Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 866525 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10230 on: November 03, 2023, 03:33:33 AM »

Damn, I knew I forgot something.  There was Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon but no Chateau La Coste Provence Grand Vin Rosé.  Perhaps, next time.

I think that, generally, Blue is a pretty smart bloke but in one situation he is few stubbies short of a six-pack. 

In lieu of a rebus, here are a couple of pictures of my favourite dog.

Hi Jack

Does the Sauv Blanc come from your neighbours across the way?  In which case I'll be more than happy with that  >:D

Blue is incorrigible but so bloody funny with it  :laugh:  :laugh:

Have I mentioned that we have some sort of international AI conference at Bletchley Park?  Elon Musk and some world leaders and other VIPs.  I can honestly say I've never seen so many coppers in Bletchley as I've seen today and the last week! (probably in total over the last 50 odd years :laugh:)  In vans, cars, on foot and even on push bikes :laugh:  They've been drafted in from all over the country. Have to say that most of them looked bored stiff. Zoe heard a news report that said the summit was being held in a remote leafy bit of the countryside.  Hilarious.  We're in Milton Keynes and not in the countryside by any stretch of the imagination.  We do have a few trees though >:D

A couple were having dinner in a fine restaurant. Their waitress, taking another order at a table a few paces away suddenly noticed that the man was slowing sliding down his chair and under the table, but the lady sitting opposite seemed unconcerned. The waitress watched as the man slid all the way down his chair and out of sight under the table. Meanwhile the lady with him appeared calm and unruffled, apparently unaware that her dining companion had disappeared.
After the waitress finished taking the order, she came over to the table and said to the lady, "Excuse me madam, but I think your husband just vanished under the table." The lady calmly looked up at her and replied firmly, "No he didn't. My husband just walked in the door."

I don't have any cute pictures to offer in lieu of a rebus.  Just this very naff joke  ;D
Leave you with this.  It's pouring with rain and howling a gale here and nearly dark.  It's only 4.30  :(

« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 03:37:06 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: November 03, 2023, 03:08:33 PM »
Hi Jack.
Thanks for your Martin Beck post. I had screenshot your October 31 post so I could find the details easily when I'm ready to try the series. I'll let you know my opinion in due course.
I love The Forum for so many reasons.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: November 03, 2023, 09:16:49 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm off to visit my friend and former work colleague, Gill for lunch.  She's living in the wilds of Northamptonshire in a cottage by the canal in Stoke Bruerne, just for a short while.  They've bought a house in nearby Roade but they wont be able to move in for a few weeks so it's a short term fix. It's only about a 20/30 minute drive but slightly out of my comfort zone  :laugh:

I'm going to attempt a quick rebus before I set off.  It'll probably end in tears if I'm trying to rush!
I've been this a few times  :laugh:
#5 #2 #4 #3 6 (#3 + #3)

Past tense for picture four and please re-arrange the letters.  Please lose the first letter of picture six. Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

🚨BREAKING NEWS🚨

Storm Ciaran has blown the roof off our local cheese factory...

There's de brie everywhere!

I must get moving  :-C

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: November 03, 2023, 11:13:39 PM »
Hi Penny.
Not an expression I'm familiar with...but I understand it completely. A great puzzle!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: November 03, 2023, 11:44:08 PM »
Does the Sauv Blanc come from your neighbours across the way?  In which case I'll be more than happy with that  >:D
Blue is incorrigible but so bloody funny with it  :laugh:  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

When it comes to wine, I rarely drink anything which is not Australian  except for Sauv Blanc when I rarely drink anything which is not from the south island of NZ.  So between you and Zoe you would approve of the wine I unpacked.

There is no doubt that Blue is a larrikin who sprouts a lot of bulldust but he has a heart of gold and if you were down and out he would give you the shirt off his back.  And sometimes he can surprise by being quite deep and analytical.

This afternoon when he came around to see me he was more thoutful than usual.  Apparently, he had watched the State Funeral of one of Australia’s great men on TV.  He said, ”I never met him, but  the common theme in the eulogies given by an ex-prime minister, the current Prime Minister, and a 98 YO nun who had known him for 60 odd years was that despite all the honours and high positions that he had achieved, he was basically a modest man who had worked hard as a politician, not for self-aggrandisement, but to achieve a better country for the less well off.  The guy that gave the sermon urged the congregation to emulate Bill and to make themselves the best they could be not only for themselves but for the greater Australian public, particularly those doing it tough.   I found the whole thing moving.  Do me a favour and do a rebus quoting a bit of scripture they used”. 

I agreed.

My rebus is a response to Blues request.  I have chosen a segment of a popular Psalm.
He leads me beside still waters

#2 #5 #2 6(#2 #4) #4 #6

Conceptually one line.

Picture 1.  One word (3).  Discard last letter.
Picture 2. One word (4).Make a homograph plural.
Picture 3. One word (5). Discard last 3 letters.
Picture 4. One word (4). Discard last 2 letters.
Picture 5.  One word (6). Past tense. Make Homophone.

And I’ll leave  you with this.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: November 04, 2023, 12:02:04 AM »
I've been this a few times  :laugh:

Hi Pen and Moyra,

I am familiar with the saying.  I agree great rebus.  A variation of the phrase occurs in Hamlet act 3, scene 4,] as a part of one of Hamlet's speeches in the Closet Scene.

I am knackered so must go.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 12:18:45 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: November 04, 2023, 12:39:41 PM »
I'm off to visit my friend and former work colleague, Gill for lunch.  It's only about a 20/30 minute drive but slightly out of my comfort zone  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

Good for you getting out of your comfort zone.  Did you go by Northampton Road which seems to have a number of roadworks on it which could add another 30 minutes or so to your trip?  or did you go a different way?

I told Blue about your outing and willingness to stretch your comfort zone.  While I had him in a serious mood, I asked for his thoughts.  He told me he couldn’t be serious on an empty stomach but if I gave him a beer, he’d be willing to venture an opinion.  In between the inevitable Blue banter, I think this is an accurate precis of what he said.

Sure, I reckon broadening social activities can be good for the health and happiness of people, especially those living alone. According to some shrinks, living alone can be bad for a person’s mental wellbeing, such as increased boredom, loneliness, and low life-satisfaction. However, if you use your nouse you can avoid these by getting stuck into meaningful, productive, and enjoyable activities with others.

•    Being in paid work caring for others, which can provide a sense of purpose, belonging, and support.
    •    Getting stuck into volunteer work and maintaining active memberships of sporting or community organisations, which can foster social connections, altruism, and physical fitness.
    •    Seeing friends and relatives regularly, particularly over a feed, a beer, or even pink muck, which can enhance emotional support, happiness, and positive mood.
    •    Pursuing hobbies and interests that involve other people, such as joining a book club, a choir, a dance class, or a friendly computer forum which can stimulate creativity, learning, and fun.
    These can help people to feel more connected, valued, and fulfilled, and thus improve their health and happiness. They can also reduce the risk of social isolation and loneliness, which are associated with poor physical and mental health outcomes. It is important for people to broaden their social activities and seek opportunities to interact with others.

All that thinking has made me as dry as a deed dingoes donger.  Can we crack another Tinnie?

The dogs  being walked enjoying a break
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 12:54:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
    Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
    • Redlands, SEQ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10237 on: November 04, 2023, 01:27:53 PM »
    Hi Moyra,

I can't remember if you are a fan of Ian Rankin.   If you are a fan of his, you might be intersted to know he has just published a new short story.   I remember that Alan has said he read some of his.

The Rise (2023) A Novella by Ian Rankin

In this short thriller from bestselling author Ian Rankin, murder comes to London’s most exclusive high-rise—and every resident is a suspect.

The Rise is a gleaming residential tower, newly constructed from steel and blackened glass, that stands on some of London’s most prestigious real estate. Looming imposingly over Hyde Park, only multi-millionaires need apply for one of its sumptuous apartments. But when the young night concierge is found murdered in the building’s lobby, the elite residents quickly find their gilded lifestyles under unwelcome police scrutiny.

Investigating officer DS Gish has her work cut out. The only suspects, those who live in the building, aren’t accustomed to police interrogation. But it seems horribly certain that one of them must be the killer. Could it be the Russian oligarch? Or the lonely actress? Maybe it’s the family of the career criminal? Or perhaps it’s the building’s reclusive developer who lives alone in the penthouse?

Obstructed continually by locked doors, governments both foreign and domestic, and an apparent absence of motive, can DS Gish solve this impenetrable mystery and apprehend the murderer—before they slip away forever?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 01:46:04 PM by Ozzyjack »
    Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10238 on: November 04, 2023, 08:19:43 PM »
    I have not read the books featuring the Martin Beck character but I have watched the TV adaptations and they were excellent. I love watching detective series but can't read that type of book. Strange!
    Christine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10239 on: November 05, 2023, 03:05:49 AM »

Good for you getting out of your comfort zone.  Did you go by Northampton Road which seems to have a number of roadworks on it which could add another 30 minutes or so to your trip?  or did you go a different way?

I told Blue about your outing and willingness to stretch your comfort zone.  While I had him in a serious mood, I asked for his thoughts.

or a friendly computer forum which can stimulate creativity, learning, and fun.

All that thinking has made me as dry as a deed dingoes donger.  Can we crack another Tinnie?

The dogs  being walked enjoying a break

Hi Jack

I didn't go the Northampton Road way.  It's shut during the day for the forseeable because of the wretched road works  :(  I went up the A5 to Towcester Racecourse and then I turned back on myself and took the road to Heathencote and Shutlanger.  Because of more blasted road works I had to pass the turning I wanted.  It was a good drive and didn't give me any problems. 

Thanks to both you and Blue for your very wise words :-*  It can be difficult, sometimes, living alone.  For all the reasons Blue gives.
    I find it hard to put into words the enjoyment and friendship I get from the forum.  It gives me a lot of pleasure and helps the little grey cell.  I'd be a bit lost without it.  Blues turn of phrase about the dingoes donger cracked me up  :laugh:

I'm the same as Christine.  I too love watching many different detective series but don't really enjoy reading the books.

My rebus is the latest in a series about a private detective who lost the lower half of his leg in the military in Afghanistan.

#3 #3 #5 #5

The first part of the name either of the characters in picture one then please use three consecutive letters.  Please lose the first letter of picture two and the last letter of picture three.  Please move the last letter of picture four to the front and it's all on one line.

Gorgeous pictures of Bonnie, Ruby and the other dogs :)  Love the one with the dog walker.  I'm sure you've mentioned his name but for the life of me I couldn't remember.

Time for a cuppa!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
    • Redlands, SEQ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10240 on: November 05, 2023, 05:25:29 AM »
    It was a good drive and didn't give me any problems. 
    My rebus is the latest in a series about a private detective who lost the lower half of his leg in the military in Afghanistan.

Hi Pen,

I am glad your trip went well. 

Google and I got the answer to your rebus, mainly because of the excellence of your introduction and clue about Picture 4.  For those not using google, you might consider giving a bit more precise information on Pictures 1 and 3.   I wasn’t sure whether name was the correct term in Picture 1. I thought Picture 3 might be two words and your instruction applied to word 2.

My rebus is a whodunit set in Edinburgh which will be released in Kindle next week.

1 #4 6(#4  #2) 6(#3  #3) : 1  #5  #4

Conceptually one line; two indefinite articles and punctuation not pictured.
    Picture 2. One word (9).  Use the English spelling rather than the American one which eliminates one of the required letters.  You only need the first four letters.
    Picture 3. One word (6).  Use the middle two letters
    Picture 4. One word (4). Remove the last letter and then reverse the remaining letters.
    Picture 6. Two Words (3 3) Remove the last letter of word one and then combine the letters to make one wod.
    Picture 7. A dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 05:34:16 AM by Ozzyjack »
    Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10241 on: November 05, 2023, 06:48:54 AM »

Google and I got the answer to your rebus, mainly because of the excellence of your introduction and clue about Picture 4.  For those not using google, you might consider giving a bit more precise information on Pictures 1 and 3.   I wasn’t sure whether name was the correct term in Picture 1. I thought Picture 3 might be two words and your instruction applied to word 2.

Hi Again Jack

Fair points!  Not everybody will recognise the residents of Craggy Island!  For picture one how about

What relation is the man in the skirt to the other two?  >:D
    I'm a great admirer  of the team in picture three and assumed everybody would recognise the haka.  I did originally put lose the last letter of the second word in picture three and then changed my mind as I thought that it would be far too easy.  As I've said before
    you know what thought did!

I'm a bit weary this evening so I'm going to search for a few words then conk out in front of the box with a glass of pink muck  ;)

I'll tackle your rebus tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
    • Redlands, SEQ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10242 on: November 05, 2023, 06:37:36 PM »
    Not everybody will recognise the residents of Craggy Island!

Hi Pen,

I recognised the residents; I just didn’t know they were all called Ted.  I did realise they expected to be addressed by the courtesy title “father”, although maybe many of them really were.  :D

During a routine check-up Blue asked his Doctor, "Do you think I'll live a long and healthy life then?"

The doctor replied, "I doubt it somehow. Mercury is in Uranus right now."

Blue said, "I don't go in for any of that astrology nonsense."

The Doctor  replied, "Neither do I. My thermometer just broke."

Last Monday, Blue and Sheila were going to take a week’s break at the Fat Frog Beach Houses resort at Byron Bay.  Just before they headed off, Sheila got a call to say there was an emergency at work and could she work on Tuesday. So they agreed that Blue would go as planned and Sheila would meet him at the resort on the Wednesday.

When Blue got to the resort and had checked in, he thought he should send Sheila a quick email letting her know he’d got there ok.

As he typed in her email address, he made a typo, and his email was sent to an elderly preacher’s wife instead. It just so happened that her husband had sadly died just the day before.

When the grieving preacher’s wife checked her emails, she read the one from Blue, let out an awful, loud, piercing scream, and fainted on the floor.

At the sound of her falling, her family rushed into the room. They tended to her and then looked at her computer and saw this email on her screen:

Dearest Wife,
    Just checked in to my room. Everything is prepared for your arrival Wednesday.
    P.S. It sure is hot down here.

My rebus is a film set in the Byron Bay area in the 1970s and was released about six years ago. One of the stars is somebody you might have heard of – Kylie Minogue.

9(#4 #5)  #8

Conceptually One Line

Picture1. One word (5).  Remove the last letter
    Picture 2. Pick any one. One word(6).  Remove the third letter

And I’ll leave you with.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 06:39:45 PM by Ozzyjack »
    Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10243 on: November 06, 2023, 12:55:13 AM »

My rebus is a whodunit set in Edinburgh which will be released in Kindle next week.

I recognised the residents; I just didn’t know they were all called Ted.

My rebus is a film set in the Byron Bay area in the 1970s and was released about six years ago. One of the stars is somebody you might have heard of – Kylie Minogue.

Hi Jack

It's a beautiful sunny day here - clear blue skies. I decided to walk before lunch as the Met Office says it's going to cloud up this afternoon.  It's very deceptive - the wind is enough to cut you in half  :laugh:  Still very enjoyable though.

Two brilliant posts and two very superb rebuses  :)  I struggled with the previous one as I wasn't sure about the tool in picture two.  I sought a little help from the unreliable Ms Google and got there in the end.  I'm going to try and find the film with Kylie. It got 75% on Rotten Tomatoes! It seems to have a different title now...

#8 #6

I'm still trying to work out if you're pulling my leg!  Did you forget Fathers Dougal and Jack?  :laugh:

I'm moving to Oxford for my post.  I've met the gent who plays the title character.  A smashing down to earth man  :)

#4 5 #3 7 (#4 + #3)

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one (seven in total.)  What's the man putting in his car in picture four?  Please lose the third letter.  Position is of the utmost important. 
    My detective shares a name with the author of...

Asoka took his girlfriend to a test match in the Wankhede stadium,
    Mumbai. Ranjani, unlike many Indian girls of her age, not only did she not
    understand the game but she was utterly bored.
    After tea, Tendulkar hit a powerful six over the long on boundary.
    'Thank heavens. They've got rid of the ball!' she shouted in delight.
    'Now it must be time to go home.'

Time to get that kettle on.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 12:57:53 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
    • Redlands, SEQ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10244 on: November 06, 2023, 09:31:44 AM »
    I'm going to try and find the film with Kylie. It got 75% on Rotten Tomatoes! It seems to have a different title now...
    I'm still trying to work out if you're pulling my leg!  Did you forget Fathers Dougal and Jack?  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

Great detective work finding out my film was released worldwide as Swinging Safari.  I wish I had noticed it.  It would have been easier to picture.  With hindsight I now find the answer to my rebus was the working title during filming and was changed for release outside of Australia.

Now I don't know if you are pulling my leg.  My contention is that the first names of fathers Ted, Dougal and Jack are Ted, Dougal and Jack. If father Ted were promoted in the hierarchy to Monsignor Ted would his first name be Monsignor? 

I consulted Blue to see what he thought and he told me I was becoming a boring old pedant and I should get a life. Moreover, he pointed out in my sleepy state, I had read your clue wrong.  You said the "first part of the name" not "part of the first name" as I misread it and so father was right.  He told me to apologise. 

#@!@#  Sorry   >:(

I will get around to your rebus when I have got a few jobs done.
    « Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:30:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
    Regards, Jack