Author Topic: Not registering?  (Read 12432 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Not registering?
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »
Can anyone explain to me why players play, but don't register? I just don't get it. :-\

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Not registering?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
Maybe they have issues with "commitment." Or, they just don't see how wonderful the rest of us who register really are!
 ;D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »
One of the most enjoyable parts about those registering, especially because some of you like to get into the forum, is that we learn more about new places. Some of the most active ones in the forum are from Australia -- they seem to be the most chatty about themselves, where they're from and what they're doing.

(Alan, you're a big influence, of course, and I think that's what keeps everyone coming back.)

But, for us in America, it takes a little thinking about what they're talking about. Like Gaye and others who were talking about taking "hols". It took a second for me to realize they were talking about "holidays," and that's what makes this more fun.

Keep it up, guys. I don't yet have the nerve to play Ozlip, 'cause that's language that's in a whole other league! Maybe more Aussies can give us more of their vocabulary. I love it!

Thanks.
 :D
B-B-B
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:06:51 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »
G'day B-B-B

How're you going mate?  If you ever make it downunder to Oz I'm sure we'll  manage to chuck a prawn on the barbie and give you a cuppa. Onya.

Hooroo

Gaye
Gaye
   :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »
Gaye-

I'd adore having barbecued prawn and a good cup of java, if I read you right.
Thanks a bunch for the invite. Gotta start saving up - it's a long trip from the upside of the equator. I always thought the Aussies were a pretty cool bunch.

Onya and Hooroo back!
;)
B-B-B

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
G'day B-B-B

Your translation skills are excellent!

Gaye
Gaye
   :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
As Technomc can possibly confirm, "hols" is not exclusively Australian. Many dictionaries list it as Brit or UK, which generally seems to mean nothing more than "not in US". In Australia, we readily adopt slang from England, the US and anywhere else, which makes it quite a challenge to compile a list of specifically Australian words. A lot of the lists on the Web and in book form are full of "ring-ins".

Incidentally, "hols", being always used in the plural, is allowed in Chihuahua.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
Thanks, Alan and Technomc, for all the info on what us "colonials" used to call "the mother tongue," 21st Century style!

;D

It's been a hoot and a holla! Y'all come back now, heah (that's from cowboy country),

B-B-B

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
I'm registered, but I usually forget to log in.

Half the time I don't realise until I look for my name on the list to see how I'm doing, and notice that I'm now called "anon." Again. This means I'm probably responsible for one unregistered listing most days   :-[

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:10 PM »
hi B-B-B
is "java" coffee, cos if it is that's not a "cuppa" which is normally a cup of tea - i think - is that right gaye?
Viz

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:08:59 AM »
Yes, Viz - java is coffee, so, again, I've learned something new. I forgot how much you guys love tea. Actually, my mother taught me how to love tea, too. Do Aussies like it hot or on ice, or does it depend on the time of year?

???
B-B-B

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Anonsi,

Unfortunately, no, I don't usually play from my home computer, because my waking hours are currently divided equally between full-time University and (full-time) work, both of which have large networks which don't permit this sort of modification  :(

one day I'll have a life again... :-\

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »

hi bbb - mostly a 'cuppa" refers to hot milky tea, which i personally detest, but that is the "traditional" aussie cuppa - i'm a "java" drinker - short black (espresso) is my beverage of choice.
Viz

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 11:46:19 PM »
Well, then, Viz,

As for the beverages, I'd fit right in down under. I love seafood, too, so that's not a problem. Besides prawn and all that, what else is popular for everyday fare? Is there also an aboriginal cuisine that's gotten into mainstream cooking?

???
B-B-B

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »
hi bbb - we seem to have got onto my favourite topic which is food - i dont think that everyday fare is all that different to the US - we can get "roo" (Kangaroo) which is fairy easily available in some supermarkets and restaurants etc, and you can also get "Bush Tucker", various berries, spices, condiments etc, but that is a fairly "gourmet" market. Mostly we just eat the ordinary meat - lamb, beef, chicken etc. But in Melbourne, where i'm from we are very lucky to have a really extensive migrant population, which means we get lots of different cuisnines, ie vietnamese, thai, lebanese, turkish etc plus all the european types and so on. in fact at this very moment melbourne is having its food and wine festival  - Because the weather here is a bit cooler than Sydney (although this is rapidly changing due perhaps to global warming) we are more of an eating city wheras sydney is more of a beach city.

PS - just had prawns and oysters for lunch (yum) and now someone is going to make me a nice coffee (i hope)
Viz