Author Topic: The hardest common words  (Read 3024 times)

Les303

The hardest common words
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
Gooday Alan , hope you had a good Christmas. ( is there even such a thing as a bad Christmas ? )

I was going to suggest that moue ( 10 letter game - 25th Dec. ) be considered for a downgrade however I did remember to do a search  which led me to your " hardest common words ' list from 2007.
What a wonderful idea that was to compile such a helpful list , I found it very interesting that for me , approx. 50% of those words were familiar to me & the other half I would have no chance of finding.
Hopefully, after viewing that list , I will now have a better chance of finding a few more of those ' rare " common words.

As that list was compiled in 2007 , is there any chance that we could get an updated one for 2016/17?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The hardest common words
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
We looked at some similar lists just a few months ago, Les. See this topic. Following discussion, a number of words were changed from common to rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
Alan , what on earth have you done to me!!!

I do remember now having a brief look at that rather large & boring list & then logging off after a few minutes as I was quickly developing a massive headache.

Here we are about eight months later & I have just spent the last hour or so intently studying the list , making my own personal judgement about which words should or should not have been downgraded & taking particular note of those words that have remained classified as common with no sign of even the mildest headache.

So thanks for that ... (I think? )
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:38:36 PM by Les303 »

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Les I bet you had a little "moue" going through all those words
Someone had to say it!!
I will agree with you that it is not a word you would use in general conversation.

Alan- what about  face with a moue?? 

Les303

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »
MOO !

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:24:40 PM »
Les you are the bees knees
Loved it

Les303

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
Honey for the sweet.

Les303

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Oops , sorry about that Carol as I seem to have doubled up there ... I 've only recently learnt how to attach a picture so please forgive my stuff ups.