Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 871027 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10545 on: January 26, 2024, 02:12:18 PM »
Sheila and Blue now

Sheila and Blue in their forties

Sheila and Blue as teenagers.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:46:32 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: January 26, 2024, 03:11:34 PM »
I've been out for lunch with an old friend.  Fillet steak and chips with a red wine sauce at Miller and Carter.  It was superb :) I've never eaten so well as I have this week :laugh:

I have no rational reason for it but I'm a bit wary of AI.

Hi Pen, 

Which Miller and Carter was it?  Was it that the one in the Xscape Centre or the one in Burchard Crescent.  I am not a betting man but if I were, I would put two Bob on Burchard Crescent.

I guess there are two alternatives for handling things that you fear.  One is to stay away from them and to avoid their consequences.  The other is to confront your fear and and gain confidence and satisfaction if you beat it.  It depends on the chances of anything bad happening to you if you confront it.  My advise would be to avoid sky diving but to take a plane on your next holiday to Europe.

Here is your fix.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: January 27, 2024, 01:37:46 AM »

Which Miller and Carter was it?  Was it that the one in the Xscape Centre or the one in Burchard Crescent.  I am not a betting man but if I were, I would put two Bob on Burchard Crescent.

My advise would be to avoid sky diving but to take a plane on your next holiday to Europe.[/size]

Hi Jack

Your two bob would have been quite safe as it was the Miller and Carter on Burchard Crescent in Shenley Church End  :laugh:  I seem to remember you taking a turn to pick the gee gees when you were part of a syndicate when you lived in Bowral.

I know you're right and I should try and conquer my fear of flying.  I'm just worried about ruining Eve's holiday.  I can see me getting to the door of the plane and then making a run for it. Ridiculous and irrational I know  :(

Here's a rebus as promised.  It's a film from the 1990's.

9 (#5 + #4) 2 7 (#3 + #4)

Please lose the last letter of picture one and please lose the first two letters of picture four.  Position is vital.
I chose picture four as I have this in my fridge for ron  >:D  :laugh:

My neighbour Dave sent me a message saying he's visiting Argentina.  He said it's surprisingly cold there.
He signed off with "you could say it's bordering on Chile!"

Leave you with an exceedingly naff joke  ;D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: January 27, 2024, 12:40:04 PM »
I seem to remember you taking a turn to pick the gee gees when you were part of a syndicate when you lived in Bowral.

Hi Pen,

I hardly think that joining your mates in a betting syndicate or having an annual flutter on the Melbourne Cup makes me a dyed in the wool betting man  :D

Actually I was imagining you in the XScape Centre speeding down the slopes in Snozone. I understand it provides real snow on it's indoor slopes for all ranges of skiers.  Try as hard as I might, I couldn't get AI to do a video for me.  >:D

I was a bit disappointed that nobody commented on Blue and Sheila at three stages in their life.

You haven't lost your touch with the rebuses.  It was a good one.

I found some comments in Facebook on being British.   It didn't seem to be very credible to me.  What do you think?

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American Shows on a Japanese TV.  And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of all things foreign!

Only in Britain can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

Here is your fix.

And some variety for a change

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 12:42:00 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: January 27, 2024, 07:14:27 PM »
HI jack

I  honestly could not find anything positive about those pics of Sheila and Blue

In my mind I see Blue as a sort of Jack Thompson and Sheila as Denise Scott

And not one of them had wrinkle ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: January 27, 2024, 09:33:22 PM »

I hardly think that joining your mates in a betting syndicate or having an annual flutter on the Melbourne Cup makes me a dyed in the wool betting man  :D

Actually I was imagining you in the XScape Centre speeding down the slopes in Snozone. I understand it provides real snow on it's indoor slopes for all ranges of skiers.  Try as hard as I might, I couldn't get AI to do a video for me.  >:D

I was a bit disappointed that nobody commented on Blue and Sheila at three stages in their life.

You haven't lost your touch with the rebuses.  It was a good one.

I found some comments in Facebook on being British.   It didn't seem to be very credible to me.  What do you think?

Sheila and Blue now

Hi Jack

A quick post while I'm waiting for number one daughter to arrive.

I'm not sure how it happened but I forgot to comment on the pictures in my last post  :-R  The picture of Blue reminded me a bit of Don Johnson  :laugh: In my head I expected Sheila to be a bit rough round the edges and not quite so perfect.  If that makes any sense.

I remember there being a racehorse years ago called Gambling Boy and I was trying, and obviously failing, to make a pun out of it :laugh:

I haven't visited the Xscape for yonks.  I have watched the skiers and snowboarders but I didn't realise it was real snow :o  Knowing my luck if I tried it I'd break a leg!

I totally agree with you about the comments on being British.  Some are funny but not very credible.

The cat in your cartoon tickled me  :laugh:  Just heard Zoe's car pull up.  Better get moving!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: January 27, 2024, 10:29:54 PM »
I totally agree with you about the comments on being British.

Me too, Pen!  However, these days finding a bank with or without chained pens is about impossible in our neck of the woods!  I suppose it's because of online banking but it does seem a shame that so many banks are closing and being turned into flats/coffee shops.

Having a culling books day (again). Just bought a new bookcase and am going to spend a happy hour or two filling it!  Hubby's books will rather spoil the effect but I am trying to hide his in unobtrusive areas!

On another note entirely, does anyone know why my washing machine will not start straight away?  It's a Bosch Series 2 and keeps flashing up 4kg when I try to set it off on a one hour cycle.  It's so bloody annoying.  After much fiddling and cursing, it does start but I don't know why or how it suddenly behaves itself and am threatening to throw the flaming thing out.   >:(

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: January 28, 2024, 02:46:47 AM »

Me too, Pen!  However, these days finding a bank with or without chained pens is about impossible in our neck of the woods! 

Having a culling books day (again). Just bought a new bookcase and am going to spend a happy hour or two filling it!  Hubby's books will rather spoil the effect but I am trying to hide his in unobtrusive areas!

On another note entirely, does anyone know why my washing machine will not start straight away? 

Oh Linda once again you have made me roar with laughter!! It would be a great pity to spoil the aesthetic appearance of your lovely new bookcase with hubby's books  :laugh:  >:D

Once upon a time we had 2 Nat Wests, Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC, Abbey National, TSB, Halifax and Nationwide in Bletchley.  Now we have just Lloyds and Nationwide.  The Halifax where I worked for nearly 30 years closed recently. As you rightly say it's down to on-line banking.  Some of the buildings are just standing empty.

I have an oldish Hotpoint washing machine.  I did consult Ms Google about your problem.  Unsure if it's any help.  The first thing I found was that the child lock might be activated.  The second thing I found was an instruction on how to reset the machine.
Unplug your Bosch washing machine from the wall and press and hold the on/off button for 5 seconds.  Then plug the washing machine back in and turn it on.  Select the 'reset' option from the menu and follow the on-screen instructions.
Another website said the start button is held down for too short or too long!! The optimum time is to press it for one to two seconds!  The last thing I found was an instruction to unplug the washing machine for 30 minutes and then turn it back on.

Have no idea if any of this will help Linda.  Worth a try as you've nowt to lose.

Hope your bookcase is looking pristine  ;D

Penx

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: January 28, 2024, 02:59:45 AM »
 Hi Penny and Linda
So once again what used to be a piece of practical machinery has become a confusing computerised pile of annoyance! My relatively new Hoover washing machine has no apparent means to stabilise it and therfore tries to escape out of the utility room door whilst spinning. I can't use a decent spin speed because the floor might disintegrate and as I have to hug the machine to stop it escaping I would get vibration white finger(and every other bit) if I went above 900. Hence I am currently looking at two very very wet bath sheets!
Christine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: January 28, 2024, 06:37:26 AM »
Oh Christine how very frustrating.  One of my old washing machines used to creep across the kitchen floor if you selected a high spin speed and sounded like it was preparing for take off.  Drove me crackers. Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: January 28, 2024, 10:33:10 AM »
I see Blue as a sort of Jack Thompson and Sheila as Denise Scott.
And not one of them had wrinkle.

Hi Carol,

Jack Thompson would have been perfect, if only he had red Hair. Same goes for Michael Caton.

I don’t know much about Denise Scott, but I don’t see her as Sheila.  I could imagine Ruth Cracknell, same gift for humour but demonstrated over a long career great intellect and strength of will.  You would need all that and good doses of integrity, self-respect, nurturing, and forgiveness to live with a character like Blue.  I have that on good authority.

As for wrinkles they are skin deep.

I think that on reflection, it was a mistake to put images on Blue and Sheila.  It would be better if people let their imagination to see them how they will.

After the Taylor Swift revelations, it is probably not a good time to be an advocate for AI. >:D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 01:00:55 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: January 28, 2024, 09:36:10 PM »
Hi Christine, we had a similar problem, cured it with a vibration mat from Amazon that the machine sits on, aided by 2 folded hand towels stuffed between the machine and the 2 sides of the cupboard the machine sits in, worked a treat.
Tony

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: January 28, 2024, 09:59:03 PM »
Oh Linda once again you have made me roar with laughter!! It would be a great pity to spoil the aesthetic appearance of your lovely new bookcase with hubby's books  :laugh:  >:D

Once upon a time we had 2 Nat Wests, Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC, Abbey National, TSB, Halifax and Nationwide in Bletchley.  Now we have just Lloyds and Nationwide.  The Halifax where I worked for nearly 30 years closed recently. As you rightly say it's down to on-line banking.  Some of the buildings are just standing empty.

I have an oldish Hotpoint washing machine.  I did consult Ms Google about your problem.  Unsure if it's any help.  The first thing I found was that the child lock might be activated.  The second thing I found was an instruction on how to reset the machine.
Unplug your Bosch washing machine from the wall and press and hold the on/off button for 5 seconds.  Then plug the washing machine back in and turn it on.  Select the 'reset' option from the menu and follow the on-screen instructions.
Another website said the start button is held down for too short or too long!! The optimum time is to press it for one to two seconds!  The last thing I found was an instruction to unplug the washing machine for 30 minutes and then turn it back on.

Have no idea if any of this will help Linda.  Worth a try as you've nowt to lose.

Hope your bookcase is looking pristine  ;D

Hi Pen

Bookcase is looking lovely and have relegated hubby's books to the bottom shelf so they're not staring you in the face!  I tried to suggest that he keeps his books upstairs but he didn't seem to go much on that idea.  I will just have to keep my gaze at eye level!

We don't have a bank at all in our town now and have just learned that the two nearest to us are going to close.  I think the Post Office is taking on a lot of the bank's business - at least we still have a Post Office, for the moment.  Oh, and of course we do have a Harry Potter shop! Why??  Some extremely tenuous link apparently. Don't ask me, I'm not a Potter nerd.

Thank you so much for your endeavours to find a solution to my washing machine problem.  I think we may have tried switching off at wall etc but will certainly try again and see if it produces any results.  We  have looked through the manual and can make head nor tail of the damned thing.  Our old machine worked perfectly until it packed up!  Oh well, at least I don't have Christine's vibration problem!

Enjoy your sunny Sunday.  >:D

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: January 28, 2024, 11:05:28 PM »
A point of interest....we had an issue with our smart television. The troubleshooting suggestion was to unplug it for 30 seconds then plug it in and turn on the power (at the wall) then restart the TV. I thought I had done this and hadn't solved the problem. Then I tried physically removing the plug from the socket etc....problem fixed. Actually "unplugging" is key to the resetting, apparently.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: January 29, 2024, 12:15:51 AM »

Bookcase is looking lovely and have relegated hubby's books to the bottom shelf so they're not staring you in the face!  I tried to suggest that he keeps his books upstairs but he didn't seem to go much on that idea.  I will just have to keep my gaze at eye level!

Oh, and of course we do have a Harry Potter shop! Why??  Some extremely tenuous link apparently. Don't ask me, I'm not a Potter nerd.

Thank you so much for your endeavours to find a solution to my washing machine problem.  I think we may have tried switching off at wall etc but will certainly try again and see if it produces any results.

Enjoy your sunny Sunday.  >:D

I'm pleased to hear that you're channeling your inner Hyacinth again Linda  >:D  :laugh:  I can't help it but you do crack me up  :laugh:  :laugh:

Unsurprisingly I'm not a Potter nerd either.  No idea why you need a Harry Potter shop.  Seems a bit odd. A lot more useful than a bank of course  :-R

If you haven't already done so it might be worth trying Moyra's tip and actually unplugging the wretched washing machine from the wall.

I hope you're enjoying this beautiful sunny day.  I went out for a walk earlier as I wasn't sure if it was going to last.

Jacket spud for tea later.  Thought it would make a change as I haven't had one for yonks!

Penx
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:17:50 AM by Hobbit »