Author Topic: A rather vulgar word suggestion  (Read 4808 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
A rather vulgar word suggestion
« on: March 25, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
I tried cameltoe in yesterday's standard puzzle, but it was rejected.  I subsequently looked it up and it is listed in several dictionaries (including Wiktionary).  It can also be spelt as two words.  As coarse as it is, it is part of the modern vernacular and should be included in my view, probably as a rare word.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: A rather vulgar word suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:41 PM »
It's a word, it's in recognized dictionaries, it should be part of Chi's lexis (its 4-letter synonym appears often enough in Chi).
Definitely rare, however!

MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:58:19 AM »
Never heard of it before this (and rather wish I hadn't!). Eeewwww.

The OED does not include it.

Les303

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
Happy Easter everyone ...I suspect quite a few players (particularly those from Australia ) may have tried cameltoe although they probably prefer not to admit it. (sorry Trex ..one of our not so nice saying's & definitely not one of my favourites ). However i did try it & like Mike was surprised when it was not accepted.
As MK points out , the 4 letter synonym often comes up without any protestations &  i've seen several  responses from Alan re controversial words where Alan ( as i understand it ) will emphasise that the various interpretations , definition or emotion of that particular word has no relevance in a game such as chi which is simply designed to acknowledge the valid existence of that particular word.
(Alan , i'm certainly not trying to represent your views but simply my interpretation of some of your posts , so please correct me where necessary )
 In a similar vein (refer to the sunup thread ), i have also tried a couple of words that i thought were always hyphenated only to find that they were accepted.?

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »
As a southerner in Oz, I have never heard 'cameltoe' and will have to look it up to see what the common 4 letter synonym is.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
I have seen this word before but did not think to try it. It is not common, but I have no objection to its being added to the Chihuahua lexicon.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
Somehow this term has not come up in my regency romances or science fiction reading.  Always good to expand my vocabulary, but I am not sure I'll be able to work it into my conversation any time soon.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Demeaning and vulgar.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Quite common in the various regions of the US I have lived.

Whether it is demeaning or vulgar is utterly irrelevant, of course.  It should be included if it is used.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
Disagree. What about a sense of morality and making a stand for what is right? Otherwise where do we reach a limit of what is acceptable? Nothing is utterly irrelevant.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
I disagree about the word's commonness. I had not encountered it before this thread and wish I hadn't, let alone found what it meant. (There isn't an 'undo' for the memory, unfortunately.) But since the practice has been to include all words — and there are plenty of offensive words deemed acceptable for play — I think the vulgarity or offensiveness is irrelevant.

One can only hope the word does not yet have sufficient usage — as mentioned before, it is not in the OED — that it doesn't qualify for inclusion.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »
Well, first of all, just how vulgar is this word? (Leaving aside for the moment the question of whether it is one word or two.)

Wiktionary defines cameltoe as "(slang) The visibility of a woman's labia or vulva, as a consequence of wearing tight pants." To be extra helpful, Wiktionary provides photos of a woman's tight pants and a camel's toes.

Logically there should be no reason for this expression to be any more degrading and vulgar than builder's cleavage, the term used mainly in Britain for a segment of buttock crack visible when a man's trousers are too low at the back, or the Australian budgie smugglers, for a man's briefs-style swimming costume. But in practice, the relations between the sexes being what they are, the term that applies to a woman might be more likely to be used in such a way as to humiliate or embarrass.

But as people have pointed out, it's a long standing policy for Chihuahua to accept any word that is a word, regardless of its meaning or how it is used. If cameltoe were admitted, it would be tagged as a potentially offensive word, so that players could avoid the risk of seeing it by creating their own puzzles under the Your Puzzles tab, and ticking the box labeled "Exclude words that may offend". The word would also be excluded from Chi puzzle books.

Having sorted out those preliminaries, I have to say that I'm not persuaded the word should be accepted. The expression seems to be written as two words most of the time, sometimes with a hyphen. I've not been able to find the one-word version in any dictionary other than Wiktionary. And if I accept Wiktionary as sufficient authority in this matter, I would have to acknowledge the word as a verb too, with inflected forms cameltoed and cameltoeing. Frankly, I don't believe it! Admittedly, the latter word is too long to be an issue for Chihuahua, but if I don't believe such a word exists, the credibility of Wiktionary in this matter is undermined.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't be too upset if it wasn't accepted.  For the record, however, it is listed at dictionary.com and on Wikipedia, in both cases as an alternative to the two word version, which does seem to be the predominant spelling.