Author Topic: "Show all?" is not showing  (Read 3571 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
"Show all?" is not showing
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »
In the 10 letter for 28 November 2016, there were some players with 2 x 10 letter words, 1 rare, whereas I only got one, so I went to look it up but did not have the show all? checkbox...

What was the rare 10 letter word?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:41:35 PM by yelnats »

Les303

Re: "Show all?" is not showing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
outplacing

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »
No wonder it is rare, never heard it used. I worked in both Commonwealth & State government so I know 'outsourcing'!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Yelnats, did you have the solution button pressed at the time you were looking for the "Show all" box?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Silly me - no, I didn't!

Thank you.

And a 2nd question, the insert image button seems to only be able to insert an image url, whereas the attach, you can load a pic from your own computer. Correct?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »

No wonder it is rare, never heard it used. I worked in both Commonwealth & State government so I know 'outsourcing'!

COD doesn't have 'outplace / outplacing' - only the noun 'outplacement'.

I've a vague recollection of  'outsource' being used as a Chi keyword at some time in the past; it would therefore be common. I may be wrong, however.

MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
And a 2nd question, the insert image button seems to only be able to insert an image url, whereas the attach, you can load a pic from your own computer. Correct?

Yes, that's true. Of course you could always load a copy of an image into some storage service like Google Drive, and then have a URL generated for it.
Alan Walker

Les303

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 02:23:22 PM »
Silly me - no, I didn't!

Actually Yelnats , I find it quite gratifying that someone with so much computer knowledge can make this type of basic error / omission which is normally the domain of beginners like myself so that gives me a little bit more confidence to not worry to much about my many , many , many errors & just persevere with my never ending battle to master this computer.
As for outplacing , I was a little surprised when it was accepted as it is not a word that is familiar to me.
I only found it through my normal trial & error method , hence a hit rate for that game of 56% (actually better than average for me ).
And as for the other 10 letter word , I do have a very vague recollection of what that actually involves :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
MK, you're right - outsource has been a 9-letter seed word. Outsourced is also classed as common but for some reason I don't have it available as a 10-letter seed. Perhaps it should be.

Outplace, in the sense of "place a retrenched worker in a new job", or as a euphemism for "dismiss", is probably a back-formation from outplacement. According to the OED outplacement in this sense was used as early as 1948, but the first sighting of outplacing was in 1970.
Alan Walker