Author Topic: common word? Aug 1 spoiler  (Read 3021 times)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
common word? Aug 1 spoiler
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »
I've been having a bad run.  Missing all the common words by one or two.  I keep hoping its a word I didn't know, but yesterday I missed by 3 common words, like "back."  Today was different.  I missed sillies.  Silly me, could have played it, but never dreamed it was a common word.  Is this a Britishism?  Or am I just odd here.
Stevens Point, WI

Les303

Re: common word? Aug 1 spoiler
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
Your certainly not on your " Pat - malone " mate.

I can only offer this suggestion although it is not always successful.
When i am struggling to find the last couple of words , i will take a break for 30 minutes or so then when i log back in that " easy " word will be very obvious & i am left scratching my head as to how i ever missed it.

What i find even more frustrating is ( particularly in those games with a large number of " easy " words ) i will identify a word & because there are so many words already played , i won't bother to check & think to myself that i would surely have already played that word only to find out it was played in a different game on that day or perhaps even the previous day.

As for those bloody plurals ..they catch me out just about every time.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
In OzEnglish, I haven't heard 'sillies' for a long time. It was a childhood word, maybe from a mother to children, or one group of kids to another.

I didn't get it.

Les303

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »
It just sounds silly to me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:29:56 PM by Les303 »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
Yelnats: I'm British, and I agree with you about use of "sillies". Affectionate, and usually used by mothers or children. As I get older, I find it hard to judge when/which words I know well are not used by younger people.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
TRex, you are a star at getting the common words.  If you missed it too, I don't feel so silly for missing it.
Stevens Point, WI

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:32 PM »
I don't know whether sillies (and silly as a noun that can be made plural) is specifically British. But it is quite rare, and I don't think it should remain as a common word.

Searches on sillies turn up a lot of references to The Three Sillies, an English folk tale that appeared in an 1890 book called English Fairy Tales, collected by Joseph Jacobs. A few years ago an updated version of the story, under the same title, was published by US children's writer Steven Kellogg.

A recent appearance of the word in literature was in The Stray Sod Country (2010) by Patrick McCabe: "O you men! she chuckled... You really can be such sillies at times, do you know that?" The book is set in Ireland in the 1950s.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:47 AM »
This weekend, I caught myself saying "You sillies!" to my husband and young daughter. I'm not sure if it was subconscious because I had read this thread.

:-L

But, either way, sillies is not uncommon to me and it's used in the same as others have mentioned.