Author Topic: 10 letter puzzle start time  (Read 2062 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
10 letter puzzle start time
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »
I've just sat down at the usual time to begin today's 10 letter puzzle to find that yesterday's puzzle still has an hour to run.  I'm confused.  ???

Les303

Re: 10 letter puzzle start time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »
What is it showing now ?

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
It seems to have reverted to the correct opening time.  I'm still confused.  Am I going crazy?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
You're not necessarily going crazy, Morbius.

I see you're playing on the www.chihuahua-puzzle.com site. That site runs on a server based in the USA, where they've just terminated daylight saving time. This seems suspiciously like it could have something to do with a one-hour discrepancy. In fact I recall some daylight saving related issue came up a while ago - maybe 12 months ago?

I'll investigate.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »
If you look at this post from one year ago, Morbius, you'll see that you had the problem then that words you played on the 10-letter puzzle in its first hour weren't saved properly. This turned out to be an effect of the clocks going back in the US. I made some changes to try to fix that problem. Now, a year later, it seems that the original problem has been corrected, but a new one has appeared in its place. Namely, that you can't play the puzzle at all in its first hour, at least not on that web site.

Back to the drawing board!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
I despise 'Daylight Savings Time' (what a stupid name).

I still think everyone should just adopt UTC (which would mean here, instead of working 8-16, one would work 13-21). No more stupid adverts for a TV show at 'noon, 11 central time, 9 pacific time' (mountain time is always ignored for some reason). No more planning a meeting and having to figure out whose time zone is being used.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
A couple of anecdotes...

During WWii, UK had standard time, daylight saving time and double daylight saving time, which I read was referred to as God's time, government time and fool's time.

Russian train timetables (when I was there) were all based on Moscow time and in the far east it was something like 8 hours difference.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »
A couple of anecdotes...

During WWii, UK had standard time, daylight saving time and double daylight saving time, which I read was referred to as God's time, government time and fool's time.

Russian train timetables (when I was there) were all based on Moscow time and in the far east it was something like 8 hours difference.

Which makes for fun trying to catch the return journey on the Trans-Siberian Express. Though that's a marathon journey in itself once you board the train. Six days and nights minimum (more if there's deep snow to worry about, and by 'deep snow' I mean drifts over 12 feet deep). Still, at least you don't have to worry about falling down a massive precipice, as you do in Ecuador travelling the Nariz del Diablo railway ... look that one up if you want to see some scary cliff faces ... or for that matter the Ferrocaril Central Andino in Peru, which takes you to nearly 16,000 feet above sea level, and introduces you to altitude sickness with a vengeance. Not far off in the dizziness stakes is Tren A Las Nubes in Argentina, which takes you 13,500 feet or so up the Andes.

Or you could try travelling on a train in Bangladesh ... where the demand for space is such that roof riding (and the accompanying horrific deaths) are a part of the experience.

Though none of those other railways take you through eight different time zones.

I recently worked out that it was possible to travel from Liverpool here in the UK, non stop by rail to Vladivostok. Train to London, Eurostar to Paris, connecting train from Paris to Berlin, then connecting train from Berlin to Warsaw, then connecting train from Warsaw to Moscow, then the Trans-Siberian Express to Vladivostok. That journey, if ever I undertook it, would take me through 11 time zones, 8 of them in Russia itself. Travel time estimated to be 11 to 13 days, depending on connections.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...