Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 866814 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10200 on: October 25, 2023, 05:33:32 AM »

'second-to-last' sounds a bit odd to my ear — 'next-to-last' seems more normal ... what do others use? (Personally, I'd use penultimate.)

I'd say 'second to last' TRex.  Can't offer any reason other than it's what I grew up with.  Maybe it's a peculiar English thing. Like Yvonne I'd find 'penultimate' a bit formal.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: October 25, 2023, 11:39:53 PM »
Hi Pen,

A quickie tonight.  I was distracted by Glen Maxwell getting over 100 runs in 40 balls.

And I’ll leave you with this.

Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: October 26, 2023, 02:26:41 AM »
Like Yvonne I'd find 'penultimate' a bit formal.

Interesting to learn penultimate is regarded as formal. ISTM I'm hearing it more often, especially in sports broadcasting.

I once — only once — encountered (in a textbook in grad school) the word antepenultimate. Now that is going a bit far, IMO.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: October 26, 2023, 03:23:06 AM »

A quickie tonight.  I was distracted by Glen Maxwell getting over 100 runs in 40 balls.

Hi Jack

A quickie from me too.  I've been out for lunch with Barbs to the Nut & Squirrel.  We had a wander round the nearby shops and then we went back to hers for a cuppa with her husband John.

Your cartoons tickled me - especially the last one and the one about hearing without your glasses  :laugh:  I can relate to that!

I'll be back with a proper post tomorrow :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: October 26, 2023, 10:55:08 PM »

Hi Pen,

I'll have to take your word for it, Pen.  It's a bit out of range of my experience.

I took Snowy over to Mount Gravatt to have his taillights fixed.  It must have been an intermittent fault because they couldn’t find anything wrong.  The journey should take 35 minutes.  Because of the time of day and a crash on the Pacific Highway it took an hour and a quarter.    I took the route I did because my GPS asked me if I wanted to save two minutes by going by the Pacific Highway. and I said yes.                   

A husband and wife are waiting at the bus stop with their nine children. Blue joins them after a few minutes. Blue was using a walking stick because he had a fall recently.  He swears he hadn’t had a drink when it happened.

When the bus arrives, they find it overloaded and only the wife and the 9 kids are able to fit on the bus, so Blue and the husband decide to walk.

After a while, the husband gets irritated by the ticking of Blue’s stick as he taps it on the footpath, and says to him, ''Why don't you put a piece of rubber at the end of your stick? The ticking is driving me crazy.''

Blue replies, ''If you had put rubber at the end of YOUR stick there would have been room for us on the bus, so if I was you, I would shut up.''

[And I’ll leave you with this.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 11:08:55 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: October 26, 2023, 11:35:59 PM »

I'll have to take your word for it, Pen.  It's a bit out of range of my experience.

I took Snowy over to Mount Gravatt to have his taillights fixed.  It must have been an intermittent fault because they couldn’t find anything wrong.  The journey should take 35 minutes.  Because of the time of day and a crash on the Pacific Highway it took an hour and a quarter.                       

A husband and wife are waiting at the bus stop with their nine children. Blue joins them after a few minutes. Blue was using a walking stick because he had a fall recently.  He swears he hadn’t had a drink when it happened.

Hi Jack

I loved your post - hilarious  :laugh:  You obviously weren't too grumpy after your long drive to Mount Gravatt  >:D

I thought I was going to have a fairly easy relaxed day today.  You know what they say about the best plans!  I've been and had my hair done this morning and my rebus is an expression my hairdresser said to me.

3 #4 #2 5 (#2 + #3) 8 (#4 +#4)

THE
Please lose the first three letters of gent in picture four.  Picture five is five letters - please lose the last letter and then change the first.  Middle word of picture six.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

A little known fact, there is a patron saint of checking bread rolls before removing them from the oven...
Saint John the Bap Test!

Leave you with a very naff joke.  I'm off for a row with my insurance company.  My car insurance has gone up from £25.23 a month to £66.26.  It'll probably take me about half an hour or more just to get through  >:(

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 11:38:46 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: October 27, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »
Hi Pen,

Great rebus.  I went down several wrong paths before getting it.  Your hairdresser is a great judge of character if she was referring to you.  I would never qualify – too cumudgeonly.

Blue and I were doing a cross country walk when I spotted a sign that warned people to stay clear of a dangerous bull.

I asked Blue what he would do if we came across the bull.

"Run."

"Run? You think you can outrun a bull?"

"No, I just have to outrun YOU."

And I’ll leave you with this which brought to mind a former American President.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: October 28, 2023, 02:09:57 AM »

Great rebus.  I went down several wrong paths before getting it.  Your hairdresser is a great judge of character if she was referring to you.  I would never qualify – too cumudgeonly.

Blue and I were doing a cross country walk when I spotted a sign that warned people to stay clear of a dangerous bull.

Hi Jack

My hairdresser was talking about one of her friends! Sadly I don't qualify either - far too much of a crosspatch  >:D  As Zoe will testify  :laugh:  Do you think Blue could run faster than you?  :laugh:

A nice simple puzzle for you today.  It shouldn't lead you up the garden path!  It's a film from the 1960's.

7 (#4 + #3) #2 #5

Please use any of the three in picture one and change the last letter.  Please substitute the middle two letters of picture two with one single letter.  You just need the first and last letters of picture three and please pretend it's all on one line.

Tom, a young school leaver had just started work in a local solicitors office.  He was standing in front of the shredder looking confused.
"Need some help?" a secretary asked.
"Yes," he replied. "How does this thing work?"
"Simple," she said, taking the fat report from his hand and feeding it into the shredder.
"Thanks"said Tom "But where do the copies come out?"

An insurance salesman was trying to persuade, Mrs Warren, a housewife, to
buy a life insurance policy.
'Just imagine,' he pronounced, 'if your husband were to die tomorrow, what
would you get?'
'Oh, a Yorkshire terrier, I think,' responded Mrs Warren brightly,
'they're so well-behaved.'

Leave you with a couple of silly jokes ;D  My pink muck's chilling in the fridge for ron  >:D

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 02:11:30 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: October 28, 2023, 06:52:01 PM »
Do you think Blue could run faster than you?  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

If Blue can still run, he has to be faster than me.

Great rebus again. As I remember it, it was also a great movie but at least a two hanky job to watch.  It has given me the inspiration to present a movie about the same profession made 50 years later.

#4  #5  #7

Conceptually one line

Picture 1. First name of (in)famous Australian (3).  Change first letter to “D”.  Make homophone.
Picture 3. Movie (4, 7) released several months before Pen was born.  Use second word.

Sheila was making a breakfast of fried eggs for Blue. Suddenly, Blue burst into the kitchen. 'Careful,' he said, 'careful! Put in some more butter! Oh my gosh! You're cooking too many at once. too many! Turn them! turn them now! We need more butter. Oh my gosh! where are we going to get more butter? They're going to stick! Careful. careful! I said be careful! You never listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you crazy? Have you lost your mind? Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. use the salt! '

Sheila stared at him. 'What in the world is wrong with you? You think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?'

Blue calmly replied, 'I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving.'

And I’ll leave you with this.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: October 29, 2023, 01:22:51 AM »

Great rebus again. As I remember it, it was also a great movie but at least a two hanky job to watch.  It has given me the inspiration to present a movie about the same profession made 50 years later.

Sheila was making a breakfast of fried eggs for Blue.

Hi Jack

Thank you kind Sir  :) Back at you!  Another very funny post.  I'm a bit stumped by your rebus at the moment.  I shall return to it when I've finished this.

My rebus is a novel from the 1970's and the author.

8 (#4 + #4) 8 (#5 + #3)

Please use the middle letters of picture one.  You're not interested in the container in picture two but you need a homophone of what's in it! You need a four letter word to describe picture three. Please change the first and last letters of just one of picture four and we're all on one line.

by

#3 #6

Please use the character's name in picture one and picture two is a homophone.

I caught my neighbour stealing socks off my washing line...
I was going to confront him but I got cold feet!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 01:24:32 AM by Hobbit »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: October 29, 2023, 12:46:17 PM »
Jack and Penny, you are both on fire 🔥 🔥...rebuses and jokes!
Keep 'em coming, please.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: October 29, 2023, 04:44:22 PM »
Hi Pen,

I was about to take another sabbatical from the rebuses and jokes but given Moyra’s encouragement, I felt obliged to come to the party again.

Do you remember the time Blue minded his father-in-law’s small country grocery store while the parents-in-law took a well-earned holiday.

One of the local customers marvelled at Blue’s quick wit and intelligence.

Tell me, what makes you so smart?” the customer asked Blue.

I wouldn’t share my secret with just anyone,” Blue replied, lowering his voice so the other shoppers wouldn’t hear. “But since you’re a good and faithful customer, I’ll let you in on it. Fish heads. You eat enough of them, you’ll be positively brilliant.

You sell them here?” the customer asked.

Only $4 apiece,” said Blue.

The customer bought three. A week later, he went back to the store complaining that the fish heads were disgusting, and he wasn’t any smarter.

You didn’t eat enough,” said Blue. The customer went home with 20 more fish heads. Two weeks later, he was back and this time, really angry.

Hey,” he said, “You’re selling me fish heads for $4 apiece when I can buy the whole fish for $2. You’re ripping me off!

You see?” Blue replied with his usual cheeky grin. “You’re getting smarter already!”

[/i]'
[/size][/color]

My rebus is a 1990s novel by a well-known female crime writer.

Conceptually one line.  Position essential. Position preposition not pictured.
#6  2 #2  8(#4 #4)

Picture 1.  Two Words (4,4) aka Indian Pied Starling.  Use first two letters of the second word.
Picture 4.  2 words (5,4).  Think of a one word equivalent.

And I’ll leave  you with this.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:47:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: October 29, 2023, 06:42:00 PM »
Hi Jack

So pleased you have come to the party with a new rebus

It must be a bit of a chore finding new rebuses

I know I would really miss doing a rebus with me morning coffee and I bet Moira feels  the same

Thank you Pen and Jack  you make an old lady very happy

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: October 29, 2023, 11:58:59 PM »

It must be a bit of a chore finding new rebuses

Thank you Pen and Jack  you make an old lady very happy

Thanks Carol and Moyra  :)

I enjoy challenging myself with the rebuses though sometimes I have brain freeze and no inspiration!  My main worry is if I repeat one I've done before.  Though as Jack has said, if it's presented differently then it's not that important.

From one old lady to another "I'm happy to make you happy!"  :laugh:

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33:12 AM »

My rebus is a 1990s novel by a well-known female crime writer.

Hi Jack

In the words of Frank Carson It's a cracker!  It took me several attempts to get a handle on it.

I think I'm being a bit ambitious with my rebus today but I'll give it a whirl!  It's a book by a prolific lady crime writer.

#6 2 11 (#4 + #3 + #1 + #3)

Have you tried the Japanese soup in picture one?  Can't say as I fancy it much.  Anyway please change the second letter. You need to lose the last four letters of picture three and then change the last letter of what you have left.  Just the middle letter of picture four.  Please re-arrange the letters of picture five and position is crucial.  Hope you make sense of it!

We all know about Murphy’s Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
But have you heard of Cole’s Law? It’s thinly sliced cabbage.

Leave you with my very naff joke of the day ;D

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 01:36:55 AM by Hobbit »