Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 5394 times)

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Just wanted to say hello to all and introduce myself after many years of playing this wonderful word game! My day is absolutely not complete until I've done my Standard game.  Thank you Alan - and may you continue to produce this anti-dementia therapy for many years to come.  Like Les303, I'm from Australia, land of the galah.  A happy and peaceful festive season to all :)
Linda

Les303

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
Hello Linda & welcome to the minefield of the forum , while I should advise you to tread lightly , I would much rather encourage you to voice your opinion & don't take it too seriously.
What part of this wonderful country are you from?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
Hi Linda. Glad you like the game. Welcome to the forum.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Alan and Les.
I'm from the Blue Mountains, in NSW Les - a very nice place to be (when not on fire).  Thanks for your advice re treading lightly.  Perhaps I'll leave the controversy and humour in your capable hands!

Les303

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
 ;D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »
Good to have you with us, Linda. Surely your 'guilty pleasure' isn't playing Chi??!!  :police:

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:17:18 AM »
Hi Pat, it all depends on what other things I should be doing at the time!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Blue Mountains? Nice. Home to one of my favourite butterflies, the Blue Mountain Swallowtail, Papilio ulysses.

Here's what this beauty looks like, for those who have never seen it:

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:11:50 AM »
Welcome, guiltypleasure.  Don't let Les303 have all the fun - or blame.  We all need to share!

Beautiful swallowtail, Calilasseia - another one I haven't seen, even in butterfly gardens.  Is it rare or endangered?

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
What an amazing butterfly! I will keep a look out for that one.

Thank you for your welcome Birdy.  Indeed, Les does seem to have way too much fun on this forum!  It makes for very entertaining reading... ;D

Les303

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
Just beautiful ( I imagine ) oh & a pretty butterfly pic as well.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
That's a CITES Schedule I species. it's also difficult to observe even in its natural stronghold of the Blue Mountains, because it prefers to inhabit tree tops. It's larval foodplants include Kerosene Wood or Turpentine Tree (so called because the branches & twigs catch light readily, even when green), various Euodia species, occasional Citrus trees, and the Pink Flowered Doughwood, the latter being a 25 m tall tree. In the case of Euodia, it can be found at less troublesome heights around these trees, because it prefers the young saplings to lay its eggs upon, but if it finds Pink Flowered Doughwood to lay its eggs on, it heads for the tops of the trees instead, and at 25 metres, ends up well out of reach of even persistent Lepidoptera watchers.

A purple subspecies, known as ssp. telegonus, can be found in the rainforests of Papua New Guinea, and a very rare subspecies with particularly intense blue can be found in the Solomon Islands and the Moluccas. Head to New Caledonia, and a similar looking species, Papilio montrouzieri, takes its place.

Go to Kuranda in Queensland, and the huge butterfly zoo there rears this species in captivity, along with other native Australian species such as the Cairns Birdwing, which despite being an Ornithoptera species, is one of the smaller ones. If you want to see the real giants among the Birdwings, you have to go to Papua New Guinea. Popondetta Marshes and the adjoining rainforests are home to Queen Alexandra's Birdwing, which is 12 inches across.

Anyone here within reach of Kuranda, can take a a peek here and see what awaits them at the giant butterfly zoo. Your Google Maps guide to the site can be viewed here.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »
Just checked. If you're in Sydney, or any of the other decent sized settlements in the vicinity of the Blue Mountains, then Kuranda in Queensland is a bit of an expedition. It's nearly 2,500 km distant along the Gregory Highway. If you drive non stop, it's 27 hours. A much quicker way of getting there is to fly on an internal flight to Cairns, then hire a car when you arrive. The flight still takes 3 hours though, which gives non-Australians an idea of how huge Australia really is.

To put it in perspective, a 3 hour flight from Manchester Airport, the nearest big international airport in the UK to my home, would take me all the way to Malaga, on the Spanish Mediterranean coast, and a little longer in the air would see me in Algiers in Algeria, if it were possible to fly non stop! Yet 3 hours in the air will only get you from Sydney to Cairns in Australia - if you want to get from Brisbane to Perth, that's a 5 hour 15 minute flight, covering around 4,000 km. Indeed, Western Australia on its own, covers a greater land area than the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, the Benelux Countries, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria and Italy all combined!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »
The flight still takes 3 hours though, which gives non-Australians an idea of how huge Australia really is.

I just looked at the numbers. Australia is about the same size (95%+) as the 'lower 48' of the U.S. (much of which I've not seen). Most Americans wouldn't drive to see something on the opposite side of the country.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 08:23:14 AM »
In Oz, it's a common fallacy that Asia is close. Bali is only an hour's flight from Darwin, and Singapore only 2-3 hours. But Darwin is 5 hours flight from Melbourne.

It's much easier to experience Asia at my local shopping centre! 80% Asian, 20% Gwe Lo.

I look forward to the day when you can be fired into low space and wait for Europe to catch up. 24 hours to fly to Europe but they are only 9 - 10 hours away as the earth rotates.