Author Topic: Should " seine" be common  (Read 8509 times)

Les303

Re: Should " seine" be common
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Yelnats , could we please have a young Jon Voight picture...( even though i think Pat is just sucking up )

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

Still little resemblance...

this picture of JV has a closer resemblance to my picture (left)!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:07:11 PM by yelnats »

Les303

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
Thanks mate & i agree , far too good looking to resemble anything like Alan , although if Alan were to be gracious enough to post a picture of himself in his youth , then we might all be surprised. :o

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
Not THAT young a Jon Voight!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile

Les303

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
Yes , There is definitley a resemblance there although i still reckon mine was closer.

The silence from Alan is hysterical , what must the poor man be thinking ??? ??? ???

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:54 PM »
Here is a pic of me in younger days. I know it looks like the beard and glasses are drawn on, but I assure you they're not.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 02:01:10 AM »
I must say, Alan, that like a lot of men, your looks have improved with age!  Pity the same doesn't apply to women!!   >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:41 AM »
Bummer, that.

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 10:54:06 AM »
Linda, based on your picture, looks like age worked for you!
Stevens Point, WI

Les303

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
While looks are of little importance to me , i do agree with Tom44.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 01:46:56 PM »
Hear, hear!

MK

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »
Yikes!  How kind!  However, that picture was taken a few years' ago now so don't be misled by appearances!   >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
Let's get back to the original issue: should seine become a common word? I'm not persuaded that it should.

The vast majority of examples of that sequence of letters are of course the name of the river, which is not eligible because of its capital S. The next most common occurrence, in the Corpus of American English, seemed to be the German word for his, in German passages quoted in English books and articles. The fishing/butterfly net meaning was the third most common, and that seemed to be concentrated in magazines like National Parks, Conservation and National Geographic.

The word may be in your dictionary from schooldays, Les (although it was never clarified whether that was with a capital S or not), but it's not included in quite a few "Advanced Learners" dictionaries, aimed at people learning English as a second language - like the Cambridge Dictionary. The "3of6game" word list was compiled recently from 6 such dictionaries by the creator of the 12 Dicts package, Alan Beale. This list, which doesn't include seine, is designed specifically to be used in word games based on common words. On the other hand, the word is found in the "2 of 12" list compiled from learners' dictionaries published in the US.

I need to be reasonably certain a word should be common before I classify it so. I'm not certain at all about seine, so I'm leaving it as rare.

Just one thing I'm curious about - tpc, why do you try to remember which words are common and which rare? Don't you just play every word you know is a word?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
No Alan , it did not have a capital s in my old dictionary , if it had , i would have known not to even pose the question.

Regardless of that , i do thank you for taking the time to respond & research the suggestion so thoroughly as you always do & of course as always , happy to go along with your decision.

I would just like to reiterate my point from the bunt thread & that is that i am sure that there are now a number of players who will now play seine whereas prior to this thread it was only known to them as the river which of course could not be played.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:55:59 PM by Les303 »