Author Topic: Melbourne Cup  (Read 6647 times)

Les303

Melbourne Cup
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:31:05 PM »
With prize money of 6 million dollars , the Melbourne cup is the richest 3200 metre horse race in the world & it was run today.
Each year we have challengers from Japan , England , France , Ireland, Germany & many other countries coming here to try to win our cup which makes it probably the most difficult race of the year in which to pick a winner.
After betting on this race since i was about 12 years old , with very moderate success, i have to tell you that today , i not only backed the winner ( Almandini - an import from Germany ) but i also had the trifecta & first four so without going into detail of the betting , i collected just under 30k.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Cup
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
Well done Les
That will keep you in beer money for a while
 ;D

Les303

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »
Thanks mate.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »
That's fab Les!  You could probably buy the brewery with that :laugh:
Is the reclining kangaroo here to stay??  Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »
My advice:  Castlemaine XXXX instead of Fosters.

Just my opinion.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
It would definitely be a xxxx brewery ( just no debate about that ) however i would be reluctant to make such an investment as i would most likely drink all the profits.

Les303

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »
That's fab Les!  You could probably buy the brewery with that :laugh:
Is the reclining kangaroo here to stay??  Penny

I tried to change my avatar yesterday to something that related to the cup but sadly my old hand me down laptop has decided it has had enough as it shuts itself down after anywhere between 10 & 45 minutes of being on line & then will often not restart at all until the next day which is of course very frustrating when it drops out in the middle of a chi game or when making a post so now i find myself rushing everything ,not knowing when i will be shut down. At least i won't have any problem finding the cash for a new laptop & you will just have to stay tuned to see if reclining kangaroo stays around.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:20 PM »
Could/would you do this with XXXX?

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
Absolutely clueless in America.  Would you care to explain your post?
Stevens Point, WI

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
In Australia, there is a north/south cultural divide where in Queensland and northern NSW they play rugby and drink XXXX beer. In Victoria they play Aussie rules football and drink Fosters or VB beer. (I'm Victorian and do neither.) Fosters & VB are made by the same company.

With Les' & a-nons comment about drinking XXXX rather than Fosters, I saw this cartoon of a VB flavoured muffin in yesterday's paper and thought it appropriate to the north/south rivalry.

Les303

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »
There is indeed an intense rivalry between all Australian states in most things but particularly when it comes to sports such as rugby union , rugby league ( the greatest game of all ) , cricket , soccer & Australian Rules.
I'm sure that Yelnats would agree that it is mostly all in good fun & all differences are put aside when players from several states combine to form an Australian team to represent their sport on the world stage in events such as the world cup.
Of course when it comes to "aerial ping - pong " the poor old Victorians do not have a world cup competition in which to compete & with regard to the VB flavoured muffin , well Yelnats , i'll just leave it up to your imagination as to exactly what i might do with such a repugnant item.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:27:40 PM by Les303 »

Barbaram

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:30:14 PM »
Les that's an amazing win for you! I bet a total of $16.50 and won absolutely zilch. And now you can afford a new laptop!

Les303

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 06:47:45 PM »
Thanks Barb,

The cost of a new laptop is not the issue , however knowing which one to buy , how to set it up & how to transfer stuff from my existing (near dead ) laptop is a real problem for this computer dinosaur so i just have to wait until it is convenient for a friend or RELLIE ( that's supposed to be a joke in reference to a different thread ) to take me computer shopping.
If you would like , i would only be too happy to send you the occasional tip although beware that i invested around $500 on the horses today for no return.

Cheers Les

Barbaram

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
Ill take you up on that next 1st Tuesday in November! And yes, having a young tech savvy relief is indeed almost a necessity...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
There is indeed an intense rivalry between all Australian states in most things but particularly when it comes to sports such as rugby union , rugby league ( the greatest game of all ) , cricket , soccer & Australian Rules.
I'm sure that Yelnats would agree that it is mostly all in good fun & all differences are put aside when players from several states combine to form an Australian team to represent their sport on the world stage in events such as the world cup.
Of course when it comes to "aerial ping - pong " the poor old Victorians do not have a world cup competition in which to compete & with regard to the VB flavoured muffin , well Yelnats , i'll just leave it up to your imagination as to exactly what i might do with such a repugnant item.

My understanding is that the rivalry in Melbourne between Carlton & Collingwood ARFL teams is pretty fierce ... though still nothing near as bad as that between Galatasaray and Fenerbahce in Turkish Association Football. In the case of those two Turkish clubs, the fans have been known to throw explosive devices at each other. When those two clubs play each other, the pitch is guarded by armed police, and the local boys in blue break out the armoured personnel carriers. The rivalry extends to frequent pitched battles between the players on the pitch too. You can savour a taste of Derby Day in Istanbul by watching this video clip, featuring the occasional petrol bomb, and this collection of player battles, featuring gratuitous fouls and vicious retaliatory moves on a grand scale. Hopefully nothing of that sort will occur in Oz. :)

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...