Author Topic: Hod and Birdy: quilts  (Read 7536 times)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Hod and Birdy: quilts
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:14:37 AM »
Hod and Birdy: have just noticed your kind June posts about quilts. I hope a jpg file is viewable and I've copied it correctly. I'm afraid mine are utilitarian, not art; but here's a single bed Drunkard's Path one I finished for my niece earlier this year (sadly, I don't think she likes it - and it was such a lot of work!) 20160626_112741 (1)(1).jpg
It's creased because I took the photo before final pressing.

If the file doesn't work, perhaps you can tell me how to copy a photo out of my tablet gallery?

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: Hod and Birdy: quilts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
Sadly, the attachment did not come through.  I would very much like to see it.

When you want to attach a file, click on "Additional Options" in the lower left of the post you are writing.  You might have to reduce the resolution to stay within the file size limitations, but that's fairly easy with only the most rudimentary tools like Microsoft Paint.

I would really like to see this.  In my book, the best presents are home made.  You put a part of yourself into this.  Take heart; if she does not seem to appreciate it today, she might appreciate it more in years to come.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »
Thank you very much indeed. I tried clicking on "Additional Options" and then selecting the picture as a file and it seems to have worked!
It's a single bed quilt laid out on a double bed just so I had a record of it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:06:21 PM by anona »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
That's lovely, anona, and it looks beautifully made. If your niece doesn't appreciate it you could always send it to me...

HOD

• Neophyte
  • Yarra Valley, Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
Hi Anona and everyone. That is indeed a beautiful quilt, I for one do not have the patience (or the skill!) to even attempt something so intricate. Speaking of quilts - it is the Seniors Festival here in Victoria at the moment. There are numerous activities and events held all over the state. I do voluntary work a few times a week at an historic site, among other attractions we have a gallery that hosts all manner of exhibitions throughout the year. During Seniors Week we have an exhibition of Fiddle Rugs (also called Sensory Blankets) - made by and for people suffering forms of Dementia and Alzheimer's. As a quilter you have probably heard of them? They are made up of all types of fabrics, yarns, textures, zips, buttons, lots of bright colours and materials - quite stunning. Most importantly they can be very helpful for those in the advanced stages of this horrible disease, where the need to touch or "fiddle" with things can become almost constant. It is lovely to see such beautiful objects helping to make people feel comfortable and happy. I will try to upload a photo.  :)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:27:42 AM »
HOD: no, I haven't heard of Fiddle rugs. I'll look them up. For a couple of years our group has made quilts for the Linus charity (children on long stay hospital visits).  This isn't at all close to my heart, but I'm more interested now Linus are branching out into helping women's refuges. I try to make my quilts either too big or too adult-coloured to be suitable for children's comfort blankets, in the hope they'll find their way to victims of domestic abuse.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
HOD:
Fiddle rugs?  I had not heard of them either, but they make perfect sense.  If you can, please try to scare up a photo.  It would be much appreciated.

Anona:
Helping the victims of domestic violence is an incredibly good cause.  On this side of the pond we have charities specifically targeted for this group.  In months gone by I have discussed this issue with my supervisor at work (who is really not that far from you).  I seem to recall that there are similarly targeted charities in your general region of the UK.  Would you like me to make some inquiries and maybe hook you up with one of them?

It goes without saying, and it goes beyond saying, that you are a good person.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Les303

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »
Ironically , i have just returned from Toowoomba this afternoon , where i have spent the last couple of days visiting my 84yr old mother who suffers from severe dementia & since reading your post on fiddle rugs & sensory blankets i have googled both to try to find out where they might be available in Brisbane but i could only find references to places in NSW & WA.
So HOD , i was hoping that through your contacts you might be able to advise of any locations or perhaps an affiliated association that i could contact here in Brisbane as these types of blankets sound ideal for mum.

{ I haven't changed my existing avatar , it is not meant to be comical but i think it is probably quite apt as in a lot of ways ,mum is now like a little child , trying to learn everything all over again but sadly any small achievement such as remembering how to use cutlery at breakfast is sadly forgotten by lunchtime.}

Thanks Les

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
Les - they appear to be called fidget quilts here in Oz, and there is a seller on Etsy in Brizzy...

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/481279209/sensory-tactile-fidget-activity-blanket?ref=market
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:29:49 AM by yelnats »

Les303

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 06:49:37 PM »
Thanks mate .... really appreciate that.

HOD

• Neophyte
  • Yarra Valley, Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »
Hi Les
I will certainly take some photos of our Fiddle Rug exhibit, they make an amazing display, so varied and colourful. My own dear, late mother suffered from severe Alzheimer's and we noticed that she was often fidgeting and drumming her fingers. Sadly, I was not aware of Fiddle Rugs at the time, I'm sure something like that would have been helpful. There seems to be a few different names for them, but this particular Dementia Support group, in Melbourne's outer East, call them Fiddle Rugs. I will definitely get some details for you, perhaps there is a local Dementia or Alzheimer's Support group near where you live, they may be able assist you? Be in touch....
HOD  :)

Les303

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »
Thank you so much. 

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
a non-amos:
We have the "Refuge" organisation in the UK. The thing is that none of the charities I look at say anything about sewing for them (except Linus, and Siblings Together).
We have our AGM next week; if others agree, I'll contact Refuge uk and see whether a local safe house would be interested in receiving quilts. It's possible that this is one of the charities your volleague knows of. If there are others, yes, thanks, I would be interested to know.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
Hod and Birdy: have just noticed your kind June posts about quilts. I hope a jpg file is viewable and I've copied it correctly. I'm afraid mine are utilitarian, not art; but here's a single bed Drunkard's Path one I finished for my niece earlier this year (sadly, I don't think she likes it - and it was such a lot of work!) 20160626_112741 (1)(1).jpg
It's creased because I took the photo before final pressing.

Thank you for posting that.  There's no accounting for tastes, but it's a shame your niece didn't like it.  I think it's beautiful - colors and pattern,  When I saw the small picture before I downloaded it and could see it better, I thought it was birds flying in all directions, which of course made it even more interesting to me. And if you don't want to send it to Pat, it would also be very welcome here.  :)

I wish I had the patience...not to mention the skill.  The fiddle quilts sound very interesting.  Sadly, I think one of my friends is beginning to lose it, and maybe I should start now to make one for her.

Melba

• Neophyte
  • Mayfield (NSW), Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
Anona I think your quilt is quite quite gorgeous!  I am a quilter too (when I am not knitting or crocheting or coming up with something at the request of my daughter *lol*).

In fact I have to say I really love your quilt.  Generally I am not a fan of the drunkards path pattern (& it's not just because I find the pattern such a PIA to work with  ;D :-R), however I have never seen a quilt with exactly the same layout of the blocks, it really works.  Like Birdy, I too thought 'birds' when I looked at your quilt.  Gorgeous colours too.
And I thought I was playing Chi just for the words.