Author Topic: Disparity in times shown for Forum messages  (Read 4584 times)

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
Disparity in times shown for Forum messages
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:27:49 PM »
There appears to be a fourteen hour disparity in the time listed for a forum message as compared to when it was actually posted.

This example describes a message currently appearing at the top of the Forum.

For example, a message is listed as posted today (referring to the message itself) as 03:56:42AM.

However, the message is shown on the Forum as today 05:56:42PM.

Where I am in the United States it is still morning.  That is, the time shown in the Forum has not yet occurred.

I have checked my profile and it shows my "Chihuahua time" is correctly synchronized with my current local time.

Have I got something incorrectly set?

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Re: Disparity in times shown for Forum messages
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »
Ozzie time.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
This is another unintended consequence of changes I've recently made to try to minimise the occurrence of "not secure" messages from browsers. The forum summary is now being obtained in an indirect method, which means the forum user ID is not identified. Hence the time adjustment factor is also not known, so the times are shown in relation to the server running the forum, which is in Sydney. This has also caused the absence of "new" icons for posts you haven't yet looked at. (See this topic.)

I think I can work around these problems for people playing Chi on the lexigame site, but I'm not so sure about finding a solution for people playing on the other site. Watch this space.

For the technical minded, we used to get the forum summary information by calling a PHP script on the lexigame site, which is where the forum is located. This script had access to the user's cookies, and so could identify who the user is, and tailor the information accordingly. But when SSL was set up on the chihuahua-puzzle site, allowing it to be accessed via the https protocol, warnings were displayed by some browsers that content was being obtained over an insecure connection (because lexigame is still http only). So I created a small script that would be located on the same server as Chihuahua, and it would call the script on the lexigame site via a server-to server link. Possibly this was no more secure than before, but it got rid of the warning messages. However, now the script that has been called from another server-side script has no access to cookies, so cannot tailor the data as it used to. The functions that are actually extracting data from the forum database were provided with the forum software, so I don't want to try tinkering with them.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
Thank you for such a clear and complete explanation.

I was not aware that the script previously used had access to the user's cookies and could therefore tailor the time to each user's time zone.

Therefore, Ozzie Time is actually Sydney time.  Aren't there at least three time zones in Australia?

I just took a look at a more complete description of Australian time zones and the picture is a great deal more complicated than I had originally thought.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:58:39 PM by Alonzo Quixote »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
Oh my, yes indeed, Alonzo Quixote - I just looked at the Wikipedia article on Australian time zones, and my head is spinning.  (Here is the link, for anyone who wants to venture into territory I fled from:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Australia )

It's hard enough here in the US with 4 time zones plus DST (except in a couple of states).

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
The next 6 months are easy here. Eastern, Central and Western Standard time. Central 1/2 an hour behind Eastern and Western 1 and 1/2 hours behind Central.

Summer is the fun time with 3 of the 4 Eastern states on Eastern Summer time and 1 on Eastern Standard Time, , 1 of the 2 central states on Central Summer time and 1 on Central Standard Time, and Western Australia stays on Western Standard Time, so 5 zones.

SOme of the reasons for not having daylight savings make great reading.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
Pity the poor Russians!
Their country at one time covered 11 time zones!

MK

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
And if I remember correctly, trains ran on Moscow time.

And as for Oz time, here in Melbourne at the equinox, the sun rises and sets at 6.30, which means midday is really at 12.30. We really work on Sydney time, or far eastern Victorian time.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:18 AM »
It's hard enough here in the US with 4 time zones plus DST (except in a couple of states).

Birdy, you forgot Alaska & Hawaii - they make a total of six time zones in the U.S.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
I just checked Christmas Island. You can add another time zone to Australia!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
Birdy, you forgot Alaska & Hawaii - they make a total of six time zones in the U.S.

You're absolutely right, TRex. I guess I was only thinking of the contiguous states.