Author Topic: Good luck, America  (Read 8509 times)

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Good luck, America
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
Donald J. Trump became the President-Elect of the United States of America at 3am, Wednesday, November 9th. 

Secretary Clinton telephoned Mr. Trump to congratulate him.

Mr. Trump gave a speech at his headquarters.  He spoke of Secretary Clinton's telephone call.  He praised her for her strong efforts in the presidential campaign.  He gave a very gracious speech, totally unlike all the previous speeches given during the presidential campaign.  He thanked many people who had assisted him in securing the office of President.

This was an extremely different Donald Trump without all the bluster and nastiness which he had previously exhibited.

Now the world will hold its breath to see what will transpire.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
Anyone got Lee Harvey Oswald's phone number?

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
Pat, actually I was thinking while there's death, there's hope, but I was too chicken to say so first. America may have its own way of resolving things if too many disasters occur. At least it may be only for four years if T can't make good his promises; Brexit will be more unpickable.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
You're right about Brexit, anona. While many people who voted for it might now be regretting it, having learnt that the campaign was built on lies, lies and more lies, and having discovered that their standard of living is likely to fall as a result of it, we're stuck with it for ever. There's no going back. We can at least hope that Americans come to their senses in four years' time (if not before); in the absolute worst case scenario Trump will be gone in eight.

A question for you Americans: if the women who claim that they were sexually assaulted by Trump start to make more noise and are taken seriously by the powers-that-be, resulting in Trump facing criminal charges and ultimately being found guilty, what would happen if that took place a) before he's sworn in and b) after he's sworn in?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:13 PM »
I'm not altogether sure that Brexit is a 100% certainty, Pat. There is, as you say, a great deal of opposition to it in UK, from all sides of the political spectrum. And where there is life, there must be hope.

A very well-written article in 'The Guardian' a couple of weeks back argued convincingly that if all those in UK who were  opposed to Brexit -  MPs, businessmen, academics and the general public - were to be properly organized, their voices would have to be heard and this act of lunacy and economic suicide could still be stopped.

The problem is:- the article was written by Tony Blair, a man who has become so loathed and mistrusted that few would wish to be seen following him.

MK

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 12:08:43 AM »
I wish I shared your optimism that Brexit might yet be stopped, Mike, but I don't think there's a chance. The Brexiteers would be outraged for one thing, and even though the referendum was only advisory, sufficient safeguards weren't put in place by the idiot prime minister along the lines of, say, needing at least a 10% margin for Brexit. But now that we can see what we've let ourselves in for, surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to hold another referendum.

It's ironic that some of those Brexiteers who desperately wanted parliament to be sovereign are now frothing at the mouth in anger at the three judges who made a ruling that completely endorses that view!

People, eh?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 12:13:06 AM »
WTF, America?  Unbelievably shocking result!  How can this possibly be right?  I am speechless .....

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 12:37:03 AM »
Did you see that the Chinese are delighted with the result because they say it  just shows what a messy and unpredictable business democracy is and it proves they're better off with Communism?

Angela Merkel's response was a masterpiece, wasn't it!

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
So many world over are utterly dazed. I live in a community originally built to house UN Personnel. Over the years,there have been shifts in the specifics of our diversity, especially after UN withdrew and we became a coop. Today, I have some neighbors with views widely divergent which I consider oftentimes harsh and illiberal. And yet there are many instances of true helpfulness and concern among some, without regard to highly significant differences.  At this tense historical moment, one can hold on to such empathizes until such time as firmer pathways of political sense are made.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 01:37:57 AM »
WTF, America?  Unbelievably shocking result!  How can this possibly be right?  I am speechless .....

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 03:27:02 AM »
Dear Fellow Chi Folk,

With trembling fingers, I write this. Nearly paralyzed with grief. Devastated. Never really understood that word until last night.
Consolation? It appears that Hillary Clinton actually won the popular vote. (I think it's the 5th time that's happened. The electoral college is a strange animal.) So, more than half of the voters are sharing this morning of desolation and near-despair.
Must stop now and try to breathe.

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »
Hillary Clinton did receive several million more actual votes than Donald Trump.

The margins for victory were extremely close in many states.  

However, people do not actually directly vote for the candidates themselves.  We actually vote for electors who then meet and vote for the president.

Whoever receives the greatest number of POPULAR votes in a state in nearly every case receives ALL the ELECTORAL votes for that state no matter how thin the margin.

As nineoaks has pointed out, on several occasions the candidate winning the greatest number of popular votes has NOT BEEN ELECTED president.

Both Hillary Clinton and President Obama gave thoughtful concession speeches.  President Obama says he benefited from an orderly transition of power when he was first elected in 2008, and he will accord Donald Trump the same orderly transition of power now.

Can someone relate what Angela Merkel's response was?  I have not heard about it.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:17:15 AM by Alonzo Quixote »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »
The bit of Angela Merkel's speech I saw quoted was:
"Germany and America are connected by values of democracy, freedom, and respect for the law and the dignity of man, independent of origin, skin colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or political views.

“I offer the next President of the United States close cooperation on the basis of these values."  (Values which in fact he possibly does not share?)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
The front page of today's 'Daily Mirror' says it all

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »

"Germany and America are connected by values of democracy, freedom, and respect for the law and the dignity of man, independent of origin, skin colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or political views."

Unfortunate wording there. Trump possibly does respect the dignity of man but sadly not of woman.