Author Topic: Amusing  (Read 3453 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Amusing
« on: September 10, 2017, 03:21:09 AM »
I've no idea if this is true or not, but it amused me:

The Spitfire ace, Douglas Bader, who died 35 years ago this week, was not one to temper his language. The Times Diary recalls that after the war, Bader was invited to give a talk at a smart girls' school.

"So there were two of the f***ers behind me, three f***ers to my right, another f***er to my left...," he told his audience. At this point the headmistress blanched and interjected, "Ladies, the Fokker was a German aircraft." Bader replied, "That may be, madam, but these f***ers were in Messerschmitts."

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:52 AM »
Old joke.  Generally told as an old war veteran being interviewed on radio.  Still funny, though.
Stevens Point, WI

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
That may be true, but in terms of his his relationship with the headmistress . . .

He was in a Messerschmidt!   ;D

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
Old joke.  Generally told as an old war veteran being interviewed on radio.  Still funny, though.

Here's another old war time joke that always gives me a little chuckle ;

Having just moved into his new office, a pompous, new Colonel was sitting at his desk when an airman knocked on the door. Conscious of his new position, the Colonel quickly picked up the phone, told the airman to enter, then said into the phone, "Yes General, I'll be seeing him this afternoon and I'll pass along your message. In the meantime, thank you for your good wishes, sir."

Feeling as though he had sufficiently impressed the young enlisted man, he asked, "What do you want?"

"Nothing important, sir," the airman replied, "I'm just here to hook up your telephone."

Les303

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
Knowing how passionate chi players are about correct spelling ; you might find the following phrase at least enlightening if not amusing ;

"Acocdrnig to an elgnsih unviesitry sutdy the oredr of letetrs in a wrod dosen't mttaer, the olny thnig thta's iopmrantt is that the frsit and lsat ltteer of eevry word is in the crorect ptoision. The rset can be jmbueld and one is stlil able to raed the txet wiohtut dclftfuiiy."

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
An anecdote attributed to Churchill, centred upon his taking a bathroom visit, only for his adjutant to knock on the cubicle door, and inform him that an individual, well-known for his pomposity, was not merely requesting, but demanding to see Churchill as soon as possible. To which, the old curmudgeon replied, "tell him I can only deal with one s**t at t time". :D
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Les303

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
Cal ,

The wonderful thing about humour is that anything that is truly funny will endure , regardless of the passage of time.
I am sure that there are many players out there who , like me , read your post with a smile while thinking " yes , I remember that one ". & I would also like to think that there are players out there who had never heard the joke but were  also suitably amused.
I gain endless satisfaction from retelling " classic " jokes to the younger generation who , in most cases , find them just as amusing as we did when we first heard them many years ago.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
Those are two great jokes!

I will endeavor to save them in the old sieve-brain.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
This is certainly not up to par with anything from Sir Winston Churchill, but here goes.

My lovely bride and I have been married for some time now.  We recently celebrated out half-minute anniversary.   ;D
Carpe digitus.

JermaineTeb

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »
This is certainly not up to par with anything from Sir Winston Churchill, but here goes.

My lovely bride and I enjoy the benefits of Quick Extender Pro and have been married for some time now.  We recently celebrated out half-minute anniversary.   ;D

I didn't know Churchill had a sense of humor like that. That's funny.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:37:51 PM by JermaineTeb »

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
This was, of course, our thirty second anniversary.
Carpe digitus.

Les303

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
The typo with " our / out " threw me off track initially but I did eventually " get it " , I really do appreciate that type of suttle humour. ;D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
Sorry for the typo.  This was unintetntional.   :)
Carpe digitus.

Les303

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
 ;D