Author Topic: Forum  (Read 4196 times)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Forum
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
Hi Alan,

Can you please explain the time that is shown on the forum.  The time shown is currently March 13, 2007, 10:27:45 PM but here it is March 14 , 02:27 PM.  The time difference between  Oz EST & GMT is 11 hours at the moment, so I don't understand what the time in the forum represents.

Thanks Gaye
Gaye
   :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »
Gaye, the times shown in the forum are for the time zone where the computer is located - that is, the server where the Web site is running. This happens to be in Dallas, which is 16 hours behind us at the moment. (Being in Melbourne, I'm in the same time zone as you.)

You can set things up so the times in the forum are translated to your own time zone - click the Profile tab and then click on "Look and Layout Preferences" under the "Modify Profile" heading on the left hand side of the screen. Then you should see a field labelled "Time Offset", where you can enter 16, and then click the "Change Profile" button towards the bottom of the screen. The only drawback to this is that you have to adjust the offset by an hour or two every so often because someone has started or stopped daylight savings.

As for the reason the server is in Dallas, I buy my Web hosting services through an Australian business, but the best value packages are usually hosted in the US for some reason. Apart from time zones, it doesn't make any real difference where it is.

(The reason the puzzles use GMT is just because that seemed like a reasonably neutral time zone to use.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:35:54 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »
Thanks Alan - that makes sense now.  I will fix up the offset when I get back.  You do a great job as our webmaster.

Gaye
Gaye
   :)