Author Topic: Time-out while posting  (Read 1850 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Time-out while posting
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
A few times over the years, I've been interrupted while writing a post in the forum, have come back to it some time later, finished my contribution and hit "Preview" or "Post", only to be told that my session had timed out. The infuriating thing about such an incident is that everything that has been typed disappears, and there seems to be no way of recovering it.

Possibly I'm the only person who's been troubled by this phenomenon, because I can spend a fair while composing a reply to a word suggestion, with its associated research. Ironically, I'm also the person best able to do something about this, by changing the forum configuration. That's what I've finally gotten around to doing. So now you've got up to 10 hours to finish typing a forum post. Previously it was about 40 minutes.

(On a previous computer this wasn't such a problem, because I had a program running in the background that saved everything that was typed into a Web page form. But I don't have this handy program anymore, and can't remember what it was called. Does anyone know of such a thing?)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

Re: Time-out while posting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
G'day Alan ,

I have been caught with the time out several times.
I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I would have the football on the tele , the races on the radio , visitors at the door & the mobile going off in the background all at the same time , while I was trying to compose a post.
On the last occasion that this occurred , I was going to send you a post suggesting that at least a warning flag be installed as you neared the 40 minute limit but I guess that won't be necessary now as the new 10 hour limit ( even with my one finger typing ) might be just enough time for me not to be timed out again.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
A search showed 2 Chrome extensions...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »
Thanks, yelnats.

Lazarus is the one I once had. But I normally use Firefox as my browser , and according to reviews, the Lazarus add-on for Firefox no longer works with the current version of Firefox. So I've installed another one, Form History Control, which seems like it does what I want.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites