Author Topic: Word suggestion: dosa  (Read 3524 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: dosa
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
A dosa is an Indian crepe/thin crisp pancake, usually served with a spicy filling. Delicious!  :-H I don't know if there are variant spellings, but that's how it's spelt in my favourite Indian restaurant (Woodlands in Marylebone, London).

Les303

Re: Word suggestion: dosa
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:56:52 AM »
Sorry Maudland but i am just not a big fan of Indian curries so "dosa" would not be a familiar word for me although i am sure that many others players will support your suggestion.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 02:04:31 AM »
LES303      You drink lager but you don't like curry??? Not like most British men I have ever come across!!! I hate the stuff but then I am a British female who spent many years working in a macho culture where men drank lager and ate curry as if their lives depended on it and I had to look as if I was one of them if I hoped to fit in. Not easy and thankfully no longer the area I work in.

Les303

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:16:56 AM »
Yes cmh , i do like Queensland beer but " just not a big fan of Indian curries ".
I actually quite enjoy the occasional curry but prefer to make up my own concoction.

So just to be clear , that is the curry that you hate , rather than the British men or the lager.? :)

And could i be so bold as to ask what that line of work might have been where you felt you had to fit into a macho culture.?

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:17:47 AM »
Oh yes it's the curry I hate ( most men are OK!) For a decade I sold cars and most car salesmen are unreconstructed cave men and/ or big kids but having said that I am now married to one that I worked with (always an exception to every rule as they say)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:22:59 AM »
You're missing a treat! I don't like hot curries  >:D but spices can be delicious... Besides, the dosa is a very thin, almost crispy pancake and you could fill in with baked beans if you wanted - doesn't have to be curry. I'm suggesting it as a rare word.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
Many of the Indian restaurants around here use the spelling dhosa. If I were to be eating one, I would almost certainly be drinking a lager.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
Not every dictionary lists dosa, but some Oxford dictionaries do, as does Wiktionary. And the word can be found in many English language periodicals - especially Indian ones, obviously, but also in the UK, US, Aus, etc.

I'll add it to our words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:44 AM »
Thanks, Alan!
 :-H

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »
Always glad for the addition of another word and the inclusion of other cultures.

CMH, I beg to differ with your opinion of curry.  Done properly, it's (at least) a four-way balancing act between the milder spices (think of apple pie spice), the wild and crazy hot spices, the fresh herbal flavors (an absolute must!) and the flavor of what you are currying, all in an onion based sauce.  You need to explore the other flavors of onion (it has many; it's not just the stuff that makes you cry).  The onion can actually add a minor bit of sweetness.  There is frequently some yogurt to tame the "wild and crazy" hot spices.  I might have mentioned something about balance.  Real balance is hard to achieve.  If you have to go overboard on something, go overboard on the fresh herbs.  Maybe only a tiny bit overboard?

I hope you find a better curry.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:57:19 AM »
I can honestly say that I have no intention of finding a better curry! Yoghurt is not an option as I am dairy intolerant but I do understand that it works as you say (I am allergic to chilli too which doesn't help!)The area of England that I am originally from and where my collegues subjected me to trial by curry has a large and varied Asian community and of course like any cuisine there are varying standards  and varying degrees of spiciness. I used to "cope" with a mild lamb rogan josh when I had to attend  these events but imagine my joy when in one more upmarket restaurant I discovered a quiet chicken stir fry of a more Chinese persuasion much to my collegues horror!I hasten to add that I love my food and I am an enthusiastic cook so it is not a case of only liking bland old fashioned English dishes.