Author Topic: Spoiler challenge 21 July 16  (Read 8579 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Spoiler challenge 21 July 16
« on: July 21, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »
Having just been through an election where every policy announced was "UNCOSTED" I was surprised it wasn't accepted...

Over to you esteemed team leader...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:55:01 AM by yelnats »

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: Spoiler challenge 21 July 16
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
Or indeed, UNDERCOST, an alternative 9-letter word.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
Not a familiar term to Americans
Stevens Point, WI

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
I tried 'unscored' with the same result: 'sorry, not known'.

I suspect that Chi treats words starting with 'un-' in much the same way as he treats  words starting with 're-', that is to say there are just too many of them, so the majority of the less common ones get rejected.

MK

Les303

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
And so they should be rejected as they are are not proper or common words.

There are already a large number of words , half words , abbreviations etc..that are accepted in chi that in the real world do not exist or are rarely used however those words are accepted as a quirk of chi.

My concern is that if Alan continues to allow these " made up words " to be accepted then we will end up with a game with more " made up " words than actual proper words that are commonly used.

STAND DOWN EVERYONE ; I' am not having a go at Alan as i appreciate that every word he approves is thoroughly researched & deeply considered before being approved plus he always provides very detailed evidence to explain his decision.

Just my opinion but i'm ducking for cover! :-V

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:05:06 AM by Les303 »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:32:36 PM »
The English language provides various techniques for its users to create their own words. Adding a prefix, such as un or re, or adding a suffix such as able or ness. If the result of this process is meaningful and can be used in speech or writing, I would say it is a real word.

However, not every word formed by such a construction is listed in dictionaries. If the meaning, derivation and pronunciation are obvious, it doesn't need to be in the dictionaries. Lexicographers seem to follow the practice of listing these constructed words when either they have a non-obvious usage, or they are used quite frequently.

So, what is Chi's policy? Probably similar to the dictionaries, but if a suggestion is made I conduct my own assessment, so that I may accept such a word even if I don't find it in any dictionary.

Contrary to what people may imagine, it is not my aim to include every genuine English word. The word list has a lot of very rare words - it always has - but there are plenty of even rarer words that are not included. This is not spelt out in the explanations on the website, but it does say, "...you can use almost any English word you can think of that satisfies the above rules." (What words are permitted? on the Questions and Answers page) Note the qualification "almost".

In terms of the family of Oxford dictionaries, I am not inclined to accept a word that is only found in the largest of those works, the Oxford English Dictionary (which ran to 20 volumes the last time it was printed). But the next largest work, the 2-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, seems to be at about the right level of inclusiveness, so a word found in that dictionary will be given careful consideration.

Turning to the original suggestion, uncosted is in the Shorter Oxford, meaning "not costed; without the cost having been determined". As yelnats said, the word has been freely thrown around during the recent Australian election. It seems to be subject to regional variation around the world. The News on the Web corpus has it most frequently used in Australia, followed by Ireland, Great Britain and New Zealand. The US has only one example in over 500 million words of text, which rounds to 0.00 words per million. Another international corpus, the Corpus of Web-Based Global English shows NZ as the most frequent user of uncosted, followed by Australia and Great Britain. Presumably Americans use some other expression to describe a proposal or plan whose cost has not been estimated, e.g. the Great Wall of Mexico.

I think uncosted definitely warrants inclusion as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »
Good on you, Yelnats , i believe that is three out of three for you.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
I'm still amazed that 'skun' is not a word. When I was in short pants I regularly fell over and skun (skinned) my knee. I haven't checked with my siblings yet but last week had a fellow Melbournian remember having skun a rabbit.

Les303

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
Quit while your ahead !

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:05:17 AM »
Quit while your ahead !

My ahead what?

Les303

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 05:17:08 PM »
enisform ,

Quit while your ahead is just a phrase which means to stop while you are in front.

It was directed to Yelnats who in the short time he has been with chi , has managed to convince Solomon err Alan to add three words to the chi list.
In a not very subtle manner he again dropped " skun " into the conversation.
So i was suggesting that he give up on " skun" as i can not imagine that Alan ( even with the wisdom of Solomon) would be adding " skun " to the chi words list.

Of course it wouldn't be the first time that i've been entirely wrong.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:24:04 PM by Les303 »

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 05:58:41 PM »
Les, ensiform was referring to your misuse of 'your' which is possessive.  You should have said 'you're'.  It's a common error.  In fact, it's an error that seems to have reached epidemic proportions!   

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
In fact, it's an error that seems to have reached epidemic proportions!   

Your right their, Morbius!

Les303

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »
Apologies to you enisform & of course everyone else as well.

I guess that one went ' straight over my head '

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »
There's absolutely no need to apologize, Les. Everyone knew what you meant, including ensiform. There's no rule that insists on using perfect grammar on the forum.