Author Topic: Is there another word for this?  (Read 1820 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Is there another word for this?
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:55:55 AM »
I was surprised for yesterday's Challenge game that areola was only found by 39 out of 354 people. Considering everyone has areolae, I figured it'd be higher.

Is there a different word used in other English speaking countries?

Les303

Re: Is there another word for this?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
" The argument that almost everybody has two tibiae is not very compelling. There are plenty of bones and other anatomical features that we all have without having heard of their names. It would be impossible to do the puzzle unless you have a lot of glia in your brain, but that doesn't make it a common word. "

anonsi , the above quote is taken from the response by Alan to a similar query in the tibia thread & may help explain why areola was played by such a small number of people & also why it is classed as a rare word.

I am not aware of a different word that can be used to describe that part of the breast but i could certainly provide a few alternatives that are used to describe the entire organ. :)

By the way, how do you actually calculate how many players have played any particular word?

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
By the way, how do you actually calculate how many players have played any particular word?

Click on the box next to 'Counts' just beneath where the words you have played appear.

Les303

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Thank you Sir.

Les303

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
TRex , thanks again for the tip ,

I had to scroll down to find it but i did find the counts box along with define , drag & caps which are now all ticked to make playing & reviewing the game a lot easier.
( The caps box is especially helpful to those like myself with poor vision.)
Also there is the ' list by plays ' box.
This gives me an amazing overview of games played.
In particular , in those games when i am one frustrating word short of a rosette.
By viewing the ' list by plays ' i can see that not many players actually found that particular word which goes a long way to reducing my frustration although if the word has been played by heaps of players then i just give myself another uppercut for missing it.

Regards Les

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:34:53 PM by Les303 »