Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 865812 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10305 on: November 21, 2023, 02:02:30 AM »

Great rebus.  I assume, because you mentioned Linda, that you were watching your favourite TV series and not the NETFLIX adaptation of the C.S. Lewis book.  If Linda wasn't watching, you could always take up your pen and tell her. :D

Nobody was more surprised than me when we got up in India.  I was so sure we would lose that I didn't even watch it'

My rebus is a current golfer who I barrack for even though he is not Australian.  I enjoyed watching him in action over the weekend.

Hi Jack

Not sure what to expect this afternoon or how busy it'll be.  So I'm just going to plod on with my post and cross my fingers.

I knew Linda would turn up - especially if there's a mention of Midsomer! We are aficionados you know and like a pair of bad Pennies  >:D  :laugh:

What a great shame you didn't watch the cricket final  :(

I also watched the gent who is the subject of your rebus over the weekend  :)   A great golfer and I was cheering him on as well.

I got your rebus in about two minutes flat but am struggling with the riddle and the number puzzle.  I shall return to them a bit later on  :)

I was a bit stumped for a rebus today.  This is a film my colleagues were talking about in the viewing room a few minutes ago.

9 (#6 + #3) #3 6 (#3 + #3) 2 #3 #8

OF
Please discard the third and last letter of picture three.  Just one of picture four and lose the first letter of picture five.  How might you address the gent in picture six if you were a good mate?  Please pretend it's all on one line.

If the Mayflower brought the Pilgrims, what brought their dogs?
The Collie-flower!

Exceedingly naff joke of the day  ;D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 02:06:10 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: November 21, 2023, 02:24:54 AM »

I have dabbled in watercolours but I'm afraid I'm a bit heavy handed.  Fare better with oils.  Haven't painted for a while though ... perhaps when I've retired I'll take it up again.  I did have a fancy for learning to make things out of stained glass but a woman I spoke to said her friend did it and her hands were absolutely ruined!  May be worth the risk though.  Back to my wall painting - have left a streak or two so hubby will have to sort those out!  >:D

Oh Linda I'm very jealous.  I wish I could paint but I don't have an artistic bone in my body :(  Our twin genes let us down on that one!
The stained glass sounds like a great idea.  I suppose you couldn't really wear some sort of protection on your hands as it would make the glass difficult to handle.

Your hubby's a diamond - I'm sure he'll sort your streaky bits  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: November 21, 2023, 04:12:24 PM »
We are aficionados you know and like a pair of bad Pennies >:D :laugh:

Hi Pen,

I think one bad Penny is more than I can Handle. >:D :laugh:

Did you hear that two subcontinent heroin addicts are in intensive care in your hospital. They injected themselves with curry powder by mistake - One has a dodgy tikka and the other one is in a korma.

Meanwhile, one of your doctors was giving a lecture on 'Involuntary Muscular Contractions' to a class of first-year nurses. Realising this was not the most riveting subject, the Doctor decided to lighten the mood slightly. He pointed to a young woman in the front row who was on a working holiday from Brisbane and said, 'Do you know  what your arsehole is doing, while you're having an orgasm?' 

She replied, 'Probably fishing with his mates.' 

It took some time to restore order.

Guess the next three letters in the series GTNTL.
There is a word in the English language in which the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four signify a great man, and the whole word, a great woman. What is the word?

And I’ll leave you with

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: November 21, 2023, 08:20:58 PM »
Your hubby's a diamond - I'm sure he'll sort your streaky bits

Is sorting out as we speak but not without a fair bit of moaning!!  >:D

I'd hardly say I was artistic, Pen, but I like to dabble a bit and do love art.  So jealous of most of the painters on Portrait Artist of the Year - what a fantastic talent to have. 

Off to exercise my fantastic talent of touch typing later today!  ;) >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: November 21, 2023, 10:50:23 PM »

Is sorting out as we speak but not without a fair bit of moaning!!  >:D

I'd hardly say I was artistic, Pen, but I like to dabble a bit and do love art.  So jealous of most of the painters on Portrait Artist of the Year - what a fantastic talent to have. 

Off to exercise my fantastic talent of touch typing later today!  ;) >:D

Is he muttering and chuntering?  :laugh:  >:D
You've tickled me and cheered up a cold, drizzly old day :)

I love a bit of art but I'm very much an "I like what I like!" person.  I like the eyes to be in the right place and two of them  >:D

That's one thing I am good at - a bit of touch typing and some very rusty shorthand!  Don't work too hard this afternoon and don't take any nonsense from the farmery farmers  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: November 22, 2023, 02:27:08 AM »

I think one bad Penny is more than I can Handle. >:D :laugh:

Hi Jack

It's audit this afternoon which, in theory, means that I should be having forty winks or getting on with my post :laugh:  I've had only a handful of patients but several problems to sort out.

Just think how quiet and boring life would be without me to entertain you  >:D

I'm baffled by your first puzzle but have managed to solve the second  :)

My rebus is a children's book.  Many apologies if I've used it before.

#5 8 (#5 + #3) #2 1 #6 7 (#5 + #2)

A

Please change the first letters of pictures one and two.  You need the middle two letters of picture four and one homophone. All on one line please.

A man walks into a pub carrying a crocodile and a duck. He sets them down on the stool next to him, and says to the rather worried looking barman "I'll have a Scotch and Soda please."
Then the crocodile says "And I'll have a Whiskey Sour."
The barman is astounded and says "That's incredible I've never seen a crocodile that could talk!"
The man shrugs and says "He can't the duck is a ventriloquist."

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: November 22, 2023, 04:14:50 PM »
My rebus is a children's book.  Many apologies if I've used it before.

Hi Pen,

You used a book with the same heroine – last time she was a complete catastrophe.  Both it and your current one is of a very high standard.  Here is a bit of trivia.  The author is the Great-great-great-granddaughter of William Makepeace Thackeray.

It might surprise you to know Blue and Sheila often go to church on a Sunday.  One Sunday, The pastor announced, "If you know your wife is controlling you, move to the left". All the men in the church moved to left except Blue. The pastor was happy there was at least one strong man, and asked, “How come your wife can't control you?"  Blue quietly replied, "Sheila told me not to move".

My rebus is a 1970s revisionist western that has been praised for its attention to detail and period atmosphere.

#3  9(#3 #6) #6 #2.

Conceptionally one line.
Picture 1. One word. Remove the first 3 letters.
Picture 2. One word. Replace the first letter with the one immediately following it in the alphabet and discard the last letter.
Picture 5.  Replace the third letter with a full stop.

And I’ll leave you with

« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 04:24:36 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: November 22, 2023, 08:24:44 PM »
Is he muttering and chuntering?

Oh, yes!  Does a fair bit of that especially where DIY tasks are involved.  I often think he's talking on the phone but he's just chuntering away to himself.  To be fair, he does have a lot to put up with living with me!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: November 22, 2023, 11:25:41 PM »

Oh, yes!  Does a fair bit of that especially where DIY tasks are involved.  I often think he's talking on the phone but he's just chuntering away to himself.  To be fair, he does have a lot to put up with living with me!!  >:D

Sounds like a man after my own heart Linda.  I could win a gold medal for muttering and chuntering  :laugh: 
But life is never boring though is it?   :laugh:

So cold today - am perished :(  Roll on lunchtime  :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: November 23, 2023, 02:50:32 AM »

You used a book with the same heroine – last time she was a complete catastrophe.  Both it and your current one is of a very high standard.  Here is a bit of trivia.  The author is the Great-great-great-granddaughter of William Makepeace Thackeray.

It might surprise you to know Blue and Sheila often go to church on a Sunday. 

My rebus is a 1970s revisionist western that has been praised for its attention to detail and period atmosphere.

Hi Jack

That was a very enjoyable, funny and informative post  :)  I've sorted your rebus with a little assistance from the unpredictable Ms Google and searching about in the archives of my memory :laugh:  I seem to be missing picture three.

My rebus is a TV series from the year Zoe was born.  I liked the title but got a bit confused and thought it was a film  :-R

10 (#3 + #7),  #5, 7 (#3 + #4) 3 #6

Please use one of picture one and you need the character with the cigarette in picture two.  Please reverse picture four and ignore the man with the fish in picture five. Second part of what your left with.  The horse in picture six won the Grand National three times.  Please reverse his name and pretend it's all one one line.

“I mixed up the cardiac resuscitation equipment with the lie detector, but I will de-fib you later.”

Nearly time to go home  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: November 23, 2023, 06:35:24 PM »
My rebus is a TV series from the year Zoe was born.  I liked the title but got a bit confused and thought it was a film  :-R
[That's one thing I am good at - a bit of touch typing.

Hi Pen,

The mini-series was based on a book of roughly the same name, but I can’t find a film that might have been a remake. 

I have been meaning to ask.  I assume Zoe’s birthday is close to yours because you have mentioned several times the annual birthday massage you both treat yourself to.

I am definitely a two-finger man and very slow.  Hence, I try to keep my typing in posts to a minimum.

And I’ll leave you with this.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: November 24, 2023, 02:40:37 AM »

The mini-series was based on a book of roughly the same name, but I can’t find a film that might have been a remake. 

I have been meaning to ask.  I assume Zoe’s birthday is close to yours because you have mentioned several times the annual birthday massage you both treat yourself to.

I am definitely a two-finger man and very slow.  Hence, I try to keep my typing in posts to a minimum.

Hi Jack

As long as you employ the two fingers just for the purposes of typing!  >:D  :laugh:

Zoe's birthday is 30th September so a little over three weeks before mine.

Glad you didn't find a film with that title! At least I know I'm not going completely mad  :laugh:

I've had a busy morning and been for a walk.  It was lovely and sunny here but the wind is a bit chilly and windy!

A quick rebus from me today. Bit easy peasy!  It's the opening line of a novel written in the 1970's.

#2 #3 1 #4 #3 #6 #5

A

You need the film in picture one and reverse picture two.  Please change the first letter of picture three and you're looking for an adjective for picture five.  One homophone (either in the last picture) and we're all on one line.

The book is...1 #7 2 #4

A

Pictures one and three give you the last word and you need to think singular for the second picture please.  Position is important.

I may be awol for a couple of days.  I've seeing Barbs tomorrow morning and I've got a gent coming round to sort out a few jobs that need doing in the afternoon.  Zoe's taking me to Oxford on Saturday to visit the elderly rellies  :)

Leave you with these  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: November 24, 2023, 12:09:12 PM »
I have dabbled in watercolours but I'm afraid I'm a bit heavy handed.  Fare better with oils.  Haven't painted for a while though ... perhaps when I've retired I'll take it up again.

Oh Linda I'm very jealous.  I wish I could paint but I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

Hi Pen,

Blue was late sending me the Pickles Cartoons that you like this morning, so I thought I would spend the time waiting by thinking about the exchange between you and Linda on painting.

I found this interesting quote on Watercolours.
Watercolour paintings have been gaining popularity in recent years. They are a versatile medium that can be used for a wide range of projects, from detailed illustrations to loose and expressive abstract paintings . Watercolours are also relatively inexpensive and readily available, making them a great option for beginner painters . In the hands of a master, watercolour paintings can produce effects which no other medium can match. The immediacy of the medium and the way the pigment responds on paper to the artist’s personal emotional response to the subject is what makes watercolour a master medium. It is as direct of a medium as can be, there can’t be any hesitancy while painting . Certain colours do things with other colours when placed down and many things happen on dry and wet surfaces that you just can’t explain 1. It is only after a great number of years painting with this wonderful medium that you start to begin to understand many of its fine qualities.

It struck me that you might be so modest about your artistic abilities because you probably had never given it a red hot go.  So I thought I would chance my arm at a poem to encourage you to have a go.

If you're scared to take chances,
You'll never have the answers.
You'll never know what you could be,
Or what you could have mastered.

The fear of failure can be strong,
But it's important to push through.
For every time you take a chance,
You'll learn something new.

It's okay to make mistakes,
And to stumble along the way.
For every time you fall down,
You'll be stronger the next day.

So don't be afraid to take chances,
And to try something new.
For every time you take a risk,
You'll be one step closer to the truth.

Blue has finally come good.

This post is already to long, so I’ll leave you with this.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 03:22:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: November 24, 2023, 06:04:02 PM »
Hi again, Pen

My conscience got the better of me and I decided to return to post a rebus.

The subject is a 1975 movie I wouldn’t go to see if you paid me.

#3  #3  9( 5 #4)

Conceptually one line: position imperative, position preposition not pictured.

Picture 3. Synonym of Picture 1.  Discard the first 3 letters.

And I will leave you with.

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: November 24, 2023, 08:05:32 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, Jack.  Believe me, I have tried but without any great success.  Have recently heard about oil paint crayon type things and think these would suit my heavy handedness far better than delicate watercolours.  Anyway, for the moment, splashing silk emulsion on walls is about as artistic as I am getting! >:D

So excited because new carpet is arriving next Friday, Pen!  Have to say that the Shark will get a good workout then but from its performance so far I feel it is not quite up to the Dyson we used to have.

Off to buy some Mint Cake later this morning, Jack!!  Not really; it's vile!  >:D