. Please lose the last two letters of picture two.  You need the name of the film in picture four (I did try watching it once but never got to the end!) Finally, please make a homophone of the surname of the Welsh actor in picture five.  Position is vital.  If you're unsure who the actor is you can use this as a substitute.

Time for a cuppa :) Monday again tomorrow already  :o

« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 05:56:43 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: February 05, 2024, 04:26:24 AM »
1.   My rebus is also a novel. Published in the 1960's and not suitable for children.
2.   There's also an album with the same name from the 1980'
3.   Please lose the last two letters of picture three.

Hi Pen

1.The movie revolves around a deceased serial killer whose soul becomes entangled with artificial computer intelligence. After an electric surge, the killer’s consciousness ends up in a computer system, allowing him to continue his murderous spree using the electrical grid and computer. It provides an electrifying experience for viewers.  Are you sure this wouldn’t be suitable for children?  >:D

2.I don’t know why the Police had this title for an Album, but a movie was made of the book in the 90s.

3.Did you mean Picture 2?

:-Z :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: February 05, 2024, 05:55:08 AM »

1.The movie revolves around a deceased serial killer whose soul becomes entangled with artificial computer intelligence.

2.I don’t know why the Police had this title for an Album, but a movie was made of the book in the 90s.

3.Did you mean Picture 2?

I'm Back Again Jack

1.  I definitely wont be reading the book or watching the film!

2.  I don't know either  :laugh:

3.  Humblest of apologies - yes I did mean picture 2  :-R  Sorry if I flummoxed anybody.

Off to chase a few words.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: February 05, 2024, 08:32:19 PM »
Have you told your poor long suffering hubby about your plans for the spare bedroom?  :laugh:   >:D

Not yet, Pen. It might be the straw that breaks the camel's back after all his work on the kitchen and bathroom!  In any event, I have recently decided that the colour on our sitting room walls needs changing so that might have to be his next task.  I like painting but he doesn't trust to me to a good enough job as I'm apparently a bit slapdash in my approach!  Surely not?  Anyway, that will keep him occupied until it's fine enough to overhaul the garden which looks like a builder's yard at the moment!  I'm hoping for a small arbour where I can sit and admire my horticultural skills (zero at present but I'm planning to stuff a few plants in the garden and hopefully they will do their thing without much expertise on my part). >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: February 05, 2024, 10:44:43 PM »

I'm hoping for a small arbour where I can sit and admire my horticultural skills (zero at present but I'm planning to stuff a few plants in the garden and hopefully they will do their thing without much expertise on my part). >:D

Your fingers sound about as green as mine Linda  :laugh:  I like the sound of your small arbour.  Make sure you have a small table as well as a chair so that you have somewhere to put your glass of wine on a lovely warm summer's evening admiring your efforts  >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: February 05, 2024, 11:13:32 PM »
Make sure you have a small table as well as a chair so that you have somewhere to put your glass of wine on a lovely warm summer's evening admiring your efforts  >:D

That's the plan!  The reality may be me sat on an upturned bucket but still with a glass of wine in my hand, of course.  Long way to go before garden is arbour-worthy.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: February 05, 2024, 11:37:57 PM »

The reality may be me sat on an upturned bucket but still with a glass of wine in my hand, of course. 

If you've got two buckets you can always sit on one and park your glass of wine on the other  :laugh: