Author Topic: Keyboard & Enter not working after reading Forum & Player stats order  (Read 10223 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
After I read a Forum article, the keyboard does not work and enter takes me back to the forum. I have to click on the letters and the down arrow beside the word before the keyboard works again. Just wondering why.

Unrelated, but is there any logical order in the list of players on the same score, it doesn't appear to be alphabetical, rosette or star related, nor time related.

And Alan, would you like a star and rosette graphic with transparent surround.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
I can answer the first part of the question because that was me a couple of years ago! Kindly Pat explained that you just need to click anywhere on the words side of the screen in order to resume using the enter key.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
cmh - Thank you - and Pat.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
The keyboard issue is to do with which element on the screen has "focus". When you click on a link in the "Forum Latest" panel, that link gets focus and the Forum opens in another tab or window. When you return to the Chihuahua page, the forum link is still in focus, and so any letters you key in are ignored and the Enter key serves to open the forum link again. The reason why pressing a letter key doesn't return focus to the puzzle is probably related to the fact that the forum summary is actually a separate web page, inside an iframe. But as cmh explained, clicking somewhere in the game area should do the trick.

The order of players on the scoreboard has had a few glitches over the years, so it is possible it isn't always doing what it's intended to. But the way it should work is that where a group of players are on the same score, the players with a star will appear above those without a star. And if there are multiple stars available in the puzzle, those with the most stars will go highest. Then, within the group of players with the same score and the same number of stars, the time when the player reached that score will determine their place on the scoreboard - i.e. the player who reached that level first will be on top.

However, there is another factor when you are looking at a scoreboard which displays the hit rate. (For daily puzzles, this applies to the Challenge puzzle only, and only when the scoreboard option has been selected to include rare words in the counts. Some custom puzzles also show the hit rate.) In these cases the hit rate determines the order of players with the same score and number of stars, and time only comes into play where two players have the same score, star count and hit rate.

Another complication is that the scoreboard you can see isn't always right up to date, and the scores on the server are not always updated immediately a player plays a word, so the accuracy of the time sequence is not absolutely precise.

And finally, yes, yelnats, graphics without the white border would be great - the competition for these honours will become even fiercer!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:43:41 PM by yelnats »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks yelnats.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Luckily Alonzo Quixote got a cup AGAIN so I didn't have to hunt for a cup.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
That's a given every day!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
With 100% accuracy every day!!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Alan,
Thanks for uploading them, the transparent gifs look good!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard & Enter not working after reading Forum & Player stats order
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
I think I'm missing something here. The stars and rosettes don't look any different to me.

Les303

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Same here & as I thought it might have just been the beer goggles , I did a double check ... did I see a recent game there when Alonzo did not achieve a cup!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Must have been a word he forgot to put into his database!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
The stars and rosettes don't look any different to me.

The stars, rosettes and cup had a small area of white around them as they were not "transparent gif"s. It's a nerdy thing but I took them and converted them to transparent and they no longer  have a halo.

I didn't keep the old ones to show you the difference - which really only showed up when they were enlarged.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:41:07 PM by yelnats »

Les303

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
I saw right through it.