Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 835581 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10050 on: September 14, 2023, 10:52:55 PM »

This came out of the blue.  Is this a one-off or part of a grand plan?  We will expect some photos.

Here's a silly little puzzle for you. 

You probably know the answer to the puzzle without the pictures, but I will give them to you anyway.

Hi Jack

Sorry to disappointment you - no grand plan or renovations.  Just a new carpet :)  As Zoe has been telling me for ages it was long overdue.  The old one was a very light creamy colour - not in the slightest bit practical.  I've got a grey flecky one now and it looks and feels lovely :)  Perhaps if we ask nicely Linda will let us have some pictures of her gorgeous new kitchen, when it's finished :)

I enjoyed your rather nifty rebus :)  It took a little while for the penny to drop!

My silly rebus is a fairy tale by two well known brothers.

3 8 (#4 + #4), 3 #3, #3 3 #4

THETHETHE
You'll need your Boy's Book of Garden Birds to identify the bird in picture three. (eight letters) Then please use three consecutive letters from the middle. Please ignore the spuds in picture two.  One homophone and we're all on one line.

I apologise unreservedly for my juvenile sense of humour  >:D

and this boggled my mind!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:40:37 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: September 15, 2023, 12:03:38 PM »
You'll need your Boy's Book of Garden Birds to identify the bird in picture three. (eight letters)

Hi Pen,

I mislaid my copy but google had no trouble identifying the bird.  Which was lucky because we don't see too many of them in Aussie gardens.  ;).  It was a very clever rebus.

Blue got home and someone has stolen all the bits of carpets and the mats. Police think it was the work of rug addicts.

Blue told me he knows the name of your Carpet Fitter.  Walter Wall.

Blue got fired from his job at a carpet shop.   Apparently asking customers "fancy a shag?" is inappropriate.

My rebus is a 2023 remake of a 1990s film.

#5 #3  #3’1 #4

One Line.
Picture 1.  3 words (4,2,5). Use last word.  Make homophone.  I hope you get it before the Cowes come home.  :D
Picture 3.  One word (10) .  Use the first four letters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 12:35:11 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: September 15, 2023, 10:40:50 PM »

I mislaid my copy but google had no trouble identifying the bird.  Which was lucky because we don't see too many of them in Aussie gardens.  ;).  It was a very clever rebus.

My rebus is a 2023 remake of a 1990s film.

Hi Jack

It's a tad warm here today.  Not a patch on the temperatures last week thank goodness :)

Blue properly tickled me :laugh:  My compliments on a great rebus :)  My offering is a film from the early 2000's.  Never watched it -bit silly!

#6 #6 2 10 (#4 + #6)

What make is that splendid sports car in picture two?  Please use the surname of the actress in picture three.  You're interested in the gent shaking Queenie's hand.  What is he? Three words and use the first one please.  Position is vitally important.

How does a train hear another train coming...?
With it's engineers!

Leave you with my naff joke du jour ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: September 16, 2023, 08:00:37 AM »
Gorgeous pictures Jack  :-*  Ruby seems to be full of even more beans than ever :laugh:  Bonnie's just risen above it all!

Hi Pen,

They are both in fine fettle.

My rebus is an early 20th century play.

#3  #3  #8

Picture 2. One word. Discard first letter.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: September 16, 2023, 11:45:15 PM »
Hi Jack

Another warm one here today.  Is this a bit of an Indian Summer I wonder?  Barbs and I had quite a long walk this morning.  5,200 steps which isn't too shabby :laugh:

I'm being very cheeky and piggy-backing on your idea for my rebus.  It's another 20th century play.

#5 #2 1 8 (#5 + #3)

A
Please change the first letter of picture one and lose the last letter of picture two.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

I went to the doctor with a suspicious-looking mole...
He told me they all look that way and I should have left it in the garden.

Going to treat myself to a little snooze :-Z

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:46:52 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: September 17, 2023, 02:02:34 AM »
I'm being very cheeky and piggy-backing on your idea for my rebus.  It's another 20th century play.

Hi Pen,

Well done you for a great walk.

I'm being very cheeky and piggy-backing on your idea for my rebus.  The answer is a person who has something in common with the author of your play.

#3  8( #2  #5  1)

You are looking for the first name in each picture.

o

Picture 1. His best friend is Humphrey Pennyworth
Picture 2. Abbreviation
Picture 3. Homophone

I asked Blue whether he keeps his money in the bank or under the mattress.  He grinned and said, “In the current economic climate, in my memories.”.

I asked Blue where bad rainbows go.  He grinned and said, “ Prism.  It’s a light sentence and they have time to reflect.

Blue was telling me about the time he was a sergeant-major in the army.  He was given the job of breaking in a troop of raw recruits who had screwed up in boot camp. Blue told me he noticed a new recruit lounging around and barked at him, “Get over here! What’s your name soldier?”

John,” the soldier replied.

Blue told me he gave him both barrels “Look, I don’t know what kind of bleeding-heart crap they’re teaching soldiers in boot camp these days, but I don’t call anyone by his first name. It breeds familiarity, and that leads to a breakdown in authority. I refer to my soldiers by their last names only; Smith, Jones, Baker, whatever, And you are to refer to me as ‘Sir.’ Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Sir!”

“Now that we’ve got that straight, what’s your last name?”

The soldier sighed. “Darling, My name is John Darling, Sir.”

Blue grinned as he told me he just said to him, ““Okay, John, here’s what I want you to do ….”

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: September 17, 2023, 04:24:06 AM »

I'm being very cheeky and piggy-backing on your idea for my rebus.  The answer is a person who has something in common with the author of your play.

Hi Again Jack

That was another very nifty rebus :)

The nights are really drawing in now :(  It's only 7.15 and I'm trying to resist putting the light on yet!  Problem is I'm struggling to see the keyboard :-R

Pleased to see Blue on top form :)  He really tickled me and made me laugh :laugh:

Going to search for a few words and then try and decide which film would be suitable to match my pink muck >:D  I noticed that Morning Glory has appeared on Amazon Prime.  I have seen it before but it's definitely worth another watch :)  Not Harrison Ford's usual offering! 

Am I on a bit of delay? :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: September 17, 2023, 05:40:30 PM »
The nights are really drawing in now :(  It's only 7.15 and I'm trying to resist putting the light on yet!  Problem is I'm struggling to see the keyboard :-R

Hi Pen

I have the same problem after the second bottle of red.   :D

Do you remember this list of the nicknames of some of the mates Blue used to drink with down at his local pub. 

• All Bran – He loves chairing meetings and passing motions;
    • Barra – He’s always coming up with fishy yarns;
    • Beer Bottle – He’s empty from the neck up;
    • Blotto - Completely pissed half the time and half pissed all the time
    • Cheeses- We think he’s religious because this is his favourite expletive;
    • Kanga – He’s always on the hop;
    • Ocker – He’s not very cultured and likes beer, sport and women in that order;
    • Opium – He’s a slow acting dope;
    • Pearl -  He is virtually neckless – built like a brick outhouse;
    • Pothole – He’s always in the road;
    • Septic {tank} – He’s a Yank;
    • Snake -  the girls say it because he is a charmer, but the blokes reckon it’s an anatomical reference;
    • Snuggler – He’s full of what nappies collect;
    • Whisper – Almost impossible to get him to shout.
    • Bed -  surname Owen, he lives out in the desert.

Well, now he has given me a list of the nicknames he has given to some of people he works with. 

•    Wheelbarrow – only works when pushed.
      •    Muffler – is always exhausted.
      •    Seaweed – just floats around all day and stinks.
      •    Sensor light - only works if someone walks past.
      •    Brake Pad - gets worn out easily then starts to squeal.
      •    G – Spot – you can never find him.
      •    Noodles – thinks all jobs take 2 minutes.
      •    Bushranger – always holding everyone up.
      •    Deck chair – always folds under pressure.
      •    Perth – always 3 hours behind everyone else.
      •    Feta – someone who always crumbles under pressure.
      •    Pluto – far out and not very bright.
      •    Lantern – not very bright, and always has to be carried.

He calls his boss Mushroom because he keeps the workers in the dark and feeds them bulldust.

Do you have any nicknames for the people you have worked with over the years?

Did you ever use one of these?

I did for the first seventeen years of my life.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:45:05 AM by Ozzyjack »
      Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
      • Muswellbrook, Australia
        • View Profile
        • Rosetta Writes
      « Reply #10058 on: September 17, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »

The first house we bought when we came to Australia in 1974 had one of those. We used to follow the 'night man' up the hill to the railway station every Friday morning.
      And the house itself was made of wood, which my very English 1974 self thought was a situation that didn't exist outside of the three little pigs.
      And the house had been transported in two halves, from somewhere else, on the back of a flatbed truck, and reassembled for the previous owners.

Talk about culture shock!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10059 on: September 17, 2023, 08:36:36 PM »

I have the same problem after the second bottle of red.   :D

Do you remember this list of the nicknames of some of the mates Blue used to drink with down at his local pub.  [/size][/font]

Well, now he has given me a list of the nicknames he has given to some of people he works with. 

Do you have any nicknames for the people you have worked with over the years?

Hi Jack

I don't remember Blue's lists of nicknames.  Bloody hilarious :laugh:    I can't remember any funny nicknames for people I worked with apart from a manager we had who we called Tricky Dicky.  He looked like Ronnie Corbett and always seemed to be carrying The Times!  One of my old colleagues always called me Bouncy.  Because my married name was Ball.  Not very inventive :laugh:  My great aunt and uncle had one of those!  it always seemed to have lots of spiders :laugh:

My rebus is an expression attributed to an English king several hundreds of years ago.  There are a couple of different variations.
      #4 #2 #3 #3 #2 2 #4 9 #5

OF
      You need the first name of the rugger bugger in picture one.  He allegedly had hanky panky with Princess Di >:D  Please lose the first and last letters of picture four, the last letter of picture five and the last three letters of picture six. Please take the letters of pictures seven and eight and form them to make one word.  Either one in the last picture and please pretend it's all on one line.
      That should keep you out of mischief for five minutes ;) 

I need to get my washing on the line and get out for a walk before the rain and storms this afternoon!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
      • Redlands, SEQ
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10060 on: September 17, 2023, 10:49:16 PM »
      Hi Pen,

Brilliant rebus. I make the last  2 words 9( #5 #4) 6.  And the date to be December 1170. 

We never had any spiders in our dunny but a guy a couple of miles away got a red-back spider bite on a part of his anatomy that was dangling.  Apparently it was quite painful and he spent several days in hospital.
      Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10061 on: September 18, 2023, 04:03:29 AM »
      Thanks Jack :-*  I did think about putting the (#5 + #4) but then thought better of it as it might have been misleading.  You need all the letters of pictures seven and eight but the final 9 letter word doesn't fall neatly into two words.  Sorry does that make any sense? ???

That poor man - ouch :cry:  It made me shudder just reading about it and I obviously don't have the dangly thing  :laugh:

Off to give the little grey cell a bit of exercise.  Back to work tomorrow :(

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
      • Redlands, SEQ
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10062 on: September 18, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »
      And the house itself was made of wood, which my very English 1974 self thought was a situation that didn't exist outside of the three little pigs. And the house had been transported in two halves, from somewhere else, on the back of a flatbed truck, and reassembled for the previous owners. Talk about culture shock!

Hi Yvonne,

Your post inspired in me some interesting memories and reflections.

We didn't have a night man.  We were on a dairy farm and when the bucket (for want of a better word) in the dunny was nearly full, my father would empty the contents into a deep hole he had dug a suitable distance from the house so that we weren't bothered by the bouquet.  When the hole was nearly full, he would cover it over and dig a new hole.

It never occurred to me in those days that wooden houses were anything but the norm.  They make sense in a warm climate.

Weatherboard houses have been a popular choice for homeowners in Australia due to their ability to be eco-friendly, withstand changing ground conditions, and prevent high costs during the initial construction or renovation. They are also known for their excellent insulation, which is achieved by trapping air between the boards. This feature regulates the temperature of the house and makes it easier to maintain a comfortable indoor environment. Weatherboards are also easier to install than bricks, which means faster construction times.

It is claimed that the Classic Queenslander has little need of modern air conditioning.  More true in summer than in winter, I believe.

Cutting houses in two and transporting them to sometimes quite distant destinations was quite common in the late 50’s after the 1955 flood. 
      Here are two articles of reminiscences and photos that may be of interest to you.

Part 1
      Part 2
      Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
      • Muswellbrook, Australia
        • View Profile
        • Rosetta Writes
      « Reply #10063 on: September 18, 2023, 09:42:40 PM »
      Here are two articles of reminiscences and photos that may be of interest to you.

Thank you for that, Jack. Very interesting indeed. I was aware of the devastation of the 1955 floods, but I had not seen those articles and photographs before. The house we now live in was built in 1883 – double brick cavity walls and wide verandahs, so also no need for airconditioning in summer, which is just as well, because we don't have any.

I believe our house was used as an evacuation centre for a lot of the 1955 Muswellbrook flood victims because it's quite large and sits on top of a hill, and would have been the most elevated building in town in those days.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
      • Redlands, SEQ
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10064 on: September 19, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »
      I obviously don't have the dangly thing  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

I would be surprised if you did.  Why did Crocodile Dundee in New York jump into my mind?  >:D  . Mind you, redbacks have been known to target other parts.

My rebus is a current topic, most probably more likely to come up in Blue's conversations than in yours.

3  10( #4  #6) #5  10(#4  #6)

The    

Picture 1.  Two Words (7,5).  You need the first letters of the first word.
      Picture 2..  Not who he was but what he was.  Replace the “i” with an “o”
      Picture 3.  Three words (3’2  3  5) Not the person but a song recorded by him in 1986, which became an immediate hit in Australia as well as several European countries, Ireland, and the UK.  you need the third word.
      Picture 4.  Replace the “r” with an “e”  The letters won’t make a word.
      Picture 5.  3 words (6,2,5).  You need all the letters of the first word.
      Make an anagram from the combined letters you have worked out from pictures 4 and 5.
      « Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:38:11 PM by Ozzyjack »
      Regards, Jack