Author Topic: Nuanced - rare?  (Read 6678 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nuanced - rare?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
Returning to the original issue, should nuanced become a common word? The fact that nuance is treated as common does not automatically mean nuanced should be, of course. Nuance is a noun, not a verb, so nuanced didn't necessarily have to exist as a word at all, let alone a common one. But in both the News on the Web corpus and the Corpus of Contemporary American English nuanced actually appears more often than nuance.

I mentioned that it is used quite often in the Melbourne Age, and yelnats wondered how often it would appear in the Sun. I think he probably meant the Melbourne Herald-Sun rather than the UK Sun, but both are Murdoch tabloids so it probably makes little difference. Even these papers use the word nuanced, though they might not carry much writing that could be so described. One example of the word being used is from the UK paper in a report of a football match last February:

Benfica boss Rui Vitoria agreed his side may have been outplayed but had a more nuanced take on proceedings.
He saw much to praise in his team’s plucky rearguard...

All things considered, I think nuanced should be treated as common in future.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

Re: Nuanced - rare?
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
Thanks for putting me out of my misery Alan , as always , a very reasonable decision.